2000 Continental Water Pump? Coolant Leak.

wildrage

LVC Member
Reaction score
I've been searching for this for 45 mins and can't believe I can't find a thread regarding replacing the water pump.

I've been having a coolant leak. There is a puddle underneath the car in the morning, and I can see it leaking down the serpantine belt area, so I'm assuming it's the water pump.

The leak started very slowly, would cause the belt to squeel. I would lose approx 10% of the coolant resevoir a month. I was lazy and didn't fix it, and now I lose 50% of the resevoir in an hour (yikes).

Anybody have any experience with these? I read somewhere that it could also be the extension tube. I'm going to replace this myself regardless, just want to know what I'm getting myself into. I've replaced the water pump on the 4.6 DOHC RWD version of this engine - it looks a bit more tricky for the FWD.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

If memory serves me right the hardest part was getting the belt on and off. There's a special slot to stick the jack in to give the pully a bit of wiggle room to pop the belt on and off. I'd recommend two people one person working from the top the other the bottom of the car on that belt since its so tight in there.

Replace EVERYTHING that wears while you are in there. I looked over the job, and decided a lift made it enough easier I wasn't willing to do it myself.

I'll be changing the water pump this weekend. Get a manual if you don't have one. I've change the alternator and serpentine belt and the belt is a pain. I have a similar but small leak if you look under car on the right side and turn the wheel out. Move the plastic flap in wheel well a bit and use a flash light while car runs you might see the leak. I am also changing the thermostat and any hoses. Good luck the only thing I hate is the mess it makes and how tight the space is but it's not rocket science. Good luck.:D

Members online

No members online now.
Back