Brighter Headlamps Budget Style!!!! For non HID headlamps 00-02 LS

Mr.Howie

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
As the LS ages the Headlamp Lenses start to filter out some of the brightness and your headlamps seem dull compared to newer cars...I have a cure for you and it won't break the bank!

See attached pictures as you read the instructions.

First buy two 9005 high beam bulbs. If you want the slight blueish tint get the silverstar bulbs.

Second step (option A): Remove the black radiator support cover and access the low beam bulb & connector.

Second step (option B): Remove the headlamps for full access. Easy job. Remove the black radiator support cover and remove the black cover under the secondary hood release lever. Remove the three bolts with 8mm socket on each headlamp. Lift the black strap and remove headlamp.

Take the low beam bulb out of the headlamp assembly.

Looking at the attached pictures the low beam 9006 bulb has a larger base and seal area than the high beam bulb 9005.

Remove the yellow "O" ring from the old low beam bulbs and install it over the high beam bulbs.

Install the modified high beam bulbs in the headlamps low beam hole.

Now take the low beam connectors (brown color) and cut the two ribs out of the center with a knife.

Plug the low beam connector into the installed bulbs.

This would also be a good time to replace your old high beam bulbs with a fresh set (headlamp bulbs do age after 3 years they blacken & the elements start growing crystals causing high power consumption).

This is also a good time to check the aim on the headlamps too.

Now reinstall the headlamps and see better, see farther!!

Note: People will not flash you, the low beam reflector is still aimed down and This will not harm the lense or the wiring. I have been doing this for 6 years on my 2 main driver Lincolns with no side effects. Also works on any car with 9005 & 9006 headlamp bulbs.

DSC04513.jpg

DSC04517.jpg

DSC04518.jpg

DSC04519.jpg

DSC04520.jpg

DSC04521.jpg

DSC04522.jpg

DSC04526.jpg

DSC04529.jpg

Last edited:
I have HID already but this is awesome. Who knew it's that easy, and with Silverstars, you'd be seeing even farther. Thanks for posting this. Good stuff.

Silverstars are crap but with Hoens yes much further.

Silverstars are crap but with Hoens yes much further.

I agree, so I just have the standard white 9005 bulbs (or put your favorite brand in), but some people love that bluish tint. I found that it is hard to see pot holes in the road during a rain storm with silverstars. I do like their tail lamp bulbs.

With this conversion everything is clear.

An even brighter upgrade would be the 9011 HIR. They're slightly whiter than standard halogen but more yellow than a tinted bulb like the Silverstars. Light output will be significantly brighter than any other filament bulb while maintaining the original filament position and beam pattern (unlike HID). 9006 bulbs are 1000 lumens, 9005 are 1700 lumens, and 9011 are 2350 lumens. In addition to filing the tabs on the connector, you'll have to file the tabs on the flange (round part that fits into the housing) to get them to fit.

I replaced the low beam 9006 with Philips HIR2 9012 LL at 1850 lumens (even brighter than the high beam 9005 at 1700 lumens).

Low beam: Replace 9006 at 1000 lumens with Philips HIR2 9012 LL at 1850 lumens.
High beam: Replace 9005 at 1700 lumens with HIR1 9011 at 2350 lumens.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=75781&highlight=philips

I'll have to try the 9011 in my high beams.

The 9005 in the low beam socket is plenty bright enough, may not want to get them too bright, but one could experiment with it.

Hey, Howie. Thanks for the tip!

I did this super easy mod the other day. It's a good upgrade, and I am getting brighter light, that projects a little farther ahead and a lot farther to the side. I used the Sylvania XtraVision bulbs, even though they aren't supposed to last as long, to get a little more brightness hopefully.

Next I may try the Philips for the high beams, we'll see if I get around to it. But this appears to have solved my problems with the lows. There were dark nights where I was having trouble seeing the shoulder and drove with my highs whenever possible.

I know my specific year and bulbs don't relate, but the issue with whether or not they are too bright does. I have a 2005 Gen II and replaced the low beam H11's with H9's, huge improvement...as long as the lights are adjusted properly and not dazzling oncoming cars (or the mirrors of folks in your lane) you'll do fine. Mine annoy others when coming over rises etc when it's unavoidable but so would stock bulbs. On level ground, they're so bright I'm lighting things up AHEAD of cars that are well ahead of me (I'm in the HOV lane and these others are on my right so I'm not lighting up any more than their bumpers or license plates) but the cats eyes/reflectors down the road (in front of cars probably 100 yds or so ahead of me) are being lit by me. Those H9's are sweet.

I also did the HIR-1's in my Highs, they're even better out on the open road...

The low beam upgrade is brighter like a new car. Not too bright at all. Never have any people flashing me at all. The light is diffused by the metal diffuser. It is the same pattern and aim as any low beam, just better brighter light for the driver to use.

Since I'm clearing off the camera today....

Here are some pics from when I did this. I was still on the original low beams from when the car was manufactured in July 99.

The first one is with only the driver's side upgraded. You can see some difference between the two.

The second one is with both upgraded. Definite improvement! I don't use my high beams during normal city driving any more.

IMG_6517 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_6519 (1024x768).jpg

I know my specific year and bulbs don't relate, but the issue with whether or not they are too bright does. I have a 2005 Gen II and replaced the low beam H11's with H9's, huge improvement...as long as the lights are adjusted properly and not dazzling oncoming cars (or the mirrors of folks in your lane) you'll do fine. Mine annoy others when coming over rises etc when it's unavoidable but so would stock bulbs. On level ground, they're so bright I'm lighting things up AHEAD of cars that are well ahead of me (I'm in the HOV lane and these others are on my right so I'm not lighting up any more than their bumpers or license plates) but the cats eyes/reflectors down the road (in front of cars probably 100 yds or so ahead of me) are being lit by me. Those H9's are sweet.

I also did the HIR-1's in my Highs, they're even better out on the open road...

You should not be blinding anyone with halogens. Even with my HID's i dont blind anyone as they are aimed low. If you think those bulbs are bright you would be blown away by D2R's.

The low beam upgrade is brighter like a new car. Not too bright at all. Never have any people flashing me at all. The light is diffused by the metal diffuser. It is the same pattern and aim as any low beam, just better brighter light for the driver to use.

Best halogen lights you can get from what i have seen.

I plan to get mine from the Highway Patrol shop or any police agency that has Dodge Chargers. The Chrysler bulb uses the straight connector though. I used to use the ones from 300C.

Members online

Back