Emergency Brake Switch

TonyLS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
04V6

When I pressed down on the emergency brake switch the entire switch fell into the console. Didn't take much pressure for it to fall through, didn't seem that I broke off any of the clips.

Does anyone know the correct way to remove the portion of the console where the emergency brake switch is located?

Thanks

Yes, pull up on it. I just grab between the cup holders and pull. If that doesn't do it, you can pry at the corners.

The switch is mounted by four screws. Probably, the bosses holding the screws cracked. Both of my LSes did this. I was lucky on one and just had to glue the bosses back together. On the other, I had to replace the switch (the brake switch broke) as well as the cup holder assembly. While you're there, check the AdvanceTrac (or traction control, whichever you have) switch.

There are a few posts about this. I think some had pictures.

Thanks for the info joegr. I'll try searching the forum again, I'd like to see some pictures if they are out there, Thanks

Its also a good idea to glue it before it breaks.

I havent done mine yet but will soon.

My traction control button fell through as well. I glued it. It has since broke again. Need better glue. Plastic in these cars gets brittle.

Plastic ANYWHERE gets brittle over time.

Yeah, but the plastic inside our vehicles isn't exposed to the outdoors. So it seems a little premature, at least compared to other vehicles. This is the newest vehicle I've had, and as I've been blessed to never have been stranded in it; I've had more plastic parts broken in this car than any of my past older cars.

The dash of the 240sx in my garage is looking pretty bad though haha... after 22 years.

Yeah, but the plastic inside our vehicles isn't exposed to the outdoors. So it seems a little premature, at least compared to other vehicles. This is the newest vehicle I've had, and as I've been blessed to never have been stranded in it; I've had more plastic parts broken in this car than any of my past older cars.

The dash of the 240sx in my garage is looking pretty bad though haha... after 22 years.

It gets mighty hot in a car sitting in the sun. Well over 150°! The newest LS is about 6 years old; the oldest over 12. That's a lot of heat/cold/heat/cold/etc. cycles. My daughter's '00 will be 12 years old (just over 178K miles) in August and nary a plastic interior piece has broken. I bought it new 8/00 and when it isn't being used as intended (driven) it lives in the garage. Local climate and "storage" has a lot to do with the longevity of plastic parts.

Mine broke last year. I got the replacement cup holder section from the dealer for $80 and they popped the old one out and replaced it. The stud bosses on the old one had broken.

Members online

No members online now.
Back