1988 brougham engine swap

nickadams

New LVC Member
Reaction score
hi everyone, this is my first post. i singned up to ask this question.

i have a 1988 cadillac brougham d'elegance, the engine and transmission are just about good for nothing right now. its my daily driver but the engine doesnt produce any power when i need it and the transmission likes to forget about what he engine is doing. its a 5.0 liter v8, im not sure about the other stats.
anywho., im looking for an crate engine and transmission i could put into my baby that will not only give me more power, but add another 15 years to my cars life.
im not concerned with whether the engine is a cadillac engine or not. im looking for the best fit and the most stock power i could drop in for for 5,000 $ as well as a transmission that will accomidate for the engine.

if anyone could point me in the right direction and help me outi would much appreciate it.

I would suggest you look at the banner on this page for RSM Racing and give them a call. (please tell them you learned of them from here) --- They specialize in GM performance products, and im sure they sell them or have a few good sources for engines.

If I remember my old Caddy days , wasn't that 5L motor an Olds 307 ?
And I think Joeys idea is a good one.......

TopCat is correct. I would recommend an Oldsmobile 350 myself, bolt right in.

Dave's right, the Olds 350 IS a quick fix for that issue. You can also update to the Chevy drivetrain as well.

Olds V8

If the car currently has an Olds 307 in it, the easiest swap would be an Olds 350 or 403. Many late 70s full-size RWD Oldsmobiles and Buicks (especially station wagons) were built with 403 V8s. You my need to find a 1981-1984 RWD DeVille with the Olds-block Diesel as a parts car for the correct tranny and shift linkage.

Dave

I too have a 1988 Brougham

You are right...the Oldsmobile 307 cid engine just does not have enough power (140 horsepower) for a car that weighs 4,180 pounds.

I am also looking into an engine swap, but I have opted to use a 1974 Chevy 454 cid out of a C10 pickup. As my research indicates, the Chevy engine will bolt up to the TH 200-4R tranny that has a universal GM bell-housing (after 1983). The tranny is rated at 360 horsepower, so I know it can handle the 454's power.

This is my question: What must I do about the motor mounts? I have the Chevy mounts out of the pick-up, but will they work or will I need to use a universal Chevy big-block adapter?

I know that Cadillac started putting Chevy small-block's into the Brougham in 1990 as my friend has one. He has the same tranny and the 1990 Brougham is almost identical to my 1988.

I plan to use my land yacht to pull a rather large trailer, so I hope this works. I am also going to have the 454 rebuilt to 1970 specifications so it is not such a Big-Block dog (270 vs. 345 horsepower).

Any input would be much appreciated in this project. I know that Cadillac put the 502 cid in these cars for the commercial body applications, so I think the 454 cid will fit.

Fingers crossed,

This is my question: What must I do about the motor mounts? I have the Chevy mounts out of the pick-up, but will they work or will I need to use a universal Chevy big-block adapter?

Any input would be much appreciated in this project. I know that Cadillac put the 502 cid in these cars for the commercial body applications, so I think the 454 cid will fit.

Fingers crossed,

Cadillac never built a 502... They made a 500 that i believe they only used from 70-76, and they've only gotten smaller since then. As far as mounts go, I would either make my own with new bushings or modify the ones from the pick-up. Get the 454 on a crane and ease it into the engine bay, figure out where you want to set the motor, and see what you have to modify to make those mounts work with your frame (weld, cut, bend...)

You can make anything fit if you got the tools, the creativity, and the balls! ;) :D

Ballz...

I may end up having to use one of mine as an engine mount if I don't find any information!

Brougham Super Sport Update

Well...I have done enough "homework" and testicular calesthentics (to make sure my ballz can handle the stress). I have purchased the Chevy 454 and recruited the help of a friend who has the Big Block experience, the available garage and equipment, and the necessary zeal to attemp this project.

Necessary zeal means he is as crazy as I am to get himself into such "virgin" project. I have arranged to have the Big Block gone over by a local rebuilder who has decent experience in these engines. He has built a number of 454's in excess of 500 horsepower. I am only shooting for 300 horsepower.

So, within the next couple weeks, the project begins. Here's to testicular fortitude!

Members online

Back