LS Vinyl Wrap Project

Yea I am thinking about painting the mirrors for sure. Possibly the handles as well (seams inside).

Already have a paint picked out?

As of right now.

drivway.jpg

Beast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah that's the hotness...

Got a pic with the McLaren on? Just curious how it would look..

Yea I am thinking about painting the mirrors for sure. Possibly the handles as well (seams inside).

Already have a paint picked out?

No not yet but you should be able to use almost any flat black paint as long as you prep it right. First I'm going to try and just use a simple black primer and see how it comes out. If I don't like it ill just take it off (nail polish remover) haha.

Ever thought about just leaving them gloss??

That actually looks better than i thought...looks sick actually.

Now we just need to see how well it holds up.

That actually looks better than i thought...looks sick actually.

Now we just need to see how well it holds up.

The mirrors go with the B pillars if you leave them gloss. It's def an option IMO.

Also, I don't think the chrome goes with matte. I would change the grille and take out the chrome trim in the bumper. You probably disagree though since you sought after that piece for a while haha.

The mirrors go with the B pillars if you leave them gloss. It's def an option IMO.

Also, I don't think the chrome goes with matte. I would change the grille and take out the chrome trim in the bumper. You probably disagree though since you sought after that piece for a while haha.
Agree.. I think the gloss black and flat black work together well. But the chrome I am not so sure about.

I hope some of you guys don't think the car is done!

It is missing skirts and door trim; rear fenders, roof, and back bumper need wrap still.

I agree with you guys about the gloss black/matte black theme. This is my original goal - that's why I said I am going to gloss black one of my lower grill trims and I also already wrapped the McLaren. So I am headed that way, but that stuff is tedious compared to full body wrap. I still have a lot of work to do considering the rear bumper has to be done. I think the roof and quarters will be fairly easy - I have gotten pretty damn good at this now.

Also I am going to definitely experiment with putting vinyl over the machined parts of my wheels, so it will be matte faced spokes with the gloss black on the wheel. Will try one side and see how I like it, can always rip that b!tch off!

About the mirrors, they look alright left in gloss, but I think matte finishes it out (I had one wrapped almost completely before removing it due to failure).

I am going to sand the mirrors down and hit em with matte black and satin clear to match the vinyl. See how that looks. Once again, tedious item that will be towards the bottom of the to-do list.

I must say, the gloss lower grill against the matte looks sick. Definitely going to be painting the lower trim in gloss black - besides if I wanna go back to chrome I can always, wait for it... wait for it... wrap it in chrome! haha

It takes some getting use to. I am so use to your gloss black. Seeing your LS matte black is weirding me out. It does look amazing. Fantastic work!!!!! I am looking forward to seeing some nice pictures, when it is done.

Looks very good. On the mirrors and the door handles have you thought about using plastidip? I haven't personally ever used it but have see it done and it might match the color of that vinyl. Also if it doesn't you can just peel it off.
And the wheels on my truck had some machined sections on them as well and I used some satin black wheel paint on them to cover theparts and I think look pretty good
ForumRunner_20111110_185335.jpg
sorry its a bad pic but the only closer one I had on my phone.

ForumRunner_20111110_185335.jpg

Wow that looks amazing man. I have been thinking about this since my clearcoat just started falling off :( but with those pics?? I am sold! WOW! What were the dimensions of the rolls and where did you get them? I saw the where question asked early, but didn't find a response?

have one full side done.
whats left is=
hood
whole passanger side
and bumpers (kinda scared to do these :eek:)

1326166280095.jpg

the back quarter was just my tester piece
1325830321121.jpg

1325830287523.jpg

suggestion on what to do with my rims anyone??

1326166280095.jpg

1325830321121.jpg

1325830287523.jpg

1325830281236.jpg

Just unwrapped the rear bumper and that was totally a b!tch. haha.

Decided to leave it for last... Also decided I am going to use two pieces for it... One at the top starting above where the corner pieces are, that way the seam is behind those slats and run the seam down in the top groove in the bumper, then come up with the seam where the slats end, there is only like a half inch gap exposed where you wold be able to see the seam.

jerbear, yours is looking great man, probably going to blow mine away.

Sometimes when I am working on this I feel like it isn't worth the time/frustration. One small mess up ruins an entire panel and erases the time it took to get to that point.

Sometimes when I am working on this I feel like it isn't worth the time/frustration. One small mess up ruins an entire panel and erases the time it took to get to that point.

Dude I no exactly how you feel when I was doing the back door I was almost completely done all that was left to do was wrap around the bottom corner of the door and when I was stretching the vinyl it ripped!! I was so pissed!!

One thing that really worries me is cutting the excess vinyl. I'm always worried my hand is going to twitch or something and mess everything up!!

What do you mean? I just need to get some double sided tape and put em on. I havem wrapped already.

I think he's asking... if the door has a wrap on it, are you going to put/glue the door trim onto the door "wrap"? (i.e. will it hold, or do you need to cut out the trim area of the door wrap so the trim adhesive attaches to the door & fender paint?)

P.S. This looks great! I think it looks good with the chrome on the grill & bumper, and your wheels.

Thanks! I think the look can go both ways, but I need to see it in full stealth mode....black!

The wrap underneath where the trim goes is already cut, I put a break point when I got to that section and essentially cut the vinyl in half. It is a good reset point to keep the vinyl going square down the doors and you can relieve the fingers that developed on the way down. So I guess the tape will be in contact with some wrap and some paint. There is even some leftover adhesive still on there from when I pulled the trim.

Double sided tape is very expensive, for how much you get anyways. I need a lot because I have to re attach the spoiler as well.

Side note, I put my red/clear tails back on today and man I forgot what my car looks like with those things.. I kinda like it against the matte. Really pops. But I am sure it is just the change. I have tint film I am going to experiment with in tinting and vinyl patterns over the tails.

Members online

No members online now.
Back