17x9 Cobra R's rubbing and acting weird.

MediumD

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I know my way around a car, but I'm not a wheel expert. So I took the 17x9 Cobra R's off my TBird and installed them on my Mark VIII. I like the way they look way better on the Mark, but I'm having some problems...

First, they never rubbed on my TBird, but on the Mark they're hitting just below the upper control arm - I haven't been able to look yet, but have any of you had the same problem? Am I going to have enough material to clearance it?

The other problem is that, although I torqued them to 100ft.lbs. in the correct pattern, they seem to want to steer me in directions I didn't intend to go. It's like I have really worn out tie rod ends or something, I'm experiencing massive bump steer. Do I need some hub-centric rings, or what would be the reason for/solution to this problem? Could it be a tire related problem, despite the fact I'm not experiencing vibrations?

check your lower ball joints, as well as your tie rod ends. ANY movement up and down = replace. that may be your wandering. might also try switching your wheels side to side. doesnt usually cause wandering but you may have a tire pull.

If you need some spacers I have 4 6.5mm ones that should work out for you. PM me... I have no use for them!

check your lower ball joints, as well as your tie rod ends. ANY movement up and down = replace. that may be your wandering. might also try switching your wheels side to side. doesnt usually cause wandering but you may have a tire pull.

Thing is, it's not a suspension problem. It never did this until these wheels were put on. I did a quick check of the front suspension when I last did the brakes, no excessive play..

The only thing I can think that would cause the wandering and bump steer is that the lug nuts are tightened down, but are bottoming out or something and not actually completely tight on the wheels. Perhaps spacers would help with this as well as the rubbing, but I don't know if this is even the cause of the problem... Thoughts?

I have big 20's on and they are lug centric. Torque to 110lbs and no problem, even using stock lugs. I checked then every few days and just yesterday. Always within spec on torque.

Did you adjust height at all?

mine did this with the bigger rims... turned out my front wheel bearings were both cooked so it was letting the rim rub the spindle slightly. New wheel bearings corrected the problem

I didn't adjust the height, it's still air and seems to be stock height..

Now, the wheel bearings idea could make sense, since I did notice a light squeak today. I thought it was rear brakes because it's about time to change them, but I couldn't tell which end of the car it was coming from so it could be wheel bearings. Although these Cobra R's are significantly lighter than the chrome 17s that were on there before..

I'm going to try to take it to my local tire shop tomorrow, I hope someone there knows what the hell they're talking about and can help me out here.

wood_e, I may just end up PMing you on those spacers.

I am running 17x9 cobra r's from a t-bird also on a stock air ride 93 Mark VIII .
I didn't run into any trouble but the guy I bought them from did some grinding on my spindles before they were mounted. Front tires are Nitto 555R2 275/40x17 Drag Radials. The rear tires are Nitto 555R 315/35x17 Drag Radials.
Here is a link to a picture of the area that was ground. I don't know if this will cure your problem but it couldn't hurt. It is preferable to adding spacers.
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=40457

Members online

No members online now.
Back