17-Inch Sport Rims Owners, Step Inside

Turboguy

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
How do / did you like the sport 17-inch rims? Did they hold up okay to potholes, etc.?

I'm probably going to go to 17s at some point for my 2000 LS8, which still has the stock 5-spoke 16-inchers. The sport rim prices seem to be pretty reasonable.

Will Gen 2 sport rims fit on a Gen 1? Any other info on them would be appreciated.

Thanks.

How do / did you like the sport 17-inch rims? Did they hold up okay to potholes, etc.?

I'm probably going to go to 17s at some point for my 2000 LS8, which still has the stock 5-spoke 16-inchers. The sport rim prices seem to be pretty reasonable.

Will Gen 2 sport rims fit on a Gen 1? Any other info on them would be appreciated.

Thanks.

They're just fine. How deep a pothole are you talking about? A 235/50 tire doesn't have that short of a sidewall. All year LS wheels are interchangeable.

Thanks LS4me, was more so just asking about their strength, the 16s held up great and as they're production wheels I'm sure they're fine.

T-Money, don't non-sport cars' tiny ball joints automatically fall out when 19s are bolted up? ;)

Thanks LS4me, was more so just asking about their strength, the 16s held up great and as they're production wheels I'm sure they're fine.

T-Money, don't non-sport cars' tiny ball joints automatically fall out when 19s are bolted up? ;)

They're at least as strong as any other cast aluminum wheel.....

Um I don't know. I've always had sport models. But tons of people around here have 18's 19's and even 20's. and I do not remember hearing anything about ball joints falling out. Just reading that sounds silly.

Um I don't know. I've always had sport models. But tons of people around here have 18's 19's and even 20's. and I do not remember hearing anything about ball joints falling out. Just reading that sounds silly.

They don't fall out, but the higher wheel weight causes extra wear on the ball joints. Probably not as much as lowering does, though.

200,000 Chicago miles on my '03 Ultimate Sport wheels. Other than peeling chrome, they are holding up fine.

I have the painted sports rims....assuming they are factory my LS has 180,000 and they look great...I'm having trouble finding a wheel due to them...I like the color and pattern but want something a bit more modern...but very similar.

I jumped a curb a while back at about 50mph, damaged the front wheel enough to bend it out of repair and ruin the alignment... but the wheel kept air and rolled just fine at 35, replaced it with another and used this one as a full size spare. Theyre surprisingly strong

OP I have factory 5 spokes for the winter...they hold up well and look the best out of all of the stockers IMHO.

I have the painted sports rims....assuming they are factory my LS has 180,000 and they look great...I'm having trouble finding a wheel due to them...I like the color and pattern but want something a bit more modern...but very similar.

Jaguar Customs 19x8.5 Silver 59741

They don't fall out, but the higher wheel weight causes extra wear on the ball joints. Probably not as much as lowering does, though.

yeah i don't think the rim diameter has something to do with ball joints, when i had my 2002 LS my ball joint fall out 2 times and that happen with my 16'' s

Members online

Back