1982 Mark VI Continental Sputter...

HaLfAPuNk

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I bought my Mark VI about a month ago and put a new exhaust on it right away in order to get it inspected. I never really took it out on the road because it started right up. I now have 10 days to get it inspected and so I start driving it around only to find the further you drive the worse the sputtering it gets. I knew the battery was almost gone so I replaced it figuring it was affecting the Electronic Fuel Injection... that's not the problem. It's still doing it. Also it seems that it happens when the clock panel turns off becasue it turns on and off while driving at random times. It's not completely syncd with this but I dunno if it helps? Perhaps its on the same wire and maybe a short? I dunno though I checked my Chiltons manual and it says nothing about it. Im at a complete loss here... i went from an 85 honda accord that i could tell you anything about to this... any help or direction to look in would be much appreciated!

It sounds like you have a digital dash, in which case the clock going out at certain times is highly unlikely to be related to your sputtering problem. What else have you looked at? Have you looked at the spark plugs or checked the compression? What about the timing?

thamarkman said:
It sounds like you have a digital dash, in which case the clock going out at certain times is highly unlikely to be related to your sputtering problem. What else have you looked at? Have you looked at the spark plugs or checked the compression? What about the timing?

I haven't had the time to check the plugs and not the right equip to check compression. I dont think its the plugs though becasue the idle is so smooth and it purs like it's brand new... It goes in for inspection tomorrow night so I might just tell the mechanic to do what needs to be done... I dunno.

If it is sputtering, it may just be the fuel filter, when the filter gets dirty it can cause the car to sputter and sometimes it can shut down.

Hey guys, I gave up and just handed it over to a mechanic tonight. It wasnt the battery, wasnt the fuel filter... hopefully he can fix it with out it being something major. Ill let you all know...

Members online

No members online now.
Back