New LS Owner, few minor issues

ls_turbo

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey all.. I'm the new owner of a 2004 LS V6, black on black. So far, I love the car!! But it has a few issues I'd like to take car of to make it perfect.

First problem I noticed is with the climate control. It's too cold. If I set it at 75º, it will blow cold air with the fan eventually ramping up blowing tons of cold air out making the car freezing cold. It will only blow hot air out when the climate control temp is set to 85º or 90º, at which point it seems to work just fine. Is this a DCCV problem? The symptoms seem to be reversed, so it's not really clear to me.

Second, the front passengers door lock actuator isn't working right. Can I replace just the actuator? Anyone have a part #?

Thanks!

Congrats, and welcome to the club!

On the climate control, it could still be the DCCV. The valves are normally open, and close when voltage is applied. The computer modulates the valves to get a moderate air temp. If the solenoids are completely blown, then the valves never close, so you always get heat. If they're just mucked up, then you can get odd behavior.
My next thought would be one or more of the air temp sensors misbehaving.

Did around the online manual for some diag trees that might help:
http://deneau.info/ls/

No idea on the actuator. You can call Max (ad at the right... "When you need parts Fast...") who is incredibly helpful. Might just need some exploratory surgery and lubrication.

Welcome to the site ls_turbo,
Congrats on your new purchase on the LS.
And it's good to see another ls6 lurkin' around
Here on this forum... :)
Maybe when it comes down to problems, we
Could help eachother out like the ls8's do.

Anyways, welcome and enjoy LvC
Where your in good company & and around
PPL that are very helpful.

Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome. So far I just love driving this car, and I wish I got one sooner!!

Thanks for the tip on the manual, oddball, I'll have to go through the diagnosis flow tomorrow. I guess I assumed it would be the DCCV based on the number of problems with this part, but most of those are for the Gen 1 LS not the Gen 2.

I haven't actually found many posts for the Gen 2 V6 models, I guess the V8 models are a lot more popular?? I actually got this car so I'd have something more fuel efficient than my truck to drive around, and the V6 does about double what my F-150 gets :p

Well, that online manual may not be much help. It's for the '06, which only came with a V8 - didn't register that you had a v6 when I made my post. Things like climate control were very similar, other than coolant fill/bleed procedures. Might be best to buy a shop manual set off of eBay or get access to an online service.
DCCV is still a problem in Gen 2, they're just now getting old enough to crop up more often. Think of Gen 1 as the beta testers. :)

Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome. So far I just love driving this car, and I wish I got one sooner!!

Thanks for the tip on the manual, oddball, I'll have to go through the diagnosis flow tomorrow. I guess I assumed it would be the DCCV based on the number of problems with this part, but most of those are for the Gen 1 LS not the Gen 2.

I haven't actually found many posts for the Gen 2 V6 models, I guess the V8 models are a lot more popular?? I actually got this car so I'd have something more fuel efficient than my truck to drive around, and the V6 does about double what my F-150 gets :p

There's all of 1 MPG difference between the V6 and the V8.
The gen II DCCV fails just as much as the gen I does, it's just that the gen II cars aren't as old as the gen I's are.
I don't think that your problem is the DCCV. I think that it's the In-Vehicle-Temperature-Sensor.

You can do a self diagnostic test on the DATC. It might not pick up the fault, but it's a good idea to try it anyway. Here's how.
http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6xc0003.htm~gen~ref.htm
Start at "Front Panel DATC Module Self-Test (On-Demand Diagnostic Trouble Codes — DTCs) "

There's all of 1 MPG difference between the V6 and the V8.

Seriously?? Damn... I'll have to keep an eye out for a V8 model. I got a good deal on this one, but someone already asked me when I'll want to upgrade to the V8 so they can buy this one from me :)

The gen II DCCV fails just as much as the gen I does, it's just that the gen II cars aren't as old as the gen I's are.
I don't think that your problem is the DCCV. I think that it's the In-Vehicle-Temperature-Sensor.

You can do a self diagnostic test on the DATC. It might not pick up the fault, but it's a good idea to try it anyway. Here's how.
http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6xc0003.htm~gen~ref.htm
Start at "Front Panel DATC Module Self-Test (On-Demand Diagnostic Trouble Codes — DTCs) "

Oh, that kinda sucks. Are the aftermarket DCCVs any more robust?

I ran the diagnostic test, but it didn't find anything wrong. The heat seemed to come on normally today, but the outside temp was 48º this evening. It only seems to have a problem when the inside temp of the car is lower than, but near the set point... It cranks up the fans as if it is expecting heat to come out, but only cold air comes until the temp is set high enough...

I'd assume there are separate sensors for driver/passenger? I'll have to go through more of the docs there and troubleshoot...

Hopefully the door lock actuator is easier :D

Seriously?? Damn... I'll have to keep an eye out for a V8 model. I got a good deal on this one, but someone already asked me when I'll want to upgrade to the V8 so they can buy this one from me :)

I have a V6 and V8 and the mileage difference is anywhere between 1 and 2 mpg. The V6 has a lot of weight to get and keep moving.

Oh, that kinda sucks. Are the aftermarket DCCVs any more robust?

I ran the diagnostic test, but it didn't find anything wrong. The heat seemed to come on normally today, but the outside temp was 48º this evening. It only seems to have a problem when the inside temp of the car is lower than, but near the set point... It cranks up the fans as if it is expecting heat to come out, but only cold air comes until the temp is set high enough...

I'd assume there are separate sensors for driver/passenger? I'll have to go through more of the docs there and troubleshoot...

Hopefully the door lock actuator is easier :D

There are three interior (and one exterior) temperature sensors.
One is overall interior temperature, the other two are the outlet temperatures for the driver side and passenger side.
It's easy to troubleshoot with a scan tool that gives realtime sensor readings, but somewhat difficult otherwise.

cant help with the problems but welcome.... Im listening to Preston and Steve right now! :Beer

2004 LS V6 here, climate control symptoms are exactly the same. Hope we find the answer. Seems like global warming,er climate change, is going to make it colder than a huskey's nuts in a snow drift this winter. Hope I get it fixed by then.

Hey Nick, I guess misery loves company I guess hahah :p

joegr, I have a normal OBDII DTC reader tool, is that the "scan tool" you're talking about, or is something more specific needed to see the codes from the DATC? With all the fancy electronics, I'm surprised they didn't build the reader right into the DATC?!

I decided to move on to the lock actuator for now since I wasn't getting anywhere with the DATC. I got the module out, but it doesn't seem to come apart. It has 2 screws and some clips, but aside from breaking some of the clips I haven't made any progress getting it open. I'm afraid of damaging it too much and not being able to close my passenger door, so I'll probably try to find another module??

For future reference if anyone needs to replace the front passenger door lock actuator, the part numbers on the actual module read "197 0827" and "3W43 54203A28 CJ"

There are some threads on here about taking the latch assembly apart and fixing it, as well as some about replacing it. Max (ad to the right) can get you the correct part number and part.

The DATC will read out all DTC associated with it, but it won't give live sensor readings. Neither will generic OBD-II readers. You need something Ford specific like this.

Total Ford ScanTool Bundle
#SP03 - Includes:
• USB ScanTool (ST06)
• Enhanced Ford Expansion

http://www.autoenginuity.com/order.html

Members online

No members online now.
Back