air bag light

jdouglas22

LVC Member
Reaction score
I've looked around and found some theories to why my air bag light is on. It flashes three times then two does that awhile then stays on. I've saw someone say a clock spring but all buttons on steering wheel work. Then I saw cables getting snagged under seat I felt under there everything felt ok. Suggestions?

scan

You really need to get a scan to tell the codes. The codes let you know where the problem is.

You really need to get a scan to tell the codes. The codes let you know where the problem is.

He's got the code. A scan for the four digit code isn't going to tell anything different. LFC 32 = B1932.

I've looked around and found some theories to why my air bag light is on. It flashes three times then two does that awhile then stays on. I've saw someone say a clock spring but all buttons on steering wheel work. Then I saw cables getting snagged under seat I felt under there everything felt ok. Suggestions?

1. It's entirely possible for a clockspring fault to only affect the SRS and have everything else still work. The clockspring has several traces (conductors). If only one of them for the airbag breaks, then only the SRS will fail.

2. You really can't tell if the underseat connector is good just by feel.

In this thread, about halfway down, is a good post describing the codes
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=33343
here are the codes:

B1932 32 8 Driver Air Bag Circuit Resistance High
B1993 36 22 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Ground
B1992 36 22 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Shorted to Battery or Ignition
B1994 36 22 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit High Resistance
B1995 36 22 Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Resistance Low

Typically, a 32 is a broken or open wire, and a 36 is a short.

So that is why a 32 is usually the connector under the driver seat (to the driver position sensor in the seat) since the seat moves back and forth all the time (with easy-entry) - the wires break causing it to go 'open circuit'.

the 36 is usually a short - so when the clock-spring fails - it's actually a ribbon cable in the steering column that wear through - causing multiple wires to rub through bare and short to each-other.

but - since this is an electircal circuit - any bare wire could cause an open or a short....

I recently got through a airbag light problem (code 3-6) in this thread
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=76870

Logically thinking, if you have the 3-2 or 3-6 codes, and the problem isn't the clockspring:
1 - the most likely point of failure will have to be in a harness connector somewhere in the system
2 - the most likely connectors to fail are those subjected to motion. So the first suspicion will be the seat airbag connections since the seat moves, either when you adjust it or when you get in and out of the car
3 - there are two connectors. The first, with the most common problem, is the underseat connector. In my case, I gave up on that connector and hard-wired the seat. The second is the connector to the side airbag. In my case I found that connector was also loose. You can't hardwire that one, so you have no choice but to fix it.

2. You really can' tell if the underseat connector is good just by feel.
I had to disconnect and re-connect mine several times to prove out that the connector itself wasn't make a solid connection. One I re-connected it, the light would stay off for a few hours about half the time.

In this thread, about halfway down, is a good post describing the codes
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=33343

I recently got through a airbag light problem (code 3-6) in this thread
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=76870

Logically thinking, if you have the 3-2 or 3-6 codes, and the problem isn't the clockspring:
1 - the most likely point of failure will have to be in a harness connector somewhere in the system
2 - the most likely connectors to fail are those subjected to motion. So the first suspicion will be the seat airbag connections since the seat moves, either when you adjust it or when you get in and out of the car
3 - there are two connectors. The first, with the most common problem, is the underseat connector. In my case, I gave up on that connector and hard-wired the seat. The second is the connector to the side airbag. In my case I found that connector was also loose. You can't hardwire that one, so you have no choice but to fix it.

I had to disconnect and re-connect mine several times to prove out that the connector itself wasn't make a solid connection. One I re-connected it, the light would stay off for a few hours about half the time.

My 3-2 code was the clockspring.

Where is the connector for the side airbag? Thank you again for all of your input.

My scannner actually gives you locations or better areas for the fault. Sorry, I never saw the code being listed.

Everything worked on my wheel when I got the 32 code. Replaced Clock spring and all better.

I have the same problem on my 2000 ls v8..flash's 2 times then 3 times then stays on..!

Im wondering if its worth fixing or paying the money to have the codes read..?

I dont have alot of extra cash laying around and this car is a never ending something..!

Im thinking of trading it in in about 6 months i like my car alot but im allways fixing something and im no machanic so im allways paying someone to fix this car...!

My question is ..Is the light worth fixing or getting the codes read because of the airbag light...or is it worth just driving like that for 6 months and getting rid of this money pit..!

I do have a 3 year waranty and did just buy this car 6 months ago in that time I have replaced..o2 sensor..5 coil packs..all fluids..all speakers..now tires..and im wondering if the AIRBAG light is even worth it I have no clue if my warany covers it Im asuming not sence it hasent covered anything besides a stupid $40 o2 sencer that cost me my waranty $100 so it wasnt even worth it..Thanks for the help..

I have the same problem on my 2000 ls v8..flash's 2 times then 3 times then stays on..!

I dont have alot of extra cash laying around and this car is a never ending something..!

Im thinking of trading it in in about 6 months i like my car alot but im allways fixing something and im no machanic so im allways paying someone to fix this car...!

My question is ..Is the light worth fixing or getting the codes read because of the airbag light...or is it worth just driving like that for 6 months and getting rid of this money pit..!

I do have a 3 year waranty and did just buy this car 6 months ago in that time I have replaced..o2 sensor..5 coil packs..all fluids..all speakers..now tires..and im wondering if the AIRBAG light is even worth it I have no clue if my warany covers it Im asuming not sence it hasent covered anything besides a stupid $40 o2 sencer that cost me my waranty $100 so it wasnt even worth it..Thanks for the help..

I can't comment on your warranty, but I think it's worth fixing this. When it's flashing it means the airbags won't work properly.

People have been able to fix this problem on their own. I did after giving up on the dealership, but it took some time (see the thread I linked above). I was driven to fix it for three reasons: 1) I can't stand it when something doesn't work right 2) My wife and kids ride in the car with me 3) I didn't think I could sell the car if the airbags don't work. Actually, there's a fourth: once the light burns out, the car will chime at you every time you turn it on (something like 15 chimes every time, or so I've read in other threads)

If the problem is with your underseat connector, that's a cheap and easy fix. If you have problems with your steering wheel controls, the clock spring is suspect, and that's a more expensive repair. These are both very common problems on this car.

That is all normal maintenance that you will have on any car (except for the speakers; were they bad or you just wanted better ones?). I would either learn some basic mechanical skills (the O2 sensors are so easy I could teach my wife to do them....there are no coil packs, the LS has a coil on each plug and not too hard to replace on the V8) or ride a bicycle; which will also require maintenance.

As for the airbag light. If you don't mind driving around without the protection of the airbag just leave it. You may or may not be able to sell the car (legally) with an airbag malfunction; depends on your states laws. If you want a car that you can just gas-and-go you're out of luck. None exists. You could always just buy a new one when it needs an oil change, tires and gas.

PLEASE take a spelling class!

Thanks for the help regiment1..

Everything works on my steering wheel..so I think I should start with under the seat first..Im assuming I need to take the seat out and Im also assuming I will see wires and just look for a loose wire..then I can take it out and solder or crimp it back in..Im just taking a wild guess..

Is that what I need to do..??
Do you have a link for under the seat..??

Thank you for your help..

You can just slide your seat all the way forward and you'll see the underseat connector. It's yellow, can't miss it.

There is a thread (probably more than one) that show the connector. I found those by searching for "connector"

I hadn't had problems with my car for a while. Finally got the airbag, 3-2....ugghhh. now to read up and fix a connector

Mine just came on today i moved the seat foward to get something from under the seat and the air bag light came on? Clock spring was replaced a yr ago, I have a aftermarket radio but my cruise control works fine, So im guessing its the connector I looked under there and its all plugged in but the red wire seems a little loose inside the connector.

Does someone have a pic of the connector? I don't have access to a computer atm and searching on my phone is a pain. Also, can I buy it from Maxx?

I looked under the seat and see some wires but none look loose

I checked under the seat and looked at the yellow connection. The connection itself seemed solid, can it still be that connection If it visually looks ok?

I checked under the seat and looked at the yellow connection. The connection itself seemed solid, can it still be that connection If it visually looks ok?

Yes, it can. It could also be that your problem is the clockspring instead.

Yes, it can. It could also be that your problem is the clockspring instead.

Can it be a clock spring if the airbag light blinks 3 & 2? I disconnected the battery yesterday to check it but then I forgot to do it. I'll check today.

Members online

Back