06 THX speakers upgrade?

LikeNew02

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I just got my 06 with THX Nav last week. Overall, I think that the system rocks. The bass sounds especially good. Don't even plan on installing a sub because it sounds so good to me.

However, the highs do not sound nearly as good as the bass. The highs are acceptable, just not great. Half of me says just leave the speakers alone and don't screw anything up, it already sounds good. The other half say replace all the door speakers.

I was wondering...

Are the door speakers made out of paper?

Have any of you have major inprovements from upgrading the speakers on a THX system? If yes, what speakers did you go with?

How much did you get it for and how many miles? I'm looking for one myself :)

it's not just the speakers that make a big difference, it also depends on the signal that the headunit puts out. I replaced my speakers first and it sounded better, but when I replaced the headunit with an indash tv/dvd unit it made an even bigger difference. Just depends on how much you like music and the clarity you want

Time for a dumb question. Did THX and nav come together or was it possible to get THX alone?

How much did you get it for and how many miles? I'm looking for one myself :)

I got a loaded '06 about 6 weeks ago. The best I can figure I got all options vice side curtain airbags. I paid $15700 with 32700 miles.

If you're willing to travel, or have the car shipped, you can expand your choices. Check cars.com or autotrader.com.
Definitely willing to travel. I've been hitting up all the places like crazy :

AutoTrader.com
Car.com
Cars.com
UsedCars.com
CarsDirect.com
CarMax.com (just curious :p )
AutoMart.com
IntelliChoice.com
All the Ford dealerconnection.com sites (IA, IL and MN)

Did I miss anything? Also, does anyone have any advice for long-distance car buying?

Also, does anyone have any advice for long-distance car buying?

Have a local company give it a check-up. I bought mine ~150 miles away. Since it was still under warranty I just made sure the Carfax was clean. So far the car only has a couple of issues I will take car of when I get the time.

does anyone have any advice for long-distance car buying?

I handle alot of sales online and coming from my end. I would suggest seeing a car before you put a deposit on it. If you are a car guy then go yourself, if you don't know how to properly inspect a car then send a professional. If you need tips on buying a car then google it. As far as out of state shipments, they are really common. Many people buy vehicles from me without even test driving them. Depends on the seller. Always double check reputations of dealers and phone numbers. Check feedback on Ebay. Don't let someone rush you into something. Compare VIN title to vehicle, then compare owner to title. Watch for floating titles. Put the smallest deposit down.

i think thats about it... sorry i was rambling. Long distance car buying is great cause it opens your market, but you gotta protect yourself.

Always do a carfax

Heh, sorry for hijacking your thread LikeNew02 :p
Murphy is a real son of a gun. Found two near-perfect 06s (silver birch, low miles, loaded with nav/thx, around $17.5k) but with light gray interiors (looking for black).

Definitely willing to travel. I've been hitting up all the places like crazy :

AutoTrader.com
Car.com
Cars.com
UsedCars.com
CarsDirect.com
CarMax.com (just curious :p )
AutoMart.com
IntelliChoice.com
All the Ford dealerconnection.com sites (IA, IL and MN)

Did I miss anything? Also, does anyone have any advice for long-distance car buying?

Don't forget Craiglist too, that is were I found my car. A 2004 Vivid Red LSE that was fully loaded including curtain air-bags & rear heated seats with 39k miles for $13,500 a few months ago.

the system sounds fine and the speakers are not made out of paper they are actually in a plastic enclosure that has a 5 1/2 speaker and a tweeter so it will fit in a 6x8 hole, if you want to change them the only ones i recomend are the infinity kaapa speakers because they are 2ohms and the factory are 4ohms with 93 sensitivity so the sound may seem louder and clearer

the system sounds fine and the speakers are not made out of paper they are actually in a plastic enclosure that has a 5 1/2 speaker and a tweeter so it will fit in a 6x8 hole, if you want to change them the only ones i recomend are the infinity kaapa speakers because they are 2ohms and the factory are 4ohms with 93 sensitivity so the sound may seem louder and clearer
I put memphis speakers in my doors and added jl audio tweeters to my door post. I also changed the head to a pioneer but I think maybe just adding the tweeters will work for what you are trying to accomplish. The tweeters are mounted directly behind mt door mirrors. Looks nice and clean

thanks! great info

anybody else upgrade your THX speakers?

What about the subs in the deck lid. What are the replacement options her? Kaapas 6x8 woofer?

the ones in the rear deck are tricky because they are 45watts 2ohms speakers and you can use infinitu kaapas 6x9 speakers cuz they are 2ohms but in my exeperience you loose some of the low response since they are not free air subs. now they do sell 6x9 subs but they are 4ohms and your going to loose of the power but you get deeper base, i currently have these installed on

http://www.woofersetc.com/p3077/CL69--CDT-Audio-6x9"-200-Watts-Midsubwoofer.htm

the sound is still great alot of my friends that isntall audio equipment think i have a aftermarket system
but when i tell them that its factory they are surprised. it may not be really loud but its extrememly clear and for me that what counts.

Im still contemplating on what to do. It's a throwup between choosing a drop in replacement for my rear THX deck or buying an amp and two good free air subs that will drop in.

the sound is still great alot of my friends that isntall audio equipment think i have a aftermarket system
but when i tell them that its factory they are surprised. it may not be really loud but its extrememly clear and for me that what counts.

So you have the THX system with infinity door speakers and cdt 6x9s in the deck lid? Or did you just change out the deck lid?

all my doors are still the factory THX but the rear deck subs are the CDT. i purchased the infinity 6x8 because i thought one of my speakers was bad but it was just loose and raddling, my bro has the 2001 ls and we installed the infinity on his system and it sounds great and he has the alpine factory system on his LS, the bass was deeper with the factory subs the new ones sound good but like i said just less power cuz its 4ohms but eavery one that hears the system loves how clear it is. if any of my speakers go out i will get the infinity's again and replace them. the factory system is only 280 watts if you like very loud music then you will need to replace the speakers, subs and amps.

Anyone kno part number for thx sub foor rear deck speakers... Replaced my blown oems w/ pioneers but no more bass=(... If anyone can help thanx want oem thx sounds like surround sound sytem in a car!! Can't get better thanx bye

I think that I have changed my mind. I might just stay with the stock speakers because it sounds great, and no need to screw things for minor improvements.

I will put in some dyno mat around the subs because the rear vibrates a little on the right song. Any advice on how to apply the dyno mat and how much to use?

thanks agains for all the tips!

Members online

No members online now.
Back