Rear brakes and calipers

I am in the middle of replacing rear disc pads on 2K5 LS for the first time (diy). I purchased caliper tool from FH. I can turn the caliper piston (cw), but it doesn't retract. I still have about 1/4 in. of metal above the rubber boot. What am I doing wrong? Any/all suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance

Are you using the tool correctly? When correctly installed, the tool will exert pressure on the piston while it is turning. The piston won't go in without that pressure being applied. There's a plate that you put on the tool that presses against the part of the caliper that holds the outer brake pad.

If you have the tool setup correctly, there is no way that you can keep turning it without the piston going in or something breaking.

Are you using the tool correctly? When correctly installed, the tool will exert pressure on the piston while it is turning. The piston won't go in without that pressure being applied. There's a plate that you put on the tool that presses against the part of the caliper that holds the outer brake pad.

If you have the tool setup correctly, there is no way that you can keep turning it without the piston going in or something breaking.
ok will go back and try again.

ok will go back and try again.

From the instructions with the tool...

brake_tool.jpg

Is this how the tool should be used?

That looks correct. You probably need to use a wrench on the bolt head of the center part to keep it from turning with the handle as you turn it. I am assuming that you have the correct adapter disc in there and that it is correctly mated with the piston such that it is turning the piston. If the piston won't go in, it should get harder and harder to turn the T-handle until you can't anymore.

Members online

Back