Trans Neutral? Wtf??

Travis2000LS

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So today when I was driving to school I went to speed up and pass someone, so my car drops down a gear or so to speed up and then when about time it gets ready to shift back up to 4th or 5th it goes into neutral like its confused.. like which gear to go into?.. or it cannot find the gear..
So I was like oh hell wtf.. just had my torque converter replaced about 4k miles ago.. Might take it back to the shop and see if they can do anything about it seeing this might be the problem..
not only did it do it then but Also Stopped for a light and went green hit the gas to accellerate and of course.. it is in D5 but doesnt shift. just in Neutral. to get it to move I had to put it in SST..

Its like the SST Works flawlessly I can tell so far but as for D5 it doesnt want to find gears!?!? Help!?

Found a forum that is almost Identical to mine but no answer was found..
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=27466

Thanks!

Also noticed while stopped like in a drive thru a HIGH Pritched like Whining noise sounding like comming from the transmission. Almost like little plastic gears spinning really fast grinding on something softly.. Kenny's Automotvie is about to have hell to pay if they dont fix it if its something THEY messed up

So today when I was driving to school I went to speed up and pass someone, so my car drops down a gear or so to speed up and then when about time it gets ready to shift back up to 4th or 5th it goes into neutral like its confused.. like which gear to go into?.. or it cannot find the gear..
So I was like oh hell wtf.. !

If you let up on the gas a bit right after the downshift...it's not uncommon for what you described to happen. (Generally speaking the LS transmission seems to be programmed with a bias towards fuel economy vs pure performance.)

If you kept your foot to the floor the entire time..then I'd say it's not common/not normal.

Yeah well its at my dads shop Elliott Brothers Auto Collision.. I got it to go to the shop after school.. after I turned it off and turned it back on to let my dad move it into the parking spot it wouldnt move.. So We had to push it..
Could it be low transmission fluid when I had the Torque Converter replaced? Or the whole transmission..

Yeah well its at my dads shop Elliott Brothers Auto Collision.. I got it to go to the shop after school.. after I turned it off and turned it back on to let my dad move it into the parking spot it wouldnt move.. So We had to push it..
Could it be low transmission fluid when I had the Torque Converter replaced? Or the whole transmission..

Yes, it could just be low fluid level, it could be failure of most of the transmission, or it could just be a few internal parts.

It's more likely to be either low fluid, minor internal parts, or the torque converter, than it is to be complete transmission failure.

Yes, it could just be low fluid level, it could be failure of most of the transmission, or it could just be a few internal parts.

It's more likely to be either low fluid, minor internal parts, or the torque converter, than it is to be complete transmission failure.

Well hopefully when they did my trans fluid thats all it is. that they didnt do it right and its low. I hope.. If not.. its craigslist for the Lincoln.. and who knows.. Once its fixed.. it might just go on CL anyways..

SO As for now.. Anyone interested in a 2000 lincoln ls v8 sport with transmission problems..

Dont give up so fast could be something minor, cars beak and you fix them.

even my 2006 tranny gets confused at times....its just the way it is unfortunately.

No like it Litterally WONT Move now.. You have to put it in 2nd in SST And FLOOR it to get it to move and roll..

Could be the torque converter again wich should still be under warranty...

I was told today tranny is shot.. Sorry guys to say.. I wont be apart of the LVC Community much longer.. Replacing the Tranny then selling it.. :,/

I was told today tranny is shot.. Sorry guys to say.. I wont be apart of the LVC Community much longer.. Replacing the Tranny then selling it.. :,/

You didn't take it to one of those chain transmission shops like AAMCO did you?
(AAMCO = All Automatics Must Come Out)

No. My uncle. He is certified mechanic. Has been doing mechanic work since he was 18. It runs in my family.. Grand dad use to own a Towing business with Mechanic shop and Body shop. My Dad worked in the body shop my uncle in the mechanics. Took the car to Elliott Brothers Auto Collision where my Uncle is doing a Engine swap for a 66 Corvette with a LS2 GTO Engine and my Dad works as a Body man.. Had my uncle look at it and what not.. and thats what he told me.. Found a Tranny for 560$ Shop cost because well I use to work at Elliott Brothers and whatnot. Hopefully tomorrow My dads buddy at McClains auto salvage will tell us if the LS he has is the right one to do a Tranny swap and possibly get it for cheaper.. So all and all.. Getting a used tranny and Probabley trading my friend for his 99' Miata..

Cars break down... Fix it and enjoy the car.

Any other car you get can break down and maybe even worse.

You didn't take it to one of those chain transmission shops like AAMCO did you?
(AAMCO = All Automatics Must Come Out)

:lol:That's funny Joe!

Sorry about the tranny! I've had issues like that in other cars and it sucks!

Members online

No members online now.
Back