a few questions. 95 town car

95towncar

LVC Member
Reaction score
my steering is really sloppy, so do these cars have rack and pinion or a steering box? also, pretty much all the shocks are shot, and the rear are bag has a leak, so i want to re do them, rear first. i have my eye on some air shocks (adjustable manualy) and stiffer springs, let me know if you know other combos to stiffen it up. also after those. mufflers, i like cherry bomb extremes (stock dual exhaust) also let me know some ideas. uhmmm. then later hopefully new rings and head gaskets and such to freshen it up a little. thanks for reading ! :cool:

I know a lot about the late model Crown Vic and it shares the same "Panther" platform. That being said, FoMoCo underwent substantial suspension changes during the 2003 model year, including the introduction of Rack & Pinion. So you'll be a traditional "saginaw" type linkage. your "slop" is usually caused by a worn gearbox and/or steering linkage. I'd get a thorough front end inspection and replace the worn parts. Most domestic shocks and struts are lucky to see past the 50,000 mile mark in good working order, so plan on replacing those. your model should have the rear air spring, if I'm not mistaken. look for an air suspension shut off switch on the left or right side, inside the trunk. Or, without lifting the car, look under and see if you have bags or springs over the rear axle. If you have rear air springs you can either replace them or convert to coil spring. (www.arnottindustries.com) Be careful on your exhaust, remember no matter what muffler you choose, a little backpressure is a good thing. a lot of Crown Vic drivers like the Magnaflow and Flowmaster. You can check Youtube for what they sound like. Now then, the cool part. Because you have a Panther car you can look for performance parts from it's brother, the Crown Vic. Then use some common sense and ask some questions to the parts suppliers, and you'll find everything from Police coil springs, to superchargers and even a 5.4 Triton swap available for your ride! Just do more homework first. crownvic.net is the forum you could ask as well. Good luck!

thanks! and it has the air bags. so i dont know if the air shocks i want will fit. as a straight swap. but all the suspension needs replaced bad. rear is first though. also, how would i see why my check engine light is on, and the code to why the blower is always on high. the auto parts stores only have a reader for 96+ and i have a 95. and i plan on keeping the stock exhaust just replacing the mufflers so back pressure shouldnt be a problem, seeing people run these mufflers straight. but thank you for the info! :D

thanks! and it has the air bags. so i dont know if the air shocks i want will fit. as a straight swap. but all the suspension needs replaced bad. rear is first though. also, how would i see why my check engine light is on, and the code to why the blower is always on high. the auto parts stores only have a reader for 96+ and i have a 95. and i plan on keeping the stock exhaust just replacing the mufflers so back pressure shouldnt be a problem, seeing people run these mufflers straight. but thank you for the info! :D

My 95 Town Car has very similiar issues: I put on coil springs and new rear shocks after the pump quit - that worked out well. the front still needs shocks & I am sure the steering mech. is shot. The windshield wipers wont park - the parking cam is wore out & FoMoCo quit making the part. The electronics suck-- Ford electronics are the worst. It has 190K miles, but it is just like me & my wife-- married 53 years with lots of hard miles-- we still love our Towncar just like we still love each other-- time & rough roads & high miles have taken their toll, but we just keep limping along--

i have a few thoughts for mods. one being a different rear end. lower gears and posi. so i get better mpg in town. also a top end rebuild, just let me know if you know of any easy ways to get more power out of it. let me know. also, coil overs. really want to make this thing a sleeper. and not just in a straight line. i want it to take corners better than it does.

I would consider an engine swap really. You have the NPI engine and they are gutless. A PI motor swap would be much better. Then you could even run a PI intake and maybe a set of Hitech stage2 cams with a BBK equal length header setup and full exhaust. That would definitely liven it up along with a steeper gearset and even a stall if you want.

if i do a motor swap it would be like a 5.4 or a 302 maybe a 351 but that might be pushing it. and if i did that, a 5 speed for sure

My 95 Town Car has very similiar issues: I put on coil springs and new rear shocks after the pump quit - that worked out well. the front still needs shocks & I am sure the steering mech. is shot. The windshield wipers wont park - the parking cam is wore out & FoMoCo quit making the part. The electronics suck-- Ford electronics are the worst. It has 190K miles, but it is just like me & my wife-- married 53 years with lots of hard miles-- we still love our Towncar just like we still love each other-- time & rough roads & high miles have taken their toll, but we just keep limping along--

Just so you know, the wipper fix is to put a new ground wire to the wiper housing :)
Common on most Lincolns

Members online

No members online now.
Back