Gas Tank Removal?

2002_lincolnLS

Custom User Title
Reaction score
2002 Lincoln LS
V-8

Has anyone removed the gas tank on their own before I will be needing to this sometime in the near future. What all has to be removed to pull it down?

Also any tips regarding fuel pumps? removal and other troubles regarding it.

If youre replacing the fuel pump, lift up the back seat and open the black circular access panel.

2002 Lincoln LS
V-8

Has anyone removed the gas tank on their own before I will be needing to this sometime in the near future. What all has to be removed to pull it down?

Also any tips regarding fuel pumps? removal and other troubles regarding it.

The propshaft for sure and probably the exhaust. Alldata shows 3 hours labor plus the time it takes to drain the fuel.

No answer yet, but what both Joe and I are trying to say is that unless the tank is damaged, it's hard to figure out what you need to accomplish. Both the electric fuel pump and the siphon 'pump' and the float mechanisms attached to the gas gauge are accessed through the openings under the back seat cushion.

KS

Judging by his thread from last week, he may even be looking for the fuel filter.

well, the reason is, I think there may be all kinds of contaminants in the tank.

I have a strange problem where the car will be fine in the morning but after a while of driving it slowly start stuttering then it will surge then die.

I talked to my Uncle (sae master certified tech) and he has seen where there will be :q:q:q:q in the tank that will start sucking up to the sock then settle back down to the bottom of the tank overnight.

I got a fuel pressure gauge and while driving this is what it does.

Fine for a while then during the stuttering it will be about 30psi then 40 then 25 then 35 so on and so on.

then during the surging it will do the same only more drastic like up to 50 then back to 20 then all in between. But in the morning all is fine or if it sits for period of time.

Whats okay,

vacuum
coils
spark plugs
vcg
full tank of gas
brand new battery
brand new fuel filter
brand new maf sensor
clean air filter
so..... what the hell is going on

maybe it just needs a rb26 and a nice garrett turbo and a nice huge electric fuel pump and a new fuel cell....

I'd pull the fuel pump from under the passenger-side back seat and look in the hole. The opening must be 4-6 inches across. In fact, if you need to do a clean-out job it would be much easier to go through the hole than pull the tank first. JMO

KS

Cammerfe,

I have thought about that, Are there any good tips you have on how to pull the pump, or anything that is easy to screw up in doing so.

I am also going to search the threads to see what i can find.

Also, be aware the fuel pressure is supposed to change with engine vacuum level.

well not consistently with the gas pressure....

Understood. I'd pull the electric pump out and see what it looks like, as well as the gas tank. It could also be that the pump is failing when it gets hot after running for a while.

Fuel pressure regulator? Vacuum line to it?

After the pump primes, does the fuel-pressure drop within like 5-10 minutes? or stay pretty much where it was at? I had a fuel pressure regulator that went bad with the same symptoms.

Cammerfe,

I have thought about that, Are there any good tips you have on how to pull the pump, or anything that is easy to screw up in doing so.

I am also going to search the threads to see what i can find.

There's a plastic ring, like on a Mason Jar, that holds everything together. There's also a tool you can get to help unscrew it. I've never used one and never found it very difficult to work on. 'Bip' it lightly with a screwdriver to get it started turning, and be careful when putting it back together since it has a tendency to try to cross-thread. Good Luck!!!

KS

Fuel pressure regulator? Vacuum line to it?

After the pump primes, does the fuel-pressure drop within like 5-10 minutes? or stay pretty much where it was at? I had a fuel pressure regulator that went bad with the same symptoms.

The LS is a returnless fuel system. It doesn't have a fuel pressure regulator at the end of the rail that returns excess fuel to the tank to maintain the correct pressure.

Instead, fuel pressure is regulated by the REM controlling how much power the fuel pump gets from moment to moment. The PCM reads a fuel pressure sensor on the fuel rail at the engine that gives fuel pressure relative the intake manifold pressure/vacuum. The PCM then sends commands to the REM to increase or decrease fuel pump power as needed.

Do you guys think that if i were to remove the rear seats as to get to the fuel pumps and somehow just lower the gas take a bit, if possible, that i would be able to reach in above the tank and access my fuel vapor control tubes, which are located so perfectly on top of the tank. My tank does not want to accept gas. We already did the vapor control valve test and the valve functions normally. Ive read alot about those tubes getting pinched and blocked.
I pulled my filler tube off the tank the other day after i put about a gallon and a half in the tank and there was about half a gallon of gas that came rushing out of the filler tube when i removed it. I felt in and the check valve seem to be loose and free moving so as much as i thought it was that check valve not allowing the gas into the tank im pretty much ruling that out at the moment. Just would like to know i have exhausted my own abilities and options before taking it to the stealership.

Do you guys think that if i were to remove the rear seats as to get to the fuel pumps and somehow just lower the gas take a bit, if possible, that i would be able to reach in above the tank and access my fuel vapor control tubes, which are located so perfectly on top of the tank. My tank does not want to accept gas. We already did the vapor control valve test and the valve functions normally. Ive read alot about those tubes getting pinched and blocked.
I pulled my filler tube off the tank the other day after i put about a gallon and a half in the tank and there was about half a gallon of gas that came rushing out of the filler tube when i removed it. I felt in and the check valve seem to be loose and free moving so as much as i thought it was that check valve not allowing the gas into the tank im pretty much ruling that out at the moment. Just would like to know i have exhausted my own abilities and options before taking it to the stealership.

You only have to remove the rear seat bottom cushion to get to the fuel tank. The rest of the seat can stay. There are two quick release latches to use to get the seat bottom out. It couldn't be easier.

I am confused. In your other thread you said that the vent system had been tested and was good. I don't see how that could be the case if you haven't even gone into the tank yet?

Have you disconnected the tank vent tube at the canister vent solenoid? (If you can fill the tank okay with the tube disconnected at the solenoid, then the know it isn't the tank plumbing. It's the solenoid or something past it.) How did you verify the solenoid valve was good? I hope it wasn't just and OBDII or other electrical test.

You only have to remove the rear seat bottom cushion to get to the fuel tank. The rest of the seat can stay. There are two quick release latches to use to get the seat bottom out. It couldn't be easier.

I am confused. In your other thread you said that the vent system had been tested and was good. I don't see how that could be the case if you haven't even gone into the tank yet?

Have you disconnected the tank vent tube at the canister vent solenoid? (If you can fill the tank okay with the tube disconnected at the solenoid, then the know it isn't the tank plumbing. It's the solenoid or something past it.) How did you verify the solenoid valve was good? I hope it wasn't just and OBDII or other electrical test.
Yes, that is what i meant, only remove the bottom seat cushions to get to the tank. I believe i need to get to all the vent tubing on top of the tank though and then eventually to the canisters. I have heard that you have to drop the whole rear end to get to the top of the tank, which my mechanic buddy is not willing to do in the short amount of time we have in the shop.

well we did the smoke test from the evap purge valve in the engine bay, introduced smoke into the system and with a computer (the computer thing that does plug into to the OBDII) commanded the gas tank vent valve open and closed, when commanded open smoke was exiting through the vent tube, when commanded closed the smoke stopped. I am kinda wondering what the paramiters are that control those valves are, as in maybe whatever it is that commands the vent valve to open while filling up isn't sending the right signal or the controller isn't sending the signal to open the valve.

Since doing this smoke test i have gotten the check fuel cap message with the accompanying P0455 code (EVAP gross leak). i messed with the gas cap, filled the tank and it went away for the time being. I know this is a separate issue, but just in case it is all related i wanted to let you know.

No i haven't tried removing tank vent tube but will try that on friday. Thank you.

hijacked thread update

Ok so after working on my gas take for another few hours i am getting closer to what i believe is the cause my hard to fill issue. Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot of the system that is accesible. Any who long story short we hadn't come up with any smoking guns or anything. But after we had given up for the day i needed gas so when i stopped to get some, just for shiggles after confirming no change in the fill characteristics, i.e. filling cuts off every .15 of a gallon, i opened the hood and disconnected the evap vapor tube from the evap purge valve in the engine compartment. Well the entire tank filled all the way up, no stops no nothing. So to me that confirms that there are no blockages in any of the tubes or canisters all the way back to the tank, and indicates either a faulty purge valve or clogged vapor recirc tube (or whatever the one that vents the vapors back into the intake) would i be correct in this thinking? My mechanic buddy doesn't think so, but im thinking either way when i try to fill the tank somehow there is pressure building up in that tube that needs to go somewhere whether it is to atmosphere or back into my intake.

Members online

No members online now.
Back