Getting a new key cut...

AndyT

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey! So, today, I went down the road from my dealership, to the area Ford dealership. I had them cut a key for the Mark. The guy at the parts counter asked me if it had PATS which I told him it did, he put the blank back and grabbed a different one, cut it, charged me $31, and I left. I went back to work, and looked up program info on AllData. I'm just adding a spare key, so it said put a programmed key in, turn to on, wait for the Anti-Theft light to stop flashing, take that key out, and put the new key in, turn to On, and the Anti-Theft light should turn on solid for 3 seconds, then shut off. Well, instead it started blinking pretty fast. So, I guess this means its not a programmable key? Or its already reached its limit for programmed keys? Should I just drop it off, and have them clear them all out, and reprogram my 2 keys?

to program them yourself you have to have 2 keys to program the 3rd.

If you only have 1 key and need a second key programed it must be done with the ford computer at the dealer.

If you have done it with one key you probably have an issue with your anti theft.

I know this is gonna be a stupid question, but...:shifty:...that's only an issue with the Gen 2 keys, right?

I didn't have to...

to program them yourself you have to have 2 keys to program the 3rd.

If you only have 1 key and need a second key programed it must be done with the ford computer at the dealer.

If you have done it with one key you probably have an issue with your anti theft.

When I bought my '98, I only received 1 key. I had a second one cut by a local dealer and programmed it myself in the parking lot.

The owner's manual procedure, which doesn't say anything about needing 2 keys, worked as it is written:

Your vehicle is equipped with a coded-key anti-theft system. Only the
correct key will be able to start your vehicle. If your keys are lost or
stolen, you must take your vehicle to a Ford/Lincoln-Mercury dealership
for re-programming.

Programming additional keys

If you need additional keys electronically coded for your vehicle, spares
can be purchased (a maximum of 16 keys can be programmed). To
program a new key, perform the following procedure:

1. With the coded key in the ignition, turn the ignition from ON to OFF.

2. Within 15 seconds of turning ignition off, insert the new coded key
into the ignition and turn it from OFF to ON or START. If successful, the
THEFT indicator light will illuminate for two seconds. Repeat procedure
for all new keys.

If key coding fails, the THEFT indicator light will flash.

Coding failure can be caused by any of the following:

- The new key was not inserted into the ignition within 15 seconds.
- 16 keys have already been programmed.
- The new key does not have an electronic code.

Andy,

It sounds like you didn't get the correct blank. Does it look like the one in the attached picture?

You can get one on eBay HERE.

MarkVIIIPatsKey.jpg

It does look like that one, but instead of having M8 stamped on it, I think it says something like SF1.

my keys just have an s stamped on it...both the one that works, and the one that doesn't..they are both lincoln keys shaped differently, but one doesn't program...strange...what does the "s" code mean?

my keys just have an s stamped on it...both the one that works, and the one that doesn't..they are both lincoln keys shaped differently, but one doesn't program...strange...what does the "s" code mean?

The "S" is the particular key blank used.

Now that I think about it, my current key has an S stamped on it. So an S or M8 is what I need?

AFAIK the aftermarket STRATTEC "M8" key is the one that you need. It's the one that I have. I don't know about the markings on the original Lincoln key blanks. My original Lincoln key also has an "S" stamped on it.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I even have an original key. I have an oval headed Strattec key with an S stamped on it. Ohhhh the confusion....

Maybe....

This seems to be a losing battle. Saturday I went to a car show at Tasca Ford Lincoln Mercury Mazda Volvo (lol) and while I was there, I asked them to program the key. The tech came and got me and told me there was no way this was even the correct key for the vehicle (which we already knew). Their parts department was closed at the time, so they couldn't get me the correct key. I don't really want to deal with Ford of Greenfield, which sold me this key in the first place, because they are a bunch of :q:q:q:q:q:q:qs. So, I'll be going back there in a few days to see if I can get my money back for this key they gave me. I have an appointment Saturday morning at another Ford dealership to see if they can get me the correct key, and program it. I never thought it would be such an issue to get another damn key!

So, after talking to Marcotte Ford, the guy in their parts department says they have the Strattec blank with the oval shaped head, with just the S stamped on it with a price of $25.19. So, in that case, Ford of Greenfield screwed my on the price of this useless key too! Bastards.... I have an appointment Saturday morning at 9 to get this all squared away.... hopefully!

So, when going back to Ford of Greenfield to return the key, they realized they gave me the incorrect key. They gave me another one, still shaped like the one in the picture above, but with an S stamped on it, like the key I currently have. I have an appointment Saturday morning at Marcotte to attempt to program it....

Another reason to have a First Gen.

Cause of a key? Id rather spend a little more and know that my car is 10 times harder to steal vs a non pats car. Let's face it though, who would want to steal a g1 in the first place?:p

Members online

No members online now.
Back