`01 Engine Whine

tets

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I just had a question about my LS. When I'm driving at lower speeds and I'm maintaining my speed or just slightly tapping the gas pedal, I can hear a whine coming from the engine. It doesn't really sound like anything is wrong with it but its kind of annoying. I remember when my parents had an LS a few years back that the engine had a high compression sound to it but I don't remember if it sounded like this. Just wondering if anyone knows what I am talking about, and is it normal or should I bring it in to get checked out?
Any advice would be great. Thanks..

If it gets any worse then you might want to take it in. Usually a whine is caused by a bad bearing in the alternator, or the idler or tensioner pulleys.
If it sounds like a cat then it could be the power steering pump. Fords are famous for power steering noise.

I have this vague recollection of an issue with timing chains on the early LS models and how they would whine at certain speeds. I believe later models received a revised/updated timing chain that reduced the whine.

My friend described it better when I was showing him the other day. It sounds like a whistle, like a deep sounding whistle, sort of like if you were to blow over top of a beer bottle. Should I bring it in and get it checked out??

I think someone said something about this having too do with a vacuum line, but I could be mistaken. I would pop the hood run the car and try to locate where the noise is coming from to avoid paying out the a$$ for a mechanic to do the same thing you can.

Members online

Back