Ok guys. I'm serious about replacing that fluid in the diff.

Myco

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm going for it. What do I need? Any special fluid for limited slip? Should I order new drill plugs before I try (do they strip easily?).

Drill plugs?

If you're just replaceing the fluid take out the fill plug on the upper portion of the pumpkin. Get a siphon and pump the old stuff out, Fill it with the proper fluid(about 1/4" below fill hole) as stated in the manual( 75-90w?) and Ford approved friction modifier. Not a hard job at all. Iirc, the fill plug is 3/8's or 1/2". Either way it's a common size.;)

Oops yea Fill Plug. Guess I do need stuff for the limited slip. Just got the manual yesterday so I'll look into that.

If it's a posi yeah, you'll need some modifier. It's like $5 and you'll more then likely find it at a local parts joint or at the dealer parts counter.

I Use synthetic from ford 75-140 I think with no additive
I will switch to amsoil when I make more money
Also I like to take the cover off so I can wipe out all the old oil
Then you can inspect the clutches and replace the if needed

i agree take the cover off it isnt much more work for a much cleaner job in the end. then you can wipe alll the metalic mud out of it because it will have it. i used royal purple posi gear oil with my 4:30 diff, they dont give the stuff away!

i agree take the cover off it isnt much more work for a much cleaner job in the end. then you can wipe alll the metalic mud out of it because it will have it. i used royal purple posi gear oil with my 4:30 diff, they dont give the stuff away!

Got any left over? :D

um, that would mean i didnt put it in my car, which would be bad news for the new owner. if you cant afford some measly gear oil i would hope you dont own a car. i didnt say you had to buy royal purple, traditional gear oil is cheap.

um, that would mean i didnt put it in my car, which would be bad news for the new owner. if you cant afford some measly gear oil i would hope you dont own a car. i didnt say you had to buy royal purple, traditional gear oil is cheap.

Just joking. Friend of mine uses royal purple on all his stuff. The prices are crazy. For sure I don't need stuff like that in my car. ;)

Seriously: It was just a joke.

when you pull the rear cover I use 3-6 cans of Brake cleaner to completely wash everything out/off then use Right stuff gasket maker to reseal it and I also use ether RP or amsoil

If you have a stock rear, as in you still have an open diff, do not add friction modifier.

Members online

Back