Remote Start

Rifken

LVC Member
Reaction score
Title says it all... I want to install a remote start in my 2000 LS. I have no problem installing the kit but I am not sure about a bypass. I have never installed a remote start so I don't know what to expect regarding a bypass. I am looking at an autopage c3-rs730. Just don't know about the flipping bypass. A

Any hints???

The bypass may be used so you won't have to give up one of your keys. I think if the remote start didn't have a bypass, they would have to use one one your keys and solder leads to the chip inside. Not sure though, but I know of a few people that have had to give up a key for that reason.

... they would have to use one one your keys and solder leads to the chip inside. ...

The chip in the key is RF. There are no leads to solder to. They just secure the head of the key somewhere close enough for the PATS antenna to read.

From my understanding now, there are certain bypasses that you can use two keys to program and there isn't a need for a hidden key, basically the bypass becomes its own transponder.

However, I know nothing about the technology behind the remote starters. From my research, and I could be wrong, they have come a long way since the early days where you had to cut and splice everything to make them work. If I understand correctly, and this is where I can be completely wrong, is that with a good bypass the cutting and splicing is very minimal as the bypass does most of the heavy lifting...

So I suppose the question is, would getting the right bypass make the install easier/better?

Times have changed indeed.

Pretty much all newer cars with push button start include remote start right on the keyfob. Only way i would like remote start is if it could be intergrated into the stock ford keyfob. Dont like carrying two remotes.

The remote start wouldn't replace the factory key fob? Wouldn't the remote start include the ability to lock/unlock the car?

When I bought the car it didn't come with a remote to unlock the car. Since I needed to buy a new remote I figured I would get the remote start instead. Are you saying that I can't replace the factory fob with the remote start fob?

The remote start wouldn't replace the factory key fob? Wouldn't the remote start include the ability to lock/unlock the car?

When I bought the car it didn't come with a remote to unlock the car. Since I needed to buy a new remote I figured I would get the remote start instead. Are you saying that I can't replace the factory fob with the remote start fob?

My remote start key fob unlocks/locks the doors and opens the trunk.

Ive seen both. One that replaces the factory remote and others that simply have a separate remote for it only.

Ive also seen some that intergrate with iphones.

I think iPhone integration is a little short sighted as I may not have the phone as long as my car.

That said I would like one that integrates fully and also turn on the heated seats.

I need more research...

The bypass allows you to not have to bury a key in the dash if you don't want to use the bypass you can get a 555u module from DEI, and you place the key in it and it sends the signal to the antenna ring around the ignition so that the car can start. as for the lock and unlock that may require alittle more work, you may have to go into the door panel to wire in the locks and program the remote start. I am having my brother in law install mine he has been doing remote starts, car alarms and custom audio for 20 years. He is not looking forward to working on my car.

Heated seats is not a common features in vehicles like unlocking and locking doors. I dont think it will active the seats.

Wow... There is a lot to installing one of these... Nothing I can't handle, but something in me has a hard time cutting one wire in a vehicle, let alone 10 or so... I don't care if I do solder them back, something about the way my dad taught me to work on cars in his shop when I was growing up tells me any wire you cut is the opportunity for errors or issues to arise...

I really want a remote start but have a hard time with the cutting wires to install...

Don't do it yourself. This needs to be done by someone who knows what they are doing.

The bypass may be used so you won't have to give up one of your keys.
even when you lose a key, the key is placed into a bypass. but better bypasses for most cars dont have to have a key placed inside

They just secure the head of the key somewhere close enough for the PATS antenna to read.
most cars have problems with two keys being too close to the receiver loop, most shops use a bypass that hides the key father under the dash so it can only be activated during the RS process

From my understanding now, there are certain bypasses that you can use two keys to program and there isn't a need for a hidden key,...

...would getting the right bypass make the install easier/better?

yes getting a better bypass can make the install easy and way more reliable, i would reccomend getting something like Flashlogic's FLCAN, it just needs to be soldered into the PATS wires at the harness and then programmed with two keys just like you would a blank third key. also directed's DBall, or PKall work great. important info, the FLCAN and the DBall have to be programmed by the place you buy an installer/dealer (if you buy it online, they wont do this, and customers dont have the flash tool)

Pretty much all newer cars with push button start include remote start right on the keyfob. Only way i would like remote start is if it could be intergrated into the stock ford keyfob. Dont like carrying two remotes.
the factory keyfob is limited and plain old weak sauce, you would be so much better to have the aftermarket system to replace the factory remote, other than super extended range, you can pick up so many extra features, like you can all roll down your windows, but i can roll mine back up, also if i ever forget to pop my gas door when i get out to pump, i can just pop it right from the remote.

exactly

Heated seats is not a common features in vehicles like unlocking and locking doors. I dont think it will active the seats.
a good one surely can, extra channels can always activate just about anything that there is a button to turn on, for all the 2nd gen guys, we just have to leave our seats in auto mode (which i dont think ive turned mine off in two years!) but the first gen guys have to integrate it into the system, it could be programmed to activate with the starter, but i dont think that is the best ideal since 1st gens shut off after 10 mins, and since they heat up fast, you could set them to their own button and just turn them on 2 min before you go out to the car.

Don't do it yourself. This needs to be done by someone who knows what they are doing.
+ 1000 if you do not know exactly what you are doing, you can do everything from set off an air bag, fry an expensive computer, or just straight burn the car down to ashes. as far as remote starters go, the LS is one of the top 5 most difficult cars to do, with tons of extra work that needs to be done to make everything work right.

the factory keyfob is limited and plain old weak sauce, you would be so much better to have the aftermarket system to replace the factory remote, other than super extended range, you can pick up so many extra features, like you can all roll down your windows, but i can roll mine back up, also if i ever forget to pop my gas door when i get out to pump, i can just pop it right from the remote.

Yeah i noticed this. Apparently newer fobs use bluetooth? Versus the old RF that the classic four button ford fob uses. Of course those fobs are way more expensive to replace as well.

a good one surely can, extra channels can always activate just about anything that there is a button to turn on, for all the 2nd gen guys, we just have to leave our seats in auto mode (which i dont think ive turned mine off in two years!) but the first gen guys have to integrate it into the system, it could be programmed to activate with the starter, but i dont think that is the best ideal since 1st gens shut off after 10 mins, and since they heat up fast, you could set them to their own button and just turn them on 2 min before you go out to the car.

Good info to know. I would still be skeptical on doing one in mine because of how complicated it is...unless the shop has already done an LS successfully before.

My 98' Contour had remote start from the factory, but Lincoln owners get the middle finger. Weird Ford....weird.

My 98' Contour had remote start from the factory, but Lincoln owners get the middle finger. Weird Ford....weird.

A lot of things happened between '98 and 2000. The LS is infinitely more electrically complicated than any Contour.

You think Lincoln is bad? Try removing or COMPLETELY disabling OnStar from a GM product!

I would still be skeptical on doing one in mine because of how complicated it is...unless the shop has already done an LS successfully before.[/QUOTE]

I have an Autostart brand on mine. Only one key fob with this particular brand(I have all oem functionality) but yes I did have to have an extra key made and mounted in the bypass. The dealer did not charge me for programming it since they made an error in cutting my key so I lucked out. It has been on the car for 2 years and no issues.

If memory serves me correctly, my installer had my car for an entire Saturday afternoon but it has never given me one issue and I use alot during the Summer. To hell with getting in a hot car with leather seats. :D

Still have to cool the surrounding air. So, to me, remote start trumps cooled seats.

Mine works perfect in the summer but when the temp drops below 30 degrees it won't start. It acts like wants to start but won't. Once the engine is warm its fine but its that initial start in the morning or after its sat for a few hours it won't start.

I too experience that in cold weather once the engine is completely cold . It always starts on 2nd attempt. My installer says he sees it a lot on v8 cars in cold weather.

As a person that has personally installed a remote start alarm on a car WITHOUT the chip in the remote... I can tell you I will NEVER do it again! And I install stuff like crazy on my car. But this is one for the pros. Do not do it yourself, period. No need to discuss the other misconceived notions.

Also, get one of the better alarms, and it can be wired to trigger anything that has a button in the car. High end viper, clifford, or python.

Members online

No members online now.
Back