Key Fobs

jgbigguy

LVC Member
Reaction score
The 04 LS i just bought only came with 1 key and 1 key fob. I am def going to get a spare key made (for my own comfort) and wanted to get a 2nd key fob. The one that came with the car is the standard Ford 3 button remote with Lock/Unlock/Panic buttons. I have found the standard Ford 4 button remotes on eday for fairly cheap. Was wondering if i can just get a 4 button fob so i can remotely release the truck as well.

That's an F150 key fob. Looks like they lost the original and just programmed whichever one.

Plenty of the 4 button fobs on eBay.

weren't all key FOBs 4 button? all 3 of mine are 4 button.
im not sure, all i know is that when i bought the car, the dealer gave me the one and only key and fob with the vehicle and it only has 3 buttons.

Mine also came with 1 key and fob. Mine is also a 4 button. I've been looking into getting a new 2nd set but the programming for the key is $100+ everywhere I've checked.

That's an F150 key fob. Looks like they lost the original and just programmed whichever one.

Plenty of the 4 button fobs on eBay.
ok cool, i just wanted to make sure i could use a 4 button...It would bug me to no end if i bought 4 button remotes and can't use the trunk button.

also, if you are going to get another key made, since they will have to program it at the dealer, you might as well get two made, that way if you ever lose one again, you can program it your self with the two valid keys you still have

there is a company local to me called ekeys 4 cars (ekeys4cars.com). I called them because I need a 2nd key and 2 new fobs (one button on mine is broken). They quoted me $65 for the key and $45 each (programmed) for the fobs. They just told me to bring the car down and they could do it.

ok cool, i just wanted to make sure i could use a 4 button...It would bug me to no end if i bought 4 button remotes and can't use the trunk button.

The LS only ever came with four button remotes, so clearly the four button will work. The only thing to be careful of is to make sure you get the same generation as your car.

Has anybody tried the new Lincoln key fobs??

Like the ones used on the mks/mkx???

I like it because it's all intergrated into the key like the chrysler fobs.

Ah, yea those are neat too. I wanted the switch key one, I think one without the key exposed is neat. lol

IIRC, can't the remotes on Gen 2 be programmed via the normal Ford 8 lock/unlock dance? Gen 1 remotes have to be programmed by a dealer.
Keys still need to be programmed by a locksmith or dealer for Gen 1 and also (I believe) Gen 2.
Confirm/deny por favor.

IIRC, can't the remotes on Gen 2 be programmed via the normal Ford 8 lock/unlock dance? Gen 1 remotes have to be programmed by a dealer.
Keys still need to be programmed by a locksmith or dealer for Gen 1 and also (I believe) Gen 2.
Confirm/deny por favor.

What you say is true, except that with both gen I and gen II the user can program a new key, so long as you already have two working keys. If you only have one, you need a dealer, a good locksmith, or a good scan tool.

What you say is true, except that with both gen I and gen II the user can program a new key, so long as you already have two working keys. If you only have one, you need a dealer, a good locksmith, or a good scan tool.

Does "two working keys" mean two of the regular keys, or can you do it with one regular and one valet key?

Does "two working keys" mean two of the regular keys, or can you do it with one regular and one valet key?

Yes, one regular and one valet key will work. The only difference in the valet key is the way it's cut. PATS doesn't care about that.

Final note. Got both of my new remotes, both work properly and got them cheap...2 for $15.99 from an ebay company called remotez4less. Speedy delivery and great product, Highly recommend them. Thanks for all your help!

Has anybody tried the new Lincoln key fobs??

Like the ones used on the mks/mkx???

I like it because it's all intergrated into the key like the chrysler fobs.

According to this website it is an alternate solution when I put in 05 lincoln ls. Looks like it all comes down to the type of ignition. I still wonder about the one drizzle posted.

It should have. Did you buy it used?

Yea from a Lincoln Dealer, they gave me 2 sets of keys but both are just regular no grey valet like the manual says... must have been "misplaced" by the previous owner or dealer

Final note. Got both of my new remotes, both work properly and got them cheap...2 for $15.99 from an ebay company called remotez4less. Speedy delivery and great product, Highly recommend them. Thanks for all your help!

Excellent! I was just looking at one of their ads on ebay to replace a fob with a dead unlock button. Believe it of not, I actually recently had to insert my key into a little keyhole by the door handle recently [gasp!] to open the door. Yes, I forgot the unlock code, too. :/ Thankfully it worked, or I'd still be standing there trying to press the unlock button. lol

It looks like you can get a single one for about $9 shipping included if you win the auction -- otherwise it's $11.

Was it very easy to program?

Excellent! I was just looking at one of their ads on ebay to replace a fob with a dead unlock button. Believe it of not, I actually recently had to insert my key into a little keyhole by the door handle recently [gasp!] to open the door. Yes, I forgot the unlock code, too. :/ Thankfully it worked, or I'd still be standing there trying to press the unlock button. lol

It looks like you can get a single one for about $9 shipping included if you win the auction -- otherwise it's $11.

Was it very easy to program?
yes the remotes were very easy to program. took all of about 2 mins to program both of them. It is in the OM how to do it, and even a video on youtube on how to do it.

to replace a fob with a dead unlock button.

I don't know why I didn't think to open the darn thing up before I ordered a new one. :rolleyes: There are four little SMT buttons on the circuit board, and they just happen to be the same buttons that another ebay seller sent me accidentally when fulfilling a different order. A couple minutes with a soldering iron and a pair of tweezers and it's good as new. :)

If anyone has a dead button or two and isn't afraid to try soldering, let me know -- I have some of these buttons left over.

Plus it looks like I also have an extra key fob on the way. It least it was only less than $9!

Members online

No members online now.
Back