repair question

jtammerine

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Should I replace my cats before I replace my coils gaskets etc? Need to be repaired asap & I don't know which to do first

Should I replace my cats before I replace my coils gaskets etc? Need to be repaired asap & I don't know which to do first

Coils and spark plugs first. Bad coils are what caused your cats to fail.

Thanks. Will it harm my coils n plugs with bad cats after I replace them? Cause it might be a while til I can get to replace my cats ($$$)

Thanks. Will it harm my coils n plugs with bad cats after I replace them? Cause it might be a while til I can get to replace my cats ($$$)

No.

Is your problem that the cats are causing a check engine light because they are no longer doing their jobs? If so, no harm to the car and very very minor harm to the environment.

Is your problem that the cats are clogged so much that you have little engine power? If so, no harm to the plugs or coils, but possible engine damage.

Yes my check engine light is on and if im going up a hill and give my car gas the wrench light comes on and I can't go but like 10 mph I know my coils need to be replaced but idk if the lost power is from the cats or coils

Are you missing or is it just a reduction in power? Clogged cats can cause excessive back pressure, and I believe that's why Joe said it may possibly harm your engine. Just kill 2 birds with one stone.

Do the coils then if you are still having issues do the cats. Did you have the codes read?

Then get the cats and plugs. Do the plugs first and then the cats. That should fix all issues.

Drop the pipes off the back of the cats and 'rod' them out. After you knock the stuffing all loose, start the engine and blow all the loose material out.

Replace cats at your convenience.

KS

Yes my check engine light is on and if im going up a hill and give my car gas the wrench light comes on and I can't go but like 10 mph I know my coils need to be replaced but idk if the lost power is from the cats or coils

The "wrench" means that you are going into ETC failsafe. That's almost always because of a bad coil. If not, then a bad throttle body (unlikely). Your loss of power has nothing to do with the cats. There's no need to be planning to hollow them out. Take care of the coils and plugs, and I'll bet you won't have any power problems after that.

Cats have an EPA mandated 8 yr/80,000 mi warranty. This might be worth looking in to if you still have problems after replacing the coils (and your car has <80,000 mi).

Does anyone have good experience with a certain type of cat? I've been "told" that only direct fit catco should be used : v6

Members online

Back