1990 Lincoln Towncar Transmission

582Boat

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My 1990 Lincoln Towncar Transmission is preforming badly, it seems to be in the top gears, such as the O D. Car will work in lower gears, but does not seem to shift in O D, then the clipping takes place. Question is, what actually takes place when a transmission goes bad and starts slipping, what actually takes place within the transmission. What parts seem to go bad. :feedback :L

582Boat said:
My 1990 Lincoln Towncar Transmission is preforming badly, it seems to be in the top gears, such as the O D. Car will work in lower gears, but does not seem to shift in O D, then the clipping takes place. Question is, what actually takes place when a transmission goes bad and starts slipping, what actually takes place within the transmission. What parts seem to go bad. :feedback :L

582Boat

Sorry to hear that. Had the same problem in my AOD equipped Bronco 6 years ago. Thought the trans was about to bite the big one.

Slapped on one of these;

http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=9371&s=27528#content

So far it's cheated tranny death for over 110,000 miles and has never shifted better. Best $30 I ever spent.

You don't have much to lose, try it and if things get better or if you put a new trans in, make sure you add one of these too;

http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=9371&s=27288#content

Best of luck with it.

Sixlitre

go flush the tranny and change the filter and you'll get a little more life out of it until it basically goes on you!!!

the grommet on the detant cable probably broke ..look under the plentum on the motor and make sure the cable is still conected.also if its not hook it back up and drive it if you do not have the higher gears then ,you have burnt up the 3 gear and 4th gear clutches ,which means it need to be rebuilt or replaced

Members online

No members online now.
Back