I'm trying to get my 1987 Lincoln Town car have power.

MrKingTubby

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I raced a Cadillac a few nights ago and it turns out the driver of this Cadillac works at my local Autozone. He said he had a 350 in car. I asked around and found out that I would need a 351 W for my car as a 350 is for Chevy. I was told that a 351 W would connect to everything already in my car.
A friend of mine in an Eclipse who will soon put a performance chip in soon. I've been able to beat him in a long race but he has better acceleration, plus the chip would bring him up to 290 HP so I probably wouldn't be able to beat him anymore.
What should I do to the new engine?
And how much does it cost? I know it's not cheap, but I'd like an estimate to prepare myself.
I'm in the Houston, Texas area

I'm sorry if something like this is already posted, I could not find something for my year.

You have a 5.0 right? If I'm correct, there should be a ton of aftermarket performance parts for that engine, no reason you can't just beef up the current one.

Put gears in it first, put some 4.10 and you beat that caddy. A stock windsor won't have any more hp than you have now just a lot more torque and a lot of hassle. but to upgrade your heads and cam your computer will have to swapped over to mass air off of a 89-93 mustang.

You have a 5.0 right? If I'm correct, there should be a ton of aftermarket performance parts for that engine, no reason you can't just beef up the current one.

Is there a site online that I can order those parts?
I'm willing to drop a lot of money, and I want some high quality name brand stuff.:D

Put gears in it first, put some 4.10 and you beat that caddy. A stock windsor won't have any more hp than you have now just a lot more torque and a lot of hassle. but to upgrade your heads and cam your computer will have to swapped over to mass air off of a 89-93 mustang.

What are gears? Where can I get them?
What's a 4.10? Where can I get that?
And where can I upgrade and install heads?
And what does it mean to cam my computer?
Where can I do that?

You should do your research before going out to a shop and drop a lot of money in your car, lest they bend you over the hood and rape you on the work. Research rear end ratio to understand what 4.10 is (4.10:1). Research header options, look at what the mustang guys have done to their cars to get an idea of what you can do to yours, the engine was used up until 1996 in them. Maybe look into supercharging or turbocharging if you really don't mind dropping a lot of money into the car. Keep in mind if the car is worth the money you will be sinking in it though.

I don't know if I'm looking at the right headers?
I went down to the 79-93 mustang section, but I don't know if that'll fit in my car.
As for the rear end ratio, is it the same for every car?
Say I have the Lincoln, would any other Lincoln of the same year(1987, Cartier) have the same ratio?

There is no replacement for displacement

If you own a 87 Town Car and looking to beef it up and get more power out of it and money is not an option. Shoot man, drop a bigger engine it like a 460. You can find one in a F250 I think and you can beef that up to well behond what a 5.0 (302) or a 351W engine. You could get well over 500 and if you build it right closer to 700 HP. Talk about blowing doors one the guy from Autozone, he wont know what hit him. :cool:

I think we are missing the bigger issue. The OP is not familiar with what "gears" are. or a "Chip" . We'll need to start from the beginning as, it is my impression, that the OP is fairly new to the car scene. Advising him on an engine swap, turbo charging etc...may be beyong his knowlegde to make a sound decision.

Sure, if he's got cash to throw away let's all give him the most expensive option and let the chips fall where they may - but honestly..I think the best advice he could get, right now, is take some time...get a subsciption to Hot Rod Magazine and a few others and learn something about cars and engines/drive trains, in general.

I think we are missing the bigger issue. The OP is not familiar with what "gears" are. or a "Chip" . We'll need to start from the beginning as, it is my impression, that the OP is fairly new to the car scene. Advising him on an engine swap, turbo charging etc...may be beyong his knowlegde to make a sound decision.

Sure, if he's got cash to throw away let's all give him the most expensive option and let the chips fall where they may - but honestly..I think the best advice he could get, right now, is take some time...get a subsciption to Hot Rod Magazine and a few others and learn something about cars and engines/drive trains, in general.
You waited 3½ years to make this your first post? :shifty:

I know what a chip is, an intake. I have very basic knowledge, but I'm not completely lost.
When I say basic I mean VERY BASIC.

ok ppl can chill out,for perfromanc ein a heavy lincoln, now thats an area i specialize in.
MR king you have a pm

Members online

Back