99 Continental Fuel Pump Probs

Dieselmechanic

New LVC Member
Reaction score
99 Conti here, 68,000 miles.
Drives perfectly fine, then will die and not restart. Fuel pump is shutting off on me.
No codes thrown (other than a airbag code 36).
Previous owner had the same problem, the stealership replaced the pigtail to the Crank Position Sensor. Errors fromt eh CPS can cause it to shut off the fuel pump, correct?
Just kinda new to the Ford thing. :p How would you guys go about diagnosing this?
Thanks!

Well I haven't had this problem,but if I had to start somewhere I'd check the fuel relay,fuel filter,fuses,fuel pump connection,PATS transceiver.I Hope this helps you out.

No security light, fuel pump module seems to be working, fuel filter is new, fuel pump connection is clean, and no codes. :(

I'm guessin the cam or crank sensor.

Could be related to the throttle body

what? how? i doubt it..

No security light, fuel pump module seems to be working, fuel filter is new, fuel pump connection is clean, and no codes. :(

I'm guessin the cam or crank sensor.

crank or cam sensors are known to cause intermittent stalling and no restarts. common issues on the mark's.

After months we ended up replacing the fuel controller module, turns out they have temperature related issues, too cold or too hot.

Any leaks in the vacuum or pcv system can kill the motor, but usually throws a code. Hose that goes from the valve cover to the throttle body is a good thing to replace.

After months we ended up replacing the fuel controller module, turns out they have temperature related issues, too cold or too hot.

Bleh... Somethin else to troubleshoot. LOL
Well, the crank and cam sensors are replaced... Gonna make the 1,200 mile drive in it back from Vermont to Kentucky starting Friday morning.
I also have a spare fuel pump in the trunk... But just for the hell of it, I might see if I can find a fuel control module also.
Got my fingers crossed it is uneventful!

Bleh... Somethin else to troubleshoot. LOL
Well, the crank and cam sensors are replaced... Gonna make the 1,200 mile drive in it back from Vermont to Kentucky starting Friday morning.
I also have a spare fuel pump in the trunk... But just for the hell of it, I might see if I can find a fuel control module also.
Got my fingers crossed it is uneventful!

We are working on one at the shop where I work, we have replaced the pump & the driver module, did ok for a day and now its back to the same old problem of dying & sometimes not starting. The mechanic on the job said he could supply ground at the PCM output and it would start every time.

So I made the 1,300 mile drive from Vermont to west Kentucky with no problems!
I pull in the driveway, my mother comes out (ultimately I bought the car for her), gets in and starts it. It immediately dies. LOL
What I DID notice is the security light flashing like crazy.

Then yesterday while cleaning it out... I notice a wiring harness hanging down below the driverside dash. The damn thing had an aftermarket remote start/keyless entry installed.
I used to install these when I lived in ABQ, and I know they can be a headache on PATS. Took the dash apart, and they had everything twisted together and taped, looked like crap. Ripped it all out, hopefully this'll cure it!

Old alarm systems, you sure can learn to hate them.

Is there any diagnostic to run on the fuel pump PCM? Could be a brand new flaky part.

Update:
Replaced the fuel pump... No more issues with it not cranking.
But now it only starts on the 2nd attempt or after cranking 3-4 seconds... :(

Members online

Back