1996 MK VIII Transmission

582Boat

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a little story to tell you, I purchased my 1996 Lincoln MK VIII in February 2009 and immediately drove it to Michigan and finding that it does not perform well in the snow, but that is beside the point. After getting back to Florida and doing city driving I noted a shudder in the transmision at the 35-40 shifting range. Gradually getting worse as the days progressed. So today I made the trip to the transmission shop for a complete service, including torque convertor and transmission drain. According to the shop it was the first service since new, 64000 miles, the little plastic plug was still in the pan. They made the complete service, putting in Mercon V fluid in and a friction modifyer. Took it out for a test drive and no more shudder, could not believe it "No More Shudder" . To all of those with the same problem with their transmissions that shudder, I would say please spend the money and either do the job yourself or have a transmission expert do the job. But my point is if you have tried this and it did not work for you because of the high mileage, then you will have to bite the nail and get a new torque convertor.

I did the service and Mercon V swap - reduced the shudder but didn't eliminate.

Put a bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix in and the shudder was completely gone within 2 miles!

I think the biggest problem is that people don't change the fluid often enough.... I stick to a 25k change interval.

i ALWAYS USE "dr. tranny shudder fix", it is in a 2-3 oz red tube and is around 10$$. it works everytime for about 20K miles, i've had 4 fords so far, EACH ONE had shudder issues, after the shudder fix, no issues.

Members online

No members online now.
Back