1997 4.6 non starting

jrod

LVC Member
Reaction score
Where is the crank position sensor located on my Lincoln. I want to fix whatever is wrong with ASAP. It breaks my heart to have it just sit it the garage. Thanks!

jrod said:
Where is the crank position sensor located on my Lincoln..

jrod...
If I'm not mistaken, you don't have a crank position sensor, it's a camshaft position (CMP) sensor in the Conti 4.6.

The Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor is a variable reluctance sensor which is triggered by the high-point mark on the camshaft sprocket.

It's positioned on the engine front cover, just below the surface of the left cyl. head

Here's some R&R text from my 1996 manual

Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor

Removal

1. Disconnect battery ground cable.

2. Partially drain cooling system.

3. Remove upper radiator hose from water bypass tube and position water bypass tube out of the way.

4. Disconnect engine control sensor wiring from camshaft position sensor (CMP sensor).

5. Remove camshaft position sensor retaining screw and remove camshaft position sensor from engine front cover.

Installation

1. Make sure camshaft position sensor mounting surface is clean and that camshaft position sensor O-ring is properly located on camshaft position sensor.

2. CAUTION: Do not overtighten camshaft position sensor retaining screw or possible damage to camshaft position sensor may occur.

Position camshaft position sensor and install retaining screw. Tighten to 8-12 N-m (71-106 lb-in).

3. Connect engine control sensor wiring to camshaft position sensor.

4. Install upper radiator hose onto the water bypass tube. Properly position hose clamp on the upper radiator hose.

5. Fill and bleed engine cooling system.

6. Connect battery ground cable..

remove the right hand tire ,the sensor is located at the front lower rh side of the engine,thats if your standing behind the engine. ford advises us to pull the wiring out of the connector and solder the wire for better connection.and also make sure that the terminal has a tight fit . have seen poor fit cause no starts,unplug and replug and it starts.

Hey

jrod said:
Where is the crank position sensor located on my Lincoln. I want to fix whatever is wrong with ASAP. It breaks my heart to have it just sit it the garage. Thanks!
I HAVE A 96 AND I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM I GOT A BOOK FROM CHILTON AND IT SAYS THAT THE CPS IS LOCATED ON THE SIDE OF THE FRONT TIMING COVER IT IS KINDA HARD TO GET AT. I CALLED THE DEALER AND THEY SAID IT WOULD COST ALMOST 300 FOR PARTS AND LABOR. I BELIEVE THE PART IS BETWEEN 30 AND 60 BUCKS. SO IT HAS TO BE HARD TO GET AT. IF YOU KNOW HOW TO CHANGE IT LET ME KNOW AND IF I FIND OUT I WILL LET YOU KNOW. THANKS AND GOOD LUCK
MARK

MARK01 said:
I HAVE A 96 AND I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM I GOT A BOOK FROM CHILTON AND IT SAYS THAT THE CPS IS LOCATED ON THE SIDE OF THE FRONT TIMING COVER IT IS KINDA HARD TO GET AT. I CALLED THE DEALER AND THEY SAID IT WOULD COST ALMOST 300 FOR PARTS AND LABOR. I BELIEVE THE PART IS BETWEEN 30 AND 60 BUCKS. SO IT HAS TO BE HARD TO GET AT. IF YOU KNOW HOW TO CHANGE IT LET ME KNOW AND IF I FIND OUT I WILL LET YOU KNOW. THANKS AND GOOD LUCK
MARK

that is the camshaft sensor and while a knuckle buster isnt that hard to get to.dont you just love stealerships :wrench

john :L
Description Year List Price Core Price Your Price
CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR, Continental 95-02 $20.27 $15.20

Description Year List Price Core Price Your Price
CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR, Continental 95-02 $27.82 $20.87

The Crankshaft Sensor Is On The Side Of The Front Timeing Cover According To Chilton Automotive Books. I Am Fixing Mine This Weekend I Will Post More When I Find Out For Sure. Aristo Thanks For The Prices Of The Sensor. If You Have Any More Advice Post It Please. Ty

HEY JROD I JUST FIXED MINE TODAY AND I FOUND OUT EXACTLY WHERE IT IS LOCATED AND WHAT COULD BE UR PROBLEM. IF YOU PULL OFF YOUR PASSENGER SIDE FRONT WHEEL YOU WILL SEE THE HARMONIC BALANCER AND TO THE REAR OF IT IS A ELECTRIC PLUG IN IT HAS A BOLT THAT HOLDS IT IN AND THAT IS THE CRANK SENSOR. IT IS EASY TO REPLACE. BUT YOURS MAY NOT BE BROKEN IT JUST MIGHT HAVE A FAULTY CONNECTION. I WIGGLED MINE AROUND A LITTLE BIT AND THEN I STARTED MY CAR AND BOOM IT STARTED UP. IF IT IS BROKEN YOU WILL MORE THAN LIKELY HAVE TO ORDER IT FROM THE PARTS STORE. I DID THIS BEFORE I FOUND OUT IT WAS A BAD CONNECTION AND NO PARTS STORE AROUND HERE HAD IT IN STOCK THEY HAD TO ALL ORDER IT EVEN THE DEALER. AT ADVANCE AUTO PARTS IT WILL RUN YOU AROUND 30 DOLLARS AT THE DEALER IT IS A LITTLE MORE. IF YOU NEED ANY MORE HELP FEEL FREE TO SEND ME AN EMAIL HOTFITCHGUY01@YAHOO.COM. I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK MAN. MARK

MARK01 said:
HEY JROD I JUST FIXED MINE TODAY AND I FOUND OUT EXACTLY WHERE IT IS LOCATED AND WHAT COULD BE UR PROBLEM. IF YOU PULL OFF YOUR PASSENGER SIDE FRONT WHEEL YOU WILL SEE THE HARMONIC BALANCER AND TO THE REAR OF IT IS A ELECTRIC PLUG IN IT HAS A BOLT THAT HOLDS IT IN AND THAT IS THE CRANK SENSOR. IT IS EASY TO REPLACE. BUT YOURS MAY NOT BE BROKEN IT JUST MIGHT HAVE A FAULTY CONNECTION. I WIGGLED MINE AROUND A LITTLE BIT AND THEN I STARTED MY CAR AND BOOM IT STARTED UP. IF IT IS BROKEN YOU WILL MORE THAN LIKELY HAVE TO ORDER IT FROM THE PARTS STORE. I DID THIS BEFORE I FOUND OUT IT WAS A BAD CONNECTION AND NO PARTS STORE AROUND HERE HAD IT IN STOCK THEY HAD TO ALL ORDER IT EVEN THE DEALER. AT ADVANCE AUTO PARTS IT WILL RUN YOU AROUND 30 DOLLARS AT THE DEALER IT IS A LITTLE MORE. IF YOU NEED ANY MORE HELP FEEL FREE TO SEND ME AN EMAIL HOTFITCHGUY01@YAHOO.COM. I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK MAN. MARK

hi mark the knuckle buster is the camshaft sensor it is at the topright front of the radiator side cylinder bank.the crankshaft sensor as you found out is pretty easy to.
heres a hint to make the job much easier anytime you want to do work at the front of the engine ie....belts sensors and such just undo the coolant overflow and ps tank.minimize spillage and plug the lines.you now have a tremendously easier area to work in and you have access to the suspension airlines and easy access to the air compressor.simple and common sense i know ,but it still surprises me how many guys wont or dont know to remove these for access.and for best prices on true ford lincoln parts call max at 5 star in the links at right.he is a hella nice guy and has very very good prices esp. if he knows(tell him) you are an LVC member.
as for the loose out of position crank sensor this is a common problem.
john :L

mark is that beaufort nc ?if so anytime you need help you can shoot to goldsboro ill be glad to help you.

Members online

No members online now.
Back