Suggestions Please....!

Jval1283

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I did a search, & got some info, but I've just about had it with this car. I'm trying to fix it & relieve myself of a headache.

Issue:

Car runs fine, but when I turn the a/c on the temp gauge begins to climb. Also, colder air comes out the vents when I actually starting moving. I'll have to shut it off obviously to let it cool down.

The thermostat was replaced by the previous owner (but didn't check if it's the right one), I've replaced the degas bottle, & tried bleeding the system countless times. The only time I get fluid to come out the hose is after the fact that it overheats. But when it's cold & I let it sit for probably half hour, nothing comes out.

Heat works fine, a/c was working fine till it started to overheat pretty bad. It has an electric fan...& this issue just started within the last few weeks. My wife just started to use the a/c, & it's only happened a few times.

I'm thinking DCCV, but could it also be anything else?

How is the electric fan wired? Is the thermostat set correctly? Who installed the electric fan? I would start there.

fan is on constantly, so once the ignition is on it turns on. Thermostat was installed months ago (so was the fan), & this issue has just come up.

Ok try this. Turn on A/C and on Defrost. This should make the compressor stay on continously meaning bypassing the fan temp switch. If the car stays cool then the problem could be a faulty fan temp sensor or a sensor location problem. If there is some sort of temp exchange going on, the sensor could be getting exposed to the incorrect temp and therefore not turning the fan on when it should.

fan is on constantly, so once the ignition is on it turns on. Thermostat was installed months ago (so was the fan), & this issue has just come up.

If the fan only has one (slowish) speed the car will overheat. I meant the thermostat for the electric fan. Something needs to tell the fan how fast to run and when.

...The only time I get fluid to come out the hose is after the fact that it overheats. But when it's cold & I let it sit for probably half hour, nothing comes out...

You can only (correctly) bleed it with the engine running and at normal operating temperature. If you are trying to bleed it with the engine cold and/or not running, then you are actually letting air in, not out.

From the tech articles link at the top of the page:
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/Lincoln-LS/CoolingSystemDraining/

You need to get ALL the air out. Air in the system lowers the boiling point of the coolant/water and creates more air in the system. The water pump can't pump air so the coolant stops flowing as fast as it needs to and the temp climbs. I doubt you need a different fan.

Even if the thermostat was replaced, do it again since its "cheap" (low cost but expensive for a thermostat). It should fail open and cause the car to run too cold if its bad. This would cause the warm up time to go through the roof (assuming you got all the air out of the system).

Also, did your degas bottle come with a new cap? Replace cap if not.

From the tech articles link at the top of the page:
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/Lincoln-LS/CoolingSystemDraining/

You need to get ALL the air out. Air in the system lowers the boiling point of the coolant/water and creates more air in the system. The water pump can't pump air so the coolant stops flowing as fast as it needs to and the temp climbs. I doubt you need a different fan.

Even if the thermostat was replaced, do it again since its "cheap" (low cost but expensive for a thermostat). It should fail open and cause the car to run too cold if its bad. This would cause the warm up time to go through the roof (assuming you got all the air out of the system).

Also, did your degas bottle come with a new cap? Replace cap if not.

I'll try bleeding it at operating temps, I think I missed that part, cause I'll let it bleed from cold till it gets hot.

I checked the thermostat, it's good, so it's not that. I'm pretty sure it's just massive amount of air in the system. It didn't start doing this till it got a bit warmer & it over heated on my wife & she shut it off while I was away on training. I'm just so fed up...but I'm trying. I'll try again today & see what happens.

the degas bottle did come with a new cap

What kind of fan do you have? Mine is wired like yours to come on when the ignition is on and I have had no problems. I had an issue using a temp probe to tell the fan to come on when it needed to, I couldnt get it set right so I wired it constant. Alot of electric fans have only one speed as mine does. It is a Flex-A-Lite 183. You need to have a fan that pulls a minimum or 2800 CFM, atleast as much as the factory fan is capable of pulling.

You should check the fill cap on the thermostat tower, thermostat tower, and the thermostat housing for leaks as well.

When you bleed the system try driving it around the block to make sure it is at the correct operating temperature and bleed it some more. I have had to do this on multiple occasions to get anything to come out of the bleeder hose.

hmmm...prob don't have enough cfm either, but I still don't have a stream coming out of the air bleed either. I'm going to try again today after getting it up to temp.

Members online

Back