1998 LSC Collectors edition smog emission pump

PaulPool89

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have a 1998 Lincoln mark viii lsc collectors edition.

I'm getting the code for the smog emission pump. Can anyone help supply me the diagram or how-to change it?

Hello everyone! I have a 1998 Lincoln mark viii lsc collectors edition.

I'm getting the code for the smog emission pump. Can anyone help supply me the diagram or how-to change it?

You need another pump. It is behind the inner bumper. To access it, the bumper cover has to come off. I have one for sale if you need it. PM me.

Thank you. So if I take the front bumper off, it'll be easy to access right there?

I have a bigger problem now. I drove thry some flood water, and my car won't start now. I'm getting power, and I only here one click when I turn the key.

I took a look at air intake and it seemed to be wet. I read that you gotta take out the plugs and rotor let it dry and turn over to get water out if its in there. Does anyone have a diagram for doing the tune up on this? Seems to be some stuff that needs to be moved aside

Thank you. I have a bigger problem now. I drove thry some flood water, and my car won't start now. I'm getting power, and I only here one click when I turn the key.

I took a look at air intake and it seemed to be wet. I read that you gotta take out the plugs and rotor let it dry and turn over to get water out if its in there. Does anyone have a diagram for doing the tune up on this? Seems to be some stuff that needs to be moved aside
Did the car run after you went thru flood water? I hope you didn't hydro lock the engine. (DEAD)

No I didnt make it thru, and on-coming car pushed higher water my water and the car just died. I still have power, and I hear the fuel pump and a single click. I've been letting it sit for a few hours and still no change.

Does anyone have a diagram of manual guide of pulling the plugs and rotor cap that I read have to dry up? And yes I hope I didn't lock it up. Its Sunday so can't do anything but get it towed.

No I didnt make it thru, and on-coming car pushed higher water my water and the car just died. I still have power, and I hear the fuel pump and a single click. I've been letting it sit for a few hours and still no change.

Does anyone have a diagram of manual guide of pulling the plugs and rotor cap that I read have to dry up? And yes I hope I didn't lock it up. Its Sunday so can't do anything but get it towed.

Stop working on anything else right now. You most likey killed the engine by hydro locking it. This means you bent a connecting rod and engine is junk. First thing you need to do is get a socket on front crank bolt and see if you can turn engine over. Make sure it rotates like 4 times. If you can GREAT if you can't OH NO. FYI you don't have rotor cap. You have COP (coil on plug) ignition. You should pull all 8 plugs first.

Stop working on anything else right now. You most likey killed the engine by hydro locking it. This means you bent a connecting rod and engine is junk. First thing you need to do is get a socket on front crank bolt and see if you can turn engine over. Make sure it rotates like 4 times. If you can GREAT if you can't OH NO. FYI you don't have rotor cap. You have COP (coil on plug) ignition. You should pull all 8 plugs first.

Okay, how do I identify that? Can you show me a visual of where the socket goes on?

You have 4 little round nuts on top of each valve cover. Remove those and there's where your plugs are. You'll need a fairly long extension to go along with the socket for the plugs. If I had to guess with Right On The Mark, I'd say it's hrdro-locked also but you may get lucky. Just be prepared for the worse. You can get these motors for $500 or less, with low miles.

NVM, you have a Gen 2... Don't know where my mind was when I posted this but I'll leave it lol.

I got it towed to a mechanic, waiting to hear back.

If it is hydralocked, because its in such nice shape otherwise, would anyone be interested in buying it off me? Can put new engine or sell it for parts, everything else works. Anyone In the NJ/philly area?

Car is running!
Mechanic said there was gallons of water in it, both engine and intake manifold. He took manifold out and plugs out and blasted water out, said he was amazing it ran when he put it back together.
But now I need a front wheel bearing. Saw a picture guide online, seems pretty simple take off calipers and take of the 32mm nut and slide/bang the bearing off and slide on a new one.

Now were back to the original question. I need to take off the front bumper to get to the smog pump. Is there any guide for doing this whole procedure?

Great news! So we can now really know you by your screen name. POOL, keep car out of them! LOL You got very lucky and hope you learned a lesson. Don't drive thru deep water. If you remove the intake silencer in the wheel well it makes this harder to happen also.
Yes front wheel bearing will be a HUB/flange assembly. Simple as pie just like you said.

Car is running!
Mechanic said there was gallons of water in it, both engine and intake manifold. He took manifold out and plugs out and blasted water out, said he was amazing it ran when he put it back together.
But now I need a front wheel bearing. Saw a picture guide online, seems pretty simple take off calipers and take of the 32mm nut and slide/bang the bearing off and slide on a new one.

Now were back to the original question. I need to take off the front bumper to get to the smog pump. Is there any guide for doing this whole procedure?

Front ones are easy. You can buy Timken Hub/Bearing Assemblies all put together for you for $50 on Amazon or Rockauto. All you need to do is pop the old one off and pop the new one on. Rear wheels...not as easy.

Thank you. So if I take the front bumper off, it'll be easy to access right there?

I have a bigger problem now. I drove thry some flood water, and my car won't start now. I'm getting power, and I only here one click when I turn the key.

You do not have to take the bumper off. It's on the driver's side behind the bumper but very easy to remove
I have the same car.

Members online

No members online now.
Back