need new coils for v6 - does it matter which?

Banker

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I only need to get 3 right now and here are my options:

Autozone
Duralast $48 2 year warranty

Oreilley
Motocraft $76 1 year warranty
Ac Delco $70 90 day warranty

also here's the situation: previous owner replaced the 3 not under the IM with BWD form Oreilley a year and a half ago. these are no longer available on the website. but yesterday when i pulled one off the spring inside the boot detached. these have a lifetime warranty and im gonna get a free replacement but i dont know what they're gonna gimme as a replacement if they no longer carry the BWD's. last think i want is three different types of coils on my car.

I know many ppl will say Motocraft but does anyone have a specific reason against other brands?

also if i can still get them should i get the BWD's with the lifetime warranty cuz if i ever have to pull them off in the distant future and one of those damn springs pulls outa the boot, then ima be pissed if i have to buy a whole new one just cuz they're wimpy.

and just fyi im doing the 3 cuz my car has an intermittent misfire and i suspect it's much more likely that it's one of the original COPs under the IM than one of the three newer ones.

here are the only codes ive thrown:
-P2104 Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Idle
-P2107 Throttle Actuator Control Module Processor
-P2110 Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Limited RPM
-P2111 Throttle Actuator Control System - Stuck Open

but at least two of these are simply from the computer going into "limp mode" from the misfire. i've also had the blinking wrench light indicating heavy misfire.

... i've also had the blinking wrench light indicating heavy misfire.

That should be a blinking engine symbol light, not the wrench light. AFAIK, the wrench light is only for the ETC.

You can order the latest rev OEM coils for about $50 each from discount on-line Ford parts dealers. There are a bunch of threads on here about the other brands of coils, prices, where to buy and experiences.

I'm sure this link will help a lot, but the OP should be aware the the V8 coils don't work on the V6. They'll have to search for the equivalent V6 coils.

Oh shoot good catch, force of habit.

Amazon.com: Visteon VIS60-1004 Ignition Coil On Plug 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2004 2005 Lincoln LS V6-3.0L DOHC (Set of 6): Automotive

@the OP these are basically Hungarian made(for whatever thats worth to you) motorcraft coils. They're universally accepted on here as the best alternative for the LS to the motorcraft coils should you choose not to go down that route.

That should be a blinking engine symbol light, not the wrench light.

that's what i meant, sry.

so i understand that the link to amazon is for the v8, but either way something like those will be outa my price range.

so i've gonna go with the motocraft i guess. you said the "latest rev OEM" coils. by this u mean motocraft? and will it be good enuf to get them from the auto parts store? im willing to spend the extra to have my car back together today. and i'm still just gonna be doing the 3 under the IM for now.

i'll have to really convince myself to replace the other three that are only a year and half old... altho maybe Oreilley will let me warranty them out once they "break" (when i pull the springs out myself) and let me upgrade to the motocraft....

oh my bad. i was thinking those amazon coils were like $179 apiece...

oh my bad. i was thinking those amazon coils were like $179 apiece...

AFAIK, these are the same as the latest rev OEM.

So, while you've got the top half of the intake manifold off, you should really think about replacing the PCV valve and the plumbing around it, as problems with this are known to happen with the V6.

The link I provided in my second post is to the correct ones for a V6. 180 for 6 coils comes out to $30 each for motorcraft-quality Hungarian-made coils. From what I've heard the latest revision of Motorcraft coils are being produced in China. Again this may or may not matter to you, just putting it out there. You should really replace all 6 and do the spark plugs while you're in there as well as the PCV valve as recommended by Joe.

In the end it's your call and how you value piece of mind compared to up front costs.

Go with Visteons. Nothing else. Change them all at the same time and do as joegr said with the PCV.

i got some the auto parts store with lifetime warranties. if they go, i'll replace them for free.

i already have three newer ones on there with lifetime warranties, that the previous owner put on.

im broke. i spent 180 on three that now match the 3 newer ones. otherwise its the same 180 for 6 that are also new.
only did i see is i got lifetime warranties and the visterons are somehow allegedly superior.

i got some the auto parts store with lifetime warranties. if they go, i'll replace them for free.

i already have three newer ones on there with lifetime warranties, that the previous owner put on.

im broke. i spent 180 on three that now match the 3 newer ones. otherwise its the same 180 for 6 that are also new.
only did i see is i got lifetime warranties and the visterons are somehow allegedly superior.
Not allegedly. Ask anyone here. We all use them. I have 100k on the set in the car now, without one misfire. $180 for 3? You paid for the warranty, not the coils.

just outa curiosity, what makes the coils i have inferior to the visterons?

is there some measurable difference or is the difference just anecdotal?

just outa curiosity, what makes the coils i have inferior to the visterons?

is there some measurable difference or is the difference just anecdotal?

I had a NAPA coil (~$75) fail in about 7 months. That reminds me..... I need to get my money back.....

WELLS IGNITION COILS: C1346

Has anyone heard of these coils made by wells. If so are they good quality? I also need v6 coils and didn't realize they were different from the v8's. this close to buying the visteons for the 8 but have been having trouble finding the v6 version of visteons.

Screw it just bought visteons 60-1004 for the v6 ($150 w/shipping) and new ngk sparks, sounds like the way go. Anyone know where to find a good deal for valve cover gaskets and a pcv valve. Btw thanks shredicus for the link.

Screw it just bought visteons 60-1004 for the v6 ($150 w/shipping) and new ngk sparks, sounds like the way go. Anyone know where to find a good deal for valve cover gaskets and a pcv valve. Btw thanks shredicus for the link.

No problem.

Pretty sure you can find both of those parts you need on rockauto.com. Look for a felpro gasket set

I've successfully used coils from my 4.6 Mark VIII's on my 3.0 LS's. Just switch out the boot. The connector is the same. But Shredicus is right about it being a PIA cuz u have to pull the entire intake manifold, which includes removing windsheild wipers, cowl, support brace, etc, etc, etc. just to get to the passenger side bank. While you're in there, do the PVC and check for vacuum leaks under the manifold. There's a TSB about it out there.

Members online

Back