code p1299, no heat fuse keeps blowing out.

dlo73

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2000 ls v8. 159k on car and 87k on motor. Went to the gas station to fill up. upon leaving gas station temp gauge went to full hot got cel car went into limp mode. I am getting no heat from the vents just cold air, ac comes out cold and fuse #1 in the fuse box under the hood keeps blowing out. I am getting a code p1299 (Cylinder Head Overtemperature Protection Active). I tried bleeding out the system all is fine. not sure if it is the dccv or ac clutch that is blowing out the fuse. Hydraulic fan is fine, the fan moves freely by hand. I have searched the forum as well as Google and have conflicting causes. Any help would be appreciated.

That fuse is almost certainly blowing because your DCCV is shorting out. The DCCV is shorting out probably because coolant is leaking from the valves. You have a cooling system problem (air getting into the cooling system) because of this, probably. It may be the replacing the DCCV will cure all your problems, or it may be that you are also having some of the other common cooling system problems.

Thanks I figured it would be the dccv just wasn't sure. due to cold air coming out of the vents not hot air.

Thanks I figured it would be the dccv just wasn't sure. due to cold air coming out of the vents not hot air.

DCCV's fail in both ways (but going to full heat is more common).

Well I finally put the dccv in last night, not that hard of a job took me 2hrs. the bad part is the aux coolant pump was popping the !1 fuse, after closer inspection the pigtail was all burnt inside and the leads were touching causing it to short out,(that's why I had a hard time bleeding the system) so off to the salvage yard I go. I found one with a good connector on it and spliced it in using some of my soldering technique. All it cost me was $30 for the aux coolant pump, $70 for the Dccv from parts geek( ordered on Tuesday delivered by Wednesday also replace the thermostat (as it was stuck on open) and some time. I followed the coolant bleed procedure and........ wait for it.........
I now have heat. Yeahhhhh. For those that think this is a hard job, take your time and it should take you 2hrs. One thing I do recommend is stop at an autozone or advanced auto parts or where ever you get auto parts and pick up some radiator hose clamps, the oem clamps are a pita to work with.

Members online

Back