Protips?

Upstairs Chris

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, this weekend I am going to try my hand and replacing my coils and plugs. I have a baisc mechanics tool set and the such, but I was wondering if there were any tips or special things I might need to know to do this.

I pretty much just have saturday to get it done. Thanks in advance.

The coil cover bolt in the back, on the drivers side, can be a pita to get to

Dont pull up on the coil connector when unplugging them

The coil cover bolt in the back, on the drivers side, can be a pita to get to

Solution....get a 1/4" drive 7mm flex socket from Sears. Job is MUCH easier with that simple socket. You will be glad you did. Needs to be the flex SOCKET....not just a regular flex extension. The flex extension does not help much in that tight spot.

I kno. I was going with what the op wrote about having basic tools

Solution....get a 1/4" drive 7mm flex socket from Sears. Job is MUCH easier with that simple socket. You will be glad you did. Needs to be the flex SOCKET....not just a regular flex extension. The flex extension does not help much in that tight spot.

That made all te difference for me too

Also get some rtv to hold the gaskets to the covers so they don't come out some when you put them back in or petroleum jelly

take a small piece of string and tie it to your wrist and that tiny ass wrench you need to use to get the coil covers off, and that way when you drop the wrench trying to get he back bolts out, you dont have to spend an hour trying to find where the wrench got stuck at.

Leave the drivers side back bolt off, do yourself a favor for the next time.

Personally I used a kinda wonky method for getting the hard to reach valve cover bolts out and stuck a 1/4 socket in a box wrench which gave me enough clerance to get them off. Very unorthodox though

Leave the drivers side back bolt off, do yourself a favor for the next time.

Agreed. I got all the bolts off except that one so I just cracked the cover and left the broken piece in there. Lol. I tried to find a 7mm box wrench but the local hardware store didn't have it.

Since where on the topic, i read if you replace the coils you should be replacing the plugs too. I was just wondering if there are any opinions on this? i just had my plugs replaced maybe 5k miles ago. Im not even sure my coils are bad but after reading how common the problem is, i might as well check them out.

I replaced my plugs over the winter, little tune up and wasn't considering the cops at $50-$75 ea so I didn't do those. I now suspect a marginal cop here or there and I just received a set of eight Visteon cops in the mail yesterday via AD AutoParts through Amazon. Plugs and Dorman lug nuts will be coming tomorrow from RockAuto. My opinion is pretty clear.

To the OP bring patience and acquire a few brews to help you.

"Leave the drivers side back bolt off, do yourself a favor for the next time."

Amen

Members online

Back