2003 Lincoln LS Premium Sport V8 thoughts

bigntall1

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I wanted to get some current owner thoughts on a LS V8 I'm considering getting. It's a 2003 with 3.9L V8 that has 108k miles. It's a private seller who wants $5000 for it. I don't know all of the options yet. I know it has a moon roof and leather but that's all I know. I've seen it in person but won't be able to test drive it until tomorrow. When I spoke with the owner he said that the ABS light comes on at times. He thinks it's the ABS sensor that's bad. Also I noticed that it needs rear tires. He acknowledged that too. He said that he bought it used and it hasn't been involved in any accidents since he's owned it. It has a few minor scratchs on the rear bumper and quarter panel but nothing to be concerned with for a almost 9 year old vehicle. I plan to look at it more tomorrow and drive it. What should I be concerned with on this model? I tried to attached a couple pictures but they are too large so here is a couple direct links that you might be able to see.
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/gharden2911/Other Vehicles/IMAG0516.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/gharden2911/Other Vehicles/IMAG0517.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/gharden2911/Other Vehicles/IMAG0519.jpg

Last edited:
as far as opinions, i love my 03, much more than my 00 i had before.

not sure why they put a sun roof deflector on it since it has one built in that pops up automatically.

pay very close attention when driving it for any misses, probably not a bad ideal to pull the coil covers off and make sure that there is no oil in the plug wells

Other then then the coils you can determain if you have bad ones by driving very aggressively or just get in a highway and punch it to you hit 75 and see if it jurks or hessitates or if the check engine light flashes if not then your good on coils for now they always go bad on the ls.
Second turn on the ac all the way ul and feel if cold air is coming out of both left and right side of the cabin then put it hot and then check again. If one side is cold and the other is hit then the dccv is bad or just need cleaning. Very easy fix so are the coils. Those are the major issues of the Gen 2 ls's.

Thanks guys. I'm glad you mentioned the coils. my co-worker just bought an 03' last week with 67k miles on it. She gave 9k for it and the next day the service engine light came on. she had the codes ran and found out one of the coils was bad. She was very discouraged until the mechanic she took it to said that it was a common problem with the Lincoln LS and F-150 trucks. It was an easy fix and he told her that she'll eventually have more that go bad. I plan to take it for a good test drive today and really inspect it good. I've been on autotrader and other sites comparing prices and I've yet to see one for under 8k with the same options and mileage. If I find that it's something I want I will see if he'll take a little less to compensate me for the tires I'll have to buy. By the way this car will eventually be for my son. He turns 16 next June.

If you have the VIN run it through the compnine decoder:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php?vin=1LNHM87A54Y678735
That'll tell you every factory option it had, and if it has the premium sport options.

Also, I'd think about doing a carfax, if you're serious about buying the car. It'll give you a better history than the standard "Its had no accidents that I know of."

As mentioned above, the coils are suspect and the transmission can be finicky at times.

Take your time, and do your research. Asking questions here is a great place to start!

From the pictures and description, it is at least a sport, and probably a premium sport.

In addition to the other concerns mentioned:

1. The plastic cooling system parts will all need to be replaced sooner or later.

2. Replacement parts (of most all types) are now getting harder and harder to find.

Be observant of how she shifts. If it's like mine it tends to shift its best at wot, however putsin' around town its hit and miss when it comes to shifting right (may jerk into gear park to d5, into reverse, 2-3rd i believe, not down shift to first in sst mode, slips into gear, shudders a bit when shifting).

From the pictures and description, it is at least a sport, and probably a premium sport.

In addition to the other concerns mentioned:

1. The plastic cooling system parts will all need to be replaced sooner or later.

2. Replacement parts (of most all types) are now getting harder and harder to find.

You are right it is not the premium sport just the sport. I drove it this evening. It drove could. Took it about 6 miles and hit the accelerator hard and not hesitation whatsoever. That was the good and now for the bad. I hate when people have a nice car and don't know how to care for it. For starters the owner is a smoker. He says he bought the car a month ago from someone else because he wasn't able to find a z28 at the time he got it. Welll now there's a z28 that he wants to buy and wants to get the 5k back that he paid for the LS. It didn't smell like smoke but the ash tray had ashes in it. The overhead console was loose and slightly hanging. The ABS light which he told me about was on but another light that looked like a tire was on also. He said it was the traction control light. The leather was good but the rear of the drivers seat plastic was being held on by two screws. The front windsheild was cracked and the rear tires are worn. Now for the engine. popped the hood and didn't see any smoke or oil but the Lincoln motor is covered nicely. Then I noticed that the cover was loose and found out the wing nuts weren't on and the cover just came right off when I lifted on it. Also noticed that the valve covers had two bolts missing on each side. This tells me that work was done. I wouldn't have mind if work was done but the nuts and bolts being missing tells me that a shade tree mechanic has been working on it. A respectible shop wouldn't have left the items off. After that it still may be worth the 5k he wants. I forgot to get the vin number but I'll call him tomorrow and get it then run a carfax on it. Being that it needs tires and a windshield I may offer 4k. Doubt if he takes it but might meet me in the middle at 4500 that is if the carfax comes back clean.

I thought I replied last night but I see my post isn't here. Anyway i drove the car yesterday evening. The car wasn't kept up that well. It runs well and I didn't feel any hard shift or spudder on acceleration. The windshield was cracked and the brakes are close to needing to be replaced. I already mentioned that it needs a new set of tires. Well at least the two rear ones. The engine compartment was clean and free from smoke but the wing nuts or whatever holds the cover on was missing. I lifted the cover and it came right off. Two bolts that hold the valve covers on were missing on each side. Also the cover that covers the radiator and fan had the several of the plugs that hold it on missing. This tells me that someone had been doing work on the motor and they were probably shade tree mechanics. A real shop wouldn't have left these things off. The ashtray had ashes in it so the owner smokes in it. The overhead console was loose and the ABS and traction lights were light up on the dash. However no Service Engine light or anything else. I forgot to get the Vin number but I just called him and got his voicemail. When I get it I'll run it through carvax and see what shows. It isn't a Premium but just a Sport V8. Edmunds rates it as $4900 in Fair Condition and KBB rates it at $5600 in Fair condition.

These cars don't do to well when neglected, and this one sounds like it needs work. If you need brakes, tires and new front glass you're already out $1200-1500. I wouldn't gamble a penny more than $3500, even if it came back with a spotless carfax. Just my 2 cents though

Is it really missing valve cover bolts, or is it missing coil cover bolts? (The coil covers are the smaller covers over the valve covers. Many leave a few of the coil cover bolts out just because they are so hard to get to to remove and install. Unfortunately, coil replacement can be frequent, so it is hard to blame someone for this harmless shortcut.

The engine appearance cover is not held on by wingnuts. Instead some fake plastic screws are used. These will pull off without unscrewing.

The seat back coming off is a common issue and he probably decided two screws were cheaper than a $100 seat back.

the issues you mentions are not big deals i also have 2 screws missing on the covers cuz the coils needs to be replaced very often now i just replace all of them at the same time, and the plastic screws for the cover they break after a while cuz they get very hard and when you remove it the inside gets stripped and dont want to stay on the cover any more so i removed them this does not affect the engine cover. now tires should not be a breaking point or barganing point cuz that is standard maintance, so is oil changes, brakes and adding coolant. my thing is if the warrenty does not cover it at any time then its a maintance item and if he has to spend more money on it then it will be worth the 8k that edmonds and kelly bb are asking for. now how bad is it cracked is it a small crack that insurance usually sends some one over for FREE to fix or does it needs to be replaced. the back seat is a normal issue with the LS and 2 screws are cheaper than the hooks that cost 100$ and they do the same job.

Thanks guys. I actually went back for a second look. You're probably right about the coil covers. The bolts/screws are very small and two were missing on each side. I actually took a picture of the motor to show you what I was referring to but it's on my cell. I'll try to add it to the post later. The window has a nice crack all the way across the bottom and another small crack up the driver side in the corner but neither will prevent one from gettign an inspection sticker. The brakes weren't as bad as I initially thought but the rear tires are. On my second look I found the car is in pretty good condition minus the things I mentioned. But he won't budge from the 5k asking price. I got the carfax and no wrecks or major issues. It did have the tranny replaced at 24k miles at a dealer. It was originally purchased by a rental car company in Texas. I won't to leave it alone because I don't won't expensive maintenance in the future. The owner says he runs regular unleaded. 87 octane but I thought these cars had to have Premium quality. He said he does use synthetic oil. If he would take $4500 I would get it. I know it's only $500 more dollars but I need to buy two tires and I would like to get the windshield replaced. That will cost me more than $500. It's going to be for my son and I'm thinking maybe I should wait and try to find a good deal on a similiar year model Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. He's upset with me now because he's falling in love with the LS and I told him that we'll probably pass on it. One more thing. What other tire size can be run on this model? Does it have to run 235/50/17s? I've searched and that size isn't that cheap.

...Does it have to run 235/50/17s? I've searched and that size isn't that cheap.

Mostly, unless you change the rims too (that will cost you more, not less.) [I've heard there's a 245 size that can fit, but it won't be any cheaper.] And yes, good tires for the LS are expensive. $500 for two is about right if you get the good ones.

Ex rental car? Now you know she was whipped to the point of having a busted tranny in her formative years. That for me would be a dealbreaker. Good luck with your search.

Ex rental car? Now you know she was whipped to the point of having a busted tranny in her formative years. That for me would be a dealbreaker. Good luck with your search.

I've bought three or four ex-rental cars. I never had any more trouble from any of them compared to the new cars that I bought.

The owner says he runs regular unleaded. 87 octane but I thought these cars had to have Premium quality. He said he does use synthetic oil..............................................What other tire size can be run on this model? Does it have to run 235/50/17s? I've searched and that size isn't that cheap.

If he cheaped out on the gas, what else did he cheap-out on? I would be suspect of the knock sensor as it had to work overtime keeping up with the cheap gas.

245/45/17 will also work.

Mostly, unless you change the rims too (that will cost you more, not less.) [I've heard there's a 245 size that can fit, but it won't be any cheaper.] And yes, good tires for the LS are expensive. $500 for two is about right if you get the good ones.

I just put 4 235/55/17 Michelin on mine because they were less $$$. They fit Cadillac CTS so they are more common. They had the advantage of correcting my overly optimistic speedometer.

Get used tires for the rears also how old is your son and ask him if he wants to put aftermarket rims and tires on it, if he does then you just answered the tire issues. You can get used tires fir this car for around $35 each that way the next time when you have more money you can replace all 4 tires. Also you can get all 4 tires falken tires for around 600 new and this is what you do. Go online and look for falken tires and print it out then Go to sears and they carry the falken tires and they will match the price plus beat it by 10%. But that's only a option if your son won't be getting aftermarket in that case just get some used ones until he gets them. And its not a bad price for 5 grand.

Get used tires for the rears also how old is your son and ask him if he wants to put aftermarket rims and tires on it, if he does then you just answered the tire issues. You can get used tires fir this car for around $35 each that way the next time when you have more money you can replace all 4 tires. Also you can get all 4 tires falken tires for around 600 new and this is what you do. Go online and look for falken tires and print it out then Go to sears and they carry the falken tires and they will match the price plus beat it by 10%. But that's only a option if your son won't be getting aftermarket in that case just get some used ones until he gets them. And its not a bad price for 5 grand.

No he won't be getting aftermarket wheels. Main reason is HE can't afford them. If I buy it I'll probably buy a new set. There are some good tire dealers here and I'm sure I can get a good deal on a set. Personally I don't like Falkens well at least not the two sets I've had on my 04' Avalanche. They were 305/40/22 and I wasn't pleased at all. Thought I got a bad set the first time since I ordered them online but bought a second set from a local tire dealer when I needed tires and I was dissappointed in them too.

Sears will not beat online auction websites because they do not install them.

These are good prices on falcons although you might spend 60 bucks to install them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-NE...atio:50|Rim%20Diameter:17&hash=item2c5afbc3f1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-NE...atio:50|Rim%20Diameter:17&hash=item4cf993281a

I have the 512s on my LS and have had no problems for about 3000 miles.

you are correct they dont match online auction but they do match online retail stores like tirerack and discount tires.com

Well I took my son to football practice today and noticed the LS I was looking at was back at the corner store. On the way back through I stopped for a drink and decided to look to see if the price had dropped any. It hadn't dropped but I did notice one thing that was keeping me from buying it. The owner put a new set of tires on it. They were Goodyear brand but I didn't notice which ones. But they were 4 if not new, almost new tires. It may not stay there long now.

Members online

No members online now.
Back