12 Step Sunroof Repair How-to

BennyLumpkin

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok guys this question has come up alot and thanks to BigRigLS I picked up the sunroof repair kit from the Sunroof Doctor. Here is a picture step by step I hope gets made into a sticky as it seems to be a popular subject.

Step 1. Remove the glass. There are 4 torx bit screws, two on each side you have to access from the inside of the car. Pull all 4 and lift the glass up and out....easiest when you have someone to hand the glass up to.
photobucket-1708-1331843771141.gif

You'll see by the bent slide rods mine was pretty FUBAR.

Step 2. Remove the headliner. I didn't get a good pic of this but its pretty easy. Pull all 4 corner pillar trims off, the trims where the seatbelts attach, all 4 oh crap handles and the sunvisors and clips. The visors will hang by their wire which you can't unplug until you drop the liner down and you can get them. There is a plug glued on both corners of the headliner and you have to disconnect them there. The only thing left holding the liner is heavy duty velcro around the headliner opening and 2 clips above the lights/sunroof switch. Use a long flat screw driver to spread each velcro apart and also use it to release the clips. This is again a two person project. Lay the seats back a bit and just lay the headliner on the seats/dash and let it there. Once its down there are 7 bolts holding the sunroof assembly and 1 wire plug on the passenger side. Start by unhooking the drain tubes from each corner, then unplugging the wire plug and then take the front 3 bolts, the next two back from that and the 2 farthest back. Save the middle two for last. I used a drill with a socket adapter and it worked great. Bolts are 10mm. Once they're all out just bring it out either the drivers or passengers front door.

Step 3. Remove the motor and the driver assembly from the rest of the sunroof track. One side has 3 torx through the motor. Remove them first. Then there is one on the other side so take it out next.
photobucket-5365-1332726370627.gif

Step 4. Drill the 4 rivets out of the rear of the track drains. On each side there is a black plastic piece (pictured). There is two rivets in each one. Drill them out with a 3/16 drillbit and carefully pull them off as they are glued on.
photobucket-13734-1332726402090.gif

Step 5. Remove the old parts. Start with pulling the torx on each side that holds the crossbar that actuates your headliner off.
photobucket-17471-1332726185772.gif

Then take one side at a time and pull the parts backwards and out of the track. Now is a good time to clean the track with brake clean as the kit comes with new grease for the track.
photobucket-2671-1332726344585.gif

Step 6. Go back together the way it came apart....only better. Put the parts back in, the way they came out...pretty simple to follow. TAKE YOUR TIME! Some of these parts are plastic and could probably be broken easily. Slide each part in and put them together the way they pulled apart.
photobucket-3714-1332726279482.gif

Should look like this:
photobucket-2023-1332726251945.gif

Step 7. After all parts are back in place including the headliner(the sliding part)....I had to drill the rivets out a second time because I forgot it lol....then its time to "time" the roof assembly. First thing to do is flip the motor actuator over so you're looking at the gear and to the side of it is a little window with a white backround. Spin the gear around until you see a black dot in the very middle of that window and then install it, and the motor back to the rest of the assembly...you make have to pull this back apart after testing the roof if you don't have it quite right.
photobucket-18371-1332726221594.gif

Step 8. Rivet the ends back on after making sure all parts are in place.

Step 9. Double check your work
photobucket-15913-1332726150959.gif

Step 10. Install the unit back in the car.

Step 11. After making sure everything is in place, DO NOT TRY THE SUNROOF YET. Do not install the headliner yet. Install the glass and then make sure the roof is in the closed position. You can run it back and forth at this time. Once it's in closed position you may have to loosen those 4 screws up and flush the glass to the roof so it is closed and sealed correctly.

Step 12. Install the headliner and enjoy!

photobucket-9743-1332726079762.gif

You're welcome guys! Figured I might as well make a how-to since I had to do it anyways. Any questions, feel free to ask.

No sunroof problems yet :crossesfingers: but this is a great write up.
I am sure a bunch of guys will use this as help.

Right on Benny!

You rocked it man, good job!

Mine still hasn't come in, ordered my repair kit same day
you did but I'm a bit more north so I'll patiently await.

one thing I would have added to this was the securing of the drain tubes
as this is another common issue with the LS's, they come off and you end
up with rain stains on your liner ... while you had it open, I would have
spot glued, siliconed or clamped the tube to the drain spout ends.

Mind if I self-sticky this in my Sig ?

thanks for the detailed tutorial,
can't wait to fix mine ...

... oh PS: I do still want you to forward me that nice shinny framed poster of my silver LS !!!

It'll be hard to get me to give up that framed poster lol....I should have mentioned that about the tubes but didn't think about it because mine were a real bear to take off and just as hard to put back on....I really don't see them coming off. Go ahead and sticky the thread....I need to do the same to my sig. I'm hoping a mod permanently sticky's it because this seems to be a reoccurring subject.

Hey Benny, I can't believe this man !
I order mine on the 15th of March, still don't have it, yesterday March 29th,
called them up on the phone, spoke to a Rick I believe, tells me my order
had fallen into an account from paypal because of International, and it was
an account they don't check everyday. they don't usually ship to Canada,
and the paypal payment processing form is meant to send the buyer to
a "Call Us Instead" page on any International addresses entered.

They make special arrangements ... I guess additional shipping charges,
anyhow, he said he would still honor the said price on the kit and get it out
the door next evening, would send me a confirmation & tracking number.

Really need this kit to fix this thing, every time I bring the LS up to anything above
120-130Kms with the windows closed, the sunroof pops open in the backwards
vent position, soon as I crack the drivers side window, the negative pressure,
drops the sunroof back down in it's rest position.

a bit of a drag to say the least.

anyhow, I'm out of town, on a tour of duty for a week,
so hopefully when I get back, it will have arrived.

that means it going to be a busy weekend.

1) Sunroof repair
2) Front sway bar bushings & end links
3) all new front lenses install.

that reminds me, I have to pick up a rivet gun, like yours for them rivets on
the sunroof, don't own one of those. and a 13mm closed ratched wrench
for the "difficult" bolt on the sway bar bushing bracket.

be lucky to get any upgraded sound system in this LS this summer,
the way things are going. Still have tint, rims & tires, wheel alignment,
bodykit, intake & exhaust.

<sighs>

Last edited:
sunroof

What size rivets do i have to use at the end of the track.

OP may not come on here anymore, but is that a Lincoln LS poster in that frame in the first photo?

What size rivets do i have to use at the end of the track.

That information should be in the instructions from the repair kit.
If you don't have it I can go through my parts and find my kit and have a look at the instructions, see if it lists it. should be same size that needs to come out.

EDIT: http://www.sunroofdoctor.com/0002lincolnls.htm

EDIT2: It makes no mention at all in the instructions with respect to the size of the included rivets, just says to fasten the end caps back on with the provided rivets. it does say however, to used a 3/16 drill bit to remove the old rivets but I would best guess that's larger as to drill off the top of the compressed rivet. (as illustrated in above pics)

OP may not come on here anymore, but is that a Lincoln LS poster in that frame in the first photo?

yup it is and I never got it from him !

I did however get the sunroof repair kit and haven't done the repair yet.

all the pics are gone so cannot see well. if u have saved it in a word document, can u please share the link to that doc ?

dude hasn't been on here in over two years. doubtful he will ever see your message.

Sucks this post is too old for photobucket to have kept the pictures.
I have to do this fix on my LS ;but am dreading having to take apart everything to do it.
Both bars have come out of mine and I can see the spots the bars mount in to at the back slide back and forward and can line up the bars and get them in without anything being apart ;but they fall out.
There has to be a way to get the bars to stay in without having to remove everything.
Seeing as I don't have money to buy a repair kit and nothing ;but time as I am banged up from a car accident 3 weeks ago I'll try and figure out a repair and post back details if I am successful.
Now that winter is coming to the (most) west coast of Canada the rain has begun and inside my car is getting wet so solving this problem has taken priority over doing my stereo.

I know this topic was brought up by someone about a month ago...found this thread and I'm in the midst of doing the repair this weekend ...This is going to be a bear....Whole headliner has to be removed...but I keep thinking about a quote I saw someone get from dealership $1700...so it makes this job easier when I keep that thought in mind :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back