Girlfriend stole my LS

LS6, are you on your phone typing this? Your text always looks like it's supposed to be a poem lol.

The Manual transmission was available in 200-2002. These are really fun to drive but don't have the low end power that the v8 has so around town it doesn't feel like much. BUT when you need to pass just pull the revs above 4k and you'll scoot and keep up with the v8, or at least I can ;)

You won't get better fuel economy with the stick though because there's no overdrive. Just an FYI.

Actually I am on my phone... And I always go over 4k
When I passing or racing someone. Rather I'm in my
'94 Ford probe, or in my '00 cavalier lol.
But overdrive wise I wouldn't need it due to my '00
Is an auto and would use that one to travel and what
Not. So no worries there. But I'll just see what comes up.

With a gen II v8 you may not even want to drive the six anymore.

The official reason was that the manual transmission that they had couldn't handle the power from the V8 (either generation) or the gen II V6. I think that another factor was that the manual didn't sell real well because manual buyers didn't generally go to Lincoln dealers.

Lincoln had the chance to really have something with the LS, but they weren't willing to take a chance and put enough money into the car or into marketing the car. They also weren't willing to allow enough time for the market to find it.

As I recall, the LS was a rush job in general. Jacques Nasser put Lincoln into the Premier Automotive Group with Land Rover, Aston Martin and Jaguar. The idea was to make Lincoln able to compete with BMW / Audi in the US by leveraging the Jaguar and LR platforms and technologies. But Nasser was under major pressure to do this quickly since Ford's performance had been on the wane for years. So the LS got the S-type platform and a slightly modified engine. They didn't want to compete directly with Jag so they couldn't use the Jag 6 speed transmission. Due to the big rush they crammed the explorer/mountaineer 5 speed into the V8. There was no 6 cylinder S-type so they went all Mondeo on the LS 6. They just didn't have enough time to make the car ready.

They had quality problems and design problems with the Gen I. Then Nasser was out in Oct. of '01, and Lincoln was moved out of the PAG shortly thereafter. So the LS didn't get the R&D from the get-go, and it didn't get anything after '01. That's why Lincoln missed a great shot with the LS. It was sooooo close.

My understanding (which could be wrong) was that the Jaguar S-Type and the Lincoln LS (DEW98 platform) were developed at about the same time, as a joint Ford/Jaguar venture. I don't know about the time pressures, but I think that they missed the planned deadline to complete it.
The S-type did have a V6 version, it used a slightly modified version of the Ford 3.0L that was used on the LS. I see more S-type 3.0 on the road than I do S-type 4.0.

As for getting no attention after 01, that's not true. Major updates were made in 03. By 05, they knew that Jaguar was going to be sold off, and efforts on the LS stopped.

My understanding (which could be wrong) was that the Jaguar S-Type and the Lincoln LS (DEW98 platform) were developed at about the same time, as a joint Ford/Jaguar venture. I don't know about the time pressures, but I think that they missed the planned deadline to complete it.
The S-type did have a V6 version, it used a slightly modified version of the Ford 3.0L that was used on the LS. I see more S-type 3.0 on the road than I do S-type 4.0.

As for getting no attention after 01, that's not true. Major updates were made in 03. By 05, they knew that Jaguar was going to be sold off, and efforts on the LS stopped.

There were no time restraints and the LS and S-Type were developed together. The V6 is a reworked version of the Duratech found in the Taurus and Sable of the time. The debut was delayed quite a while to "get it right". Don't look at this trough 2011 glasses, look at the car through 2000 glasses. The reason the LS was left to die had more to do with economic scales than anything else. There is the lack of advertising due to lack of sales due to lack of advertising due to lack of sales circle as well as Lincoln (Nasser) deciding not to sell the LS in Europe as a Jaguar competitor. That, and the LS was just too expensive to manufacture. Remember, in 2005-2006 things were starting to get a bit shaky. I had a real estate friend tell me in the winter of 2001 that the real estate market was on the verge of collapse as the banks were lending out too much money (to people that couldn't pay it back). We all know what happened next.

The LS was just too expensive to build. Ever notice the (inexpensive) stamped steel suspension parts on the CTS vs. our (expensive) aluminum pieces?

The LS was cutting edge for Lincoln in 2000 and died for many complicated reasons. The dealer network, IMHO, is mostly responsible.

Back to the G/F stealing the car.......

I couldn't get my wife's birthday off one year, years ago (to her it's a National Holiday!). She called to inform me she was taking herself out to dinner..... WHATEVER. Next thing I know I look in the parking lot and our car (1978 Plymouth Sapporo) is GONE! I call the cops and report it stolen! Too bad they didn't catch her before I got home and found her and the car!

I stand corrected on the s-type 3.0!

I agree they did some major updates after '01, and for the better, that's for sure. But that R&D would have already been on the books by late '01 / early '02 for the Gen II. After that it just appeared from the outside at least, that they were stringing it out. By moving Lincoln back under the US umbrella it also lost all the technical support from the PAG.

I also have always questioned why so many '00 LS's ended up in the Hertz fleet. It just murdered resale when they all hit the market in '01 (when I bought mine at a major discount vs. new). LS4ME, that may actually support your take on the dealer network, if they couldn't figure out a way to sell the motortrend car of the year and had to divert the cars into the rental fleets.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread BTW. I have always been fascinated by that particular period in Ford's history.

So after going to dealership, after dealership
I wasn't able to find me another LS... Until
I got a hold of my local Lincoln dealership.
Come to find out they have a pearl white '06.
So I went to look at it and it was in the back
Lot due to someone trading it in. It was such a
Beautiful car under all of the tree mold, months
Of dirt packed on it.

Nonetheless, as I'm wheeling and dealing with the
Salesman and about 45 mins of my time. We go
Back to his office and comes to find out the the
Car has already been sold. Now let me ask this:
How the hell do you not know what you're doing?
And this is the same company I went too, to get
The hydraulic fan fluid for my '00 LS and they didn't
Know what I was talking about... Ignorant ppl at the
Dealerships.

But I'm still on the look out for one.

Members online

No members online now.
Back