Spark Plugs

cmcallister6

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a bone stock 98 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC, doing a tune up and looking into spark plugs not sure what i want, i heard NGK and Autolite were the best. Im not sure which to choose????

how much does a set of those usualy run? &whats the average life span on them?

Autolite 764s should get changed once a year. So about 10 to 15k miles. I think they are considered usable up to 15k. Price is usually about $1.60 each.

If you don't want to worry about them for quite a while, try some Autolite XP-104's.

If you don't want to worry about them for quite a while, try some Autolite XP-104's.

I don't have a lot of experience with those Iridium, but I can tell you that the 100K claims on the Platinums are total BS in my experience. Here is a pic of what the Platinums usually look like when I change them at the shop in customer's cars.

These particular plugs had about 80K on them:
WornPlugs.jpg

Oh, here is another nice set of Platinum plugs I changed on another car:
112300_125200.jpg

Wow. Mines looked new. In fact, I only knew they were original because of the paint on them which I had to ask about.

The first set look bad but the second set looks like the engine was ran often but rarely up to operating temp. Something else besides normal or acceptable wear. Ouch!

If I had to do it all over again I would've put in reg plat's vs the al's. It all depends on how much you drive the car though. If it's a summer ride i'd say go for the 764's if you really want them, they'd prob be good for 2-3 summers. If it's a dd buy plats unless you enjoy changing plugs every year.

Autolite or Motorcraft coppers. I have never had great luck with any sort of platinum plug.

+5 on 764s and if you don't mind a little wear on you plugs like in my town car I have put 40,000 on them wit no problems I will be changing them soon though

yeah i know. im getting some dough for xmas and my birthday, it'll go to plugs and wires, and 18'' chrome speedstars and tires. it starts up fine but i want it to be stronger when it starts up u know

i just changed plugs a week ago in my 98 mark viii, motorcraft...what ever they called for...about $3.50 a plug, so less then $30 for 8 plugs....right from fords, cant go wrong

it starts up fine but i want it to be stronger when it starts up u know

Don't think so hard. :p I run the Motorcrafts in my car with no problems. Plain old plug, just one step colder. (due to my tune) A 32c plug will do you just fine. Don't buy overrated stuff dude. You'll want to spend your money elsewhere(like the inevitable front end rebuild or air suspension repair) and buying an overrated set of plugs will make NO difference in performance or startup (unless your plugs have no electrode left, which I highly doubt.) Spark is spark.

wow i actually didn't know that lol. thanks stromberg. ill either get the motorcrafts or autolite 764s. which wires are best to go with? i've heard nology wires are good but no way in hell im spending $350.00 on wires..

Members online

Back