1998-02 Lincoln Continental Oil Change Procedure DIY

Svets96

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I wanted to document how to do an oil change on 98-02 Lincoln Continentals. Keep in mind you'll spend probably $25-$27 dollars getting the oil and filter at Walmart, although if you take it to the dealer its around $35.00 with tax or so, along with them giving you a rotation with "The Works" coupon deal. It is really not that hard of a procedure for you to do, I enjoy doing work on my car others will view differently. I will list what you need and what to do. Here we go....

Tools you will need:

-3/8 drive ratchet
-3/8 drive 10 in or 12 in. get the long extension (makes getting oil filter off very easily)
-Sure Bilt oil filter cap wrench 93 mm 36 flute 3/8 drive
-16mm 6 pt. wrench or 16mm 6 pt. socket with extension. Either a 3/8 drive or 1/2 drive with 3/8 adapter. (Reason being is the oil drain plug is really on there tightly. If its not on there tight it will leak, yes there is a seal. This happened to me, so keep an eye on it you may have to tighten it a lot or not. Look for oil seepage around the drain plug and tighten as necessary.)
-Oil drain pan
-MotorCraft Synthetic 5W 20 oil 6 quarts is the capacity in the oil pan. ( I use Motorcraft you can buy which ever you like)
-MotorCraft FL820S Oil filter (has the anti-drain back valve for lubricated start-up)
-Paper towels, brake parts cleaner to clean up oil drips, keep oil filter box to place old filter in, oil container to put old oil in to take to recycling.

1. Buy a set of Rhino Ramps to drive the car up on. Make sure the tires are planted on top of the indentations.
-Put parking brake on.
-Turn off air ride. (so car will not level itself and move down the ramps on you!!)
-Chock rear wheels.

IMG_0004_zpsfe6n1z49.jpg

2. Take off lower radiator air deflector, there is 3 bolts you need to take off, then unsnap the 5 plastic push pins. (you don't have to take yours off, there is a oil filter access point on it as you can see. I took mine off when I changed my coolant.):

IMG_0008_zpsitsicy8d.jpg

3. Place oil drain pan underneath oil pan on car. The oil pan is located on passenger side, drain plug is pointing toward back of car (the bolt in the center of oil pan in this photo) Sorry for the dark photo. Use 16mm wrench or socket to take out. Put drain plug back in when oil is done draining:

IMG_0009_zpsqgmbpwce.jpg

4. Place oil drain pan underneath filter. Put paper towels over subframe to capture excess oil spillage, Place plastic bag over filter, take your socket and extension with oil filter cap wrench and turn counter clockwise filter will come off and keep bag on it and will drop right in. There will be oil leaking all over but at least not as much. It worked for me. Make sure the gasket from the old oil filter came off with the filter. It is a black O-ring. Wipe off oil filter housing oil cooler, Pre-fill new oil filter about 1/2 way up, put some new oil on the new filter gasket on top, line up the filter onto the housing screw and tighten it clockwise by hand first. I used the filter wrench to tighten it about 1/2 a turn. Clean up mess with brake parts cleaner and paper towels get all the spilled oil off of subframe. (Don't be alarmed if you see a couple drips of oil later, there are holes in the subframe where the excess spilled and now is showing up. But check for leaks anyway:

IMG_0007_zpsyrfrrki8.jpg

5. Put oil in 6 quarts, start car up, wait until the check engine light goes off typically 2 seconds. Turn on air ride, take tire chock out, turn off Emergency brake, back car slowly off ramps. Check Oil Level it should read below/at MAX mark:

IMG_0006_zpsvyizpmxj.jpg

6. Place new oil change sticker on windshield for next service.

There you have it run the car 5,000 miles and do it all over again. :headbang: ( even 7,000 miles if you go by Lincoln's service schedule)

Members online

No members online now.
Back