1998 Lincoln Continental Fuel Pump Problems???

johnric79

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello all... I bought a 98 Continental about a month ago off of Craigslist. Thought I got a heck of a deal and still would if I could only get a nagging problem to go away.
Two hours or so after I bought it, I attempted to get on I-75. After pushing the accelarator half way down, the car bogged down, started bucking, RPMs plummeted and it eventually stalled. The Check Engine light came on. I immediately took it to Autozone and the code came up as Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor out of range and it also threw a couple of lean codes. Went to local Ford dealership and bought a new one. Replacing it seemed to help a little bit, but anything more than halfway down on the accelerator causes havoc. I reset the CEL.
After that, I talked to a mechanic buddy of mine. He suggested that I change the TPS. I did that and there was no improvement. Later, the CEL came on again... Cylinder 1 misfire. Replaced #1 coil. Eventually, the CEL came on again and this time it was cylinder 3 misfire. Replaced #3 coil pack and all 8 spark plugs.
Here's the kicker... I decided to change the fuel filter. While I was under the car, I noticed some wiring had been rigged up going to the fuel pump harness. After doing some research and tracing the wires, I discovered that someone had cut the black ground wire and grounded it to the frame. Also, the white/red wire which I think is the constant power for the fuel pump has been run to the power distribution box under the hood. The wire is under a relay. I thought that they had done this to bypass a non-working fuel pump driver module. So, I wired the two wires back to their intended locations and hooked up a new FPDM. The car wouldn't start.
The car is throwing no codes at the present and it is my daily driver. I know it's running lean because the exhaust has a strong gasoline odor to it. I also figure that the fuel pump is running anytime the the switch is on. That can't be good.
Any thoughts on how to diagnose this? I bought this car to drive back and forth to school at UT-Chattanooga. I can't really afford to take it to dealership, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Sorry for the long post. I appreciate this forum and any help you can offer me.

--John

1998 Lincoln Continental

I'm having the exact same problem!!!! I have done a lot of testing myself, and had a mechanic and a Ford Dealer check it out. Still doing it.

Sounds like you did not replace the plug wires. If True, you need to replace them.

Plug Wires?

It seems like a misfire but it's not! It's something in the Fuel/Electrical supply to the pump.

It seems like a misfire but it's not! It's something in the Fuel/Electrical supply to the pump.

change your fuel filter,coils,plugs, it has to be one of those. Let me know how it goes.

I Have a 1998 Continental with fuel pump problems as well I am looking for the Inertia fuel reset button...does anybody know where i can find it??

1998 lincoln fuel pump issues / wiring

A mechanic just proposed to hard wire my fuel pump in my 98 Lincoln

It seems the fuel bog down , bucking and stall is caused by the pump , which by reduction in amperage, slows down & speeds up to regulate the fuel vapor in the tank being fed to the engine to burn. complicated technology. No error codes for my car . It seems this was new technology in 98, and discontinued soon after. Hard wiring will provide constant juice to the pump & likley turn on the engine idiot lite. unless that was disabled.

all this to get around an expensive pump replacement $ 280 -$ 380 plus labor ...if..... that's the real problem. my issue is not resolved either. best of success kd

from another guy trying to diagnose this (or another) fuel issue . I'm digging more about this system - here is a description of the operation of the fuel system from the shop manual -- it does shed some light on the operation.
---------------------------------------------
The fuel system consists of a fuel tank with reservoir, fuel pump, fuel rail pressure sensor, fuel filter, fuel supply line, engine fuel temperature sensor, fuel rail, fuel injectors, and Schrader/pressure test point. Operation of the system is as follows.
The fuel delivery system is enabled during crank or running mode once the PCM receives a crankshaft position (CKP) sensor signal.
The fuel pump logic is defined in the fuel system control strategy and is executed by the PCM.
The PCM commands a duty cycle to the fuel pump driver module (FPDM).
The fuel pump driver module modulates the voltage to the fuel pump (FP) to achieve the proper fuel pressure. Voltage for the fuel pump is supplied by the power relay or FPDM power supply relay.
The fuel rail pressure (FRP) sensor provides the PCM with the current fuel rail pressure. The PCM uses this information to vary the duty cycle output to the FPDM to compensate for varying loads.
The engine fuel temperature (EFT) sensor measures current fuel temperatures in the fuel rail. This information is used to vary the fuel pressure and avoid fuel system vaporization.
The fuel injector is a solenoid-operated valve that meters the fuel flow to each combustion cylinder. The fuel injector is opened and closed a constant number of times per crankshaft revolution. The amount of fuel is controlled by the length of time the fuel injector is held open. The injector is normally closed and is operated by 12 volt VPWR from the power relay. The ground signal is controlled by the PCM.
A pressure test point valve (Schrader valve) is located on the fuel rail. This is used to measure fuel injector supply pressure for diagnostic procedures and repairs.
There are three filtering or screening devices in the fuel delivery system. The intake sock is a fine, nylon mesh screen mounted on the intake side of the fuel pump. There is a fuel filter screen located at the fuel rail side of the fuel injector. The fuel filter assembly is located between the fuel pump and the pressure test point/Schrader valve.
The fuel pump (FP) module is a device that contains the fuel pump and the fuel sender assembly. The fuel pump is located inside the reservoir and supplies fuel through the fuel pump module manifold to the engine and the fuel pump module jet pump.
The inertia fuel shut-off (IFS) switch is used to de-energize the fuel delivery secondary circuit in the event of a collision. The IFS switch is a safety device that should only be reset after a thorough inspection of the vehicle (following a collision).

Members online

Back