Replacing valve cover gaskets

cableguynoe

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So I recently replaced the coils and found that one was covered in oil.
From the information I found here, looks like I need to replace the valve cover gaskets. Is this correct? I'm replacing both sides.

Also, Is the coil and spark plug ruined? or can they still be used after the gaskets are replaced? Need to know if I need to have a new coil handy. The one in there is only a month old, but maybe ruined with the oil.

Finally, I'm assuming that this problem is the reason my LS doesn't always start up right away. Sometime I have to try 2 to 3 times and really hold the ignition down until she finally starts up.
Is this a symptom of a leaking valve cover?

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=80693

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/Lincoln-LS/Valve_Cover_Seal_Inspection/Valve-Cover-Seal.htm

Yes if oil is in the wells you need a new VCG. I'd recommend purchasing one from the first link as it is much cheaper and just as good as OEM.

I'd personally swap out the coil and plug in the well with oils as they are are probably damaged and its better to be safe than sorry with these types of things.

Not sure if it accounts for the ignition issue.

I had this problem last year plug wells full of oil twice! Changed oil, plugs, COPs 1st time, removed oil 2nd time. I used Advance Auto gasket set for valve covers and upper/lower intake. The PCV valve is under the intake. I didn't know this! Got a code P0420 ystrdy, small leak same place right valve cover rear. I did a PCV test, bad! Now I have to take the drn intake off again! This will be the 7th time in a year! Can do it in my sleep now!
If I C any part I haven't changed, I will while this intake is off this time! Clogged PCV causing valve cover leak!

2000 LS Base 3.0 V6 Auto 87k miles, wife's toy

So I recently replaced the coils and found that one was covered in oil.
From the information I found here, looks like I need to replace the valve cover gaskets. Is this correct? I'm replacing both sides.

Also, Is the coil and spark plug ruined? or can they still be used after the gaskets are replaced? Need to know if I need to have a new coil handy. The one in there is only a month old, but maybe ruined with the oil.

Finally, I'm assuming that this problem is the reason my LS doesn't always start up right away. Sometime I have to try 2 to 3 times and really hold the ignition down until she finally starts up.
Is this a symptom of a leaking valve cover?

make sure you replace the rings for the spark plug wells, all gaskets do not come with the o rings.

good find nelliot i just purchased those thanks to you any reccomendations on COPs and plugs?

Not everyone is replacing with an OEM part. I'm sure the Motorcraft version comes with everything.

The Felpro set from Amazon that I posted about comes with everything.

Yes I know, but when someone from a for dealership is talking about the parts I am sure he would be referring to the ford listed part that we have as well.

That's why I asked him about what all they offered over there

I used the same parts listed 1 yr ago, no problems to date! Change PCV valve also!

3.0 V-6 VCG set for 2000 doesn't come with spark plug gaskets, just a rectangle gasket that surrounds all plugs. Set includes cover gasket, spark plug gasket, fits around all 3 plugs, and grommets for all cover bolts. Had mine off 7 times in last year.

2000 LS V-6 Sport 87k miles, wife's toy

Members online

No members online now.
Back