1991 Cadillac Fleetwood coupe 4.9 won't start - Why not? VATS..? Starter..?

'91CadillacFleetwoodCoupe

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just created my account on this forum and this is my first posting. I have owned two Lincolns; an '88 LSC and '94 Mark VIII and always wanted a Cadillac but the right opportunity to own one never presented itself. Recently the right one did and I now own a '91 Fleetwood coupe. Body is in nice shape but the car does not run. When the key is turned the starter does not engage.

First I have a few questions about the "VATS" system. The previous owner of this Cadillac told me that when the door is locked and shut that the alarm goes on and the only way to shut it off is to unlock the door with the key. When the door on mine is unlocked and opened, the SECURITY light on the dash comes on and may flash a few times. By the time the chipped key is placed in the ignition and turned to the 'Key On, Engine Off' position, the SECURITY light soon turns off. I am no expert on this system but it seems to me the key is doing its job in turning this system off. Can anyone more familiar with the system shed any light on this?

The car is up on jacks and the plan today was to test the starter with a jumper wire directly to it but rain has put that off for now. Any ideas or thoughts from someone with experience in these areas is much appreciated!

1991 Fleetwood coupe 768px.jpg

1991 Fleetwood coupe 768px.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back