Traction control issue

Buckeye68

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok guys I thought my issue was in the fact my front tires were a different size but I realized they are only a .5in difference. I ave 3:55 gear and a sct chip that is set for the 3:55's according to my tuner. The traction control activates when accelerating but not issues any other time and when I turn it off it is all good. I want to be able to leave the TC on unless at the track

if your front tires are too tall (or back tires too short), compared to the other tires, the TC will intervene.
tall front, short back, bad.
tall back, short front, ok.
same front and rear, ok.

or you have a bad wheel speed sensor.

or your wheels are spinning and the TC is just stopping that.

they are .5 differant I don't think that is enough but I am asking. I never messed with the gear in the trans but the speedo is correct

they are .5 differant I don't think that is enough but I am asking. I never messed with the gear in the trans but the speedo is correct

you drive a second gen correct?

in the second gens, the speedo is controlled by the wheel speed sensors. the gear in the trans is used for other functions. when to drop the air ride, and such.
so you can gear change all you want, and the speedo will never change.

the .5 inch difference isn't much, only about 2 percent.

which tires are shorter, front or back?

rears are shorter. Front = 245-45-18 rear = 295-35-18

rears are shorter. Front = 245-45-18 rear = 295-35-18

there is your problem i'm afraid.
the shorter tire in the back has to roll faster to go the same speed as the front.
(higher rotational speed for the same linear speed)
the computer reads this as wheel spin and intervenes.

unfortunately, the only fix (that i know of) is to even out the tire sizes. 255-40/18s out front will bring the difference down to 0.4%.

I don't think the tires are the problem. Probably a sensor
I ran stock up front and 225/60/15s out back last winter no problem and that is a 3.8% difference
This was on my 95 though.

I don't think the tires are the problem. Probably a sensor
I ran stock up front and 225/60/15s out back last winter no problem and that is a 3.8% difference
This was on my 95 though.

trac control on a 95 shuts off at 30 mph.
the 2nd gens have all speed trac control.
at higher speeds, the speed difference is higher, so the trac control will kick in.
several people have had tc issues on 2nd gens when 1st have not.
ive run all kinds of crazy tires set up on my 93 with nothing.

what about going taller out back with 295 40? are there sensors at all 4 corners?

you could do that as well.
and yes.

so what the torque converter senses the different speed of the tires and is slipping to adjust? im just trying to feel what its doing

so what the torque converter senses the different speed of the tires and is slipping to adjust? im just trying to feel what its doing

TC is traction control. sorry.
it compares wheel speeds using wheel speed sensors.
if the rear is going faster than the front, it assumes the wheels are spinning and hits the rear brakes, and (on a 2nd gen) cuts engine power to control the spinning.

got it, just wasnt sure exactly how it works, when i stomp on it in mine i dont feel the engine being affected,but i definitely feel slower, with tc off it will roast pretty good, but it acts differently with od on or off for sure

I under stand the all speed tc as I have a Gen 2 but I though
That with a sct tuner (not to familiar with) you could also put in tire size.

The other thing is on the 95 you may not even notice tc kicking in. I can do burnouts easily with it on.

1st gens only apply brakes. 2nd gens cut into the engine so its actually noticeable.

The other thing is on the 95 you may not even notice tc kicking in. I can do burnouts easily with it on.

1st gens only apply brakes. 2nd gens cut into the engine so its actually noticeable.

No sir I'm a driver not a commuter I know what my cars are doing. I know when my tc is on or off

when i bought my 98 lsc, i picked it up with 225-60-16 in the front, and 245-50-16 rears and as soon as i hit 20 miles an hour, it was like the car just shut off, i would have to stop, and turn the trac control off, they the car was fine, as long as i left it off, so once i got back to fl from n. caroline i put 4 new tires on the car, all 225-60-16 and now i can leave the tc on with no problems at all. so, for what that is worth, your tires are most likely the problem, they need to be closer to the same height, my 97 had 18's on it, 245-40 in the front and 275-40 in the rear never had a problem, even when i had my 285-35 in the rear and 245-40 front i had no problems.

I run 215-60-16 Firestones on the front on mini spares and 255-50-16 Mickeys on the back at the track. No issues. Otherwise the back tires are 225-60-16 street tires when I'm not at the track and I retain the skinnies up front just because it looks cool LOL. I try to match all of my tires VERY close to stock height which IIRC is about 26.5". Easy peazy. Start messing around with different heights on your tires and you're asking for problems with the traction control.

BTW slowmkviii, are you going to put that fullsize in your trunk for a spare? I haven't had the chance to do anything with the aluminums I bought. If that's not cool please send me a PM and we'll get it figured out. I'm reluctant to take the car anywhere with these crappy roads by us but I will if you need one of the steelies. I don't wanna leave ya hangin'....

I under stand the all speed tc as I have a Gen 2 but I though
That with a sct tuner (not to familiar with) you could also put in tire size.

To correct for speedometer error. Not to reprogram the abs ecu for traction control operation.

Since you also have a gen 2 go put smaller tires on the rear and try it out.

To correct for speedometer error. Not to reprogram the abs ecu for traction control operation.

Since you also have a gen 2 go put smaller tires on the rear and try it out.

Can't the Gen 2 has been hub swapped and I don't have anything smaller than what's on it

Members online

No members online now.
Back