cams

the1andonlyGR81

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
anyone know the stock cam profile for 98 lsc? heard they were the same as cobra but cobra has longer intake duration? anyways what are they and how much lift can u use before clearance becomes an issue? oh yea, dont the 98 lsc have trac loc? i leave 2 marks on dirt roads.with my handicapped controls cant brakestand on pavement. Geno?

The exh cams are the same. The intake cams from cobra have alot more duration.I think 10 degrees more from 196 to 206 degrees. And NO, no mk8's came with posi STOCK. My mk8 had hand controls in it at one time also.

thanks, i am pretty sure the previous owner who was the origonal,and pretty old ,left the car stock. someone told me even open diffs can spin both tires if theres no resistance, but once traction is applied only one will spin.anyways you have 4.10, iwas contemplating 3.73, or 4.10,what is your highway cruising rpms at 70 or 80? and what tires are you running?

someone told me even open diffs can spin both tires if theres no resistance, but once traction is applied only one will spin.

true more or less. i have spun both on occasion with my open 3.08s.

anyways you have 4.10, iwas contemplating 3.73, or 4.10,what is your highway cruising rpms at 70 or 80? and what tires are you running?

235/60-16 kumho ecsta asx (kinda heavy but ok overall) on stock 10 spokes. 4.10s and trac lok. speedo accurate to roughly 1 mph at 60. 70 mph is roughly 2500 rpm.

A Posi is a G.M. term and I guarantee you don't have one;) Could you have a Traction-Lok? Maybe.

96-98 Cam Specs:
Intake: Primary Lobe 196 duration (at .050)/ 390 lift
Secondary Lobe 206 duration (at .050)/ 390 lift
Exhaust: 196 duration / 390 lift (at .050)
114° LCs

99/01 Cam Specs:
Intake: 194 duration (at .050) / 392 lift
Exhaust: 194 duration (at .050)/ 390 lift
114° LCs

Mach 1, 03/04 Cobra, Aviator, Marauder.
Intake: 184 deg @ .050"/0.394" lift
Exhaust: 196 deg @ .050 / .394" lift
114° LCs

FR500 Cams
lift, .472 “ [12mm] both intake and exhaust
intake duration adv 258, 212@.050
exhaust duration adv 254, 208@.050
109° LCs

2000 Cobra R:
intake: 212 dur@.050/.510
exhaust: 212 dur@.050 /.474

From SVT - 2001
Intake Exhaust
Duration 256 250
Valve Open 6 BTDC 54 BBDC
Valve Close 70 ABDC 16 ATDC

i put general 255 55 16 on mine,.35" taller but 1.85" wider. listen iknow theyre light truck tires but they look great have good tread pattern and were listed as performance tires. they ride smooth on my 10 spoke. i guess ill go with 4.10 if youre at 2500 at 70

bookmark away! another sunny hot day in fort lauderdale, going out to do some donuts in the parking lot and clean up my baby. love my lsc. thanks for all the help going to get 4.10 ordering now then cleaning my wheelchair.

hey someone mentioned something about changing the driveshaft or some kind of bushing when changing the gears due to the higher rpms anyone know something about that? it would seem everything should be fine, you change all the bearings and seals anyways because you have to.

hey someone mentioned something about changing the driveshaft or some kind of bushing when changing the gears due to the higher rpms anyone know something about that? it would seem everything should be fine, you change all the bearings and seals anyways because you have to.

You need to change the gear on the vss.

yep. you sure do. 4.10s need the black gear from mustangs unlimited.
http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=DFM17271J+01

some people experience vibrations at high speed due to the cheaper build design of the later driveshafts. they are made in 2 pieces.
so many people install a 93 driveshaft that is all one piece and seems to be resistant to these vibrations.

OK I read this 100 times so here goes. The Gen2 cars don't need the 23 tooth VSS gear because it pulls VSS from the front wheel speed sensor. The Gen1's like mine need a 23 tooth gear, Gen 1's use the trans VSS. My speedo reads 3 mph faster with 4.10's. I like that abit cause it keeps me below cop level.

OK I read this 100 times so here goes. The Gen2 cars don't need the 23 tooth VSS gear because it pulls VSS from the front wheel speed sensor. The Gen1's like mine need a 23 tooth gear, Gen 1's use the trans VSS. My speedo reads 3 mph faster with 4.10's. I like that abit cause it keeps me below cop level.

I hate to bust your bubble on this one but Gen2 cars do NOT use the wheel speed sensors to get speed data. The VSS signal goes to the ABS/TC control module. The module then converts the variable AC frequency/voltage signal of the VSS to a pulsed DC signal and then distributes that signal to the data bus. If you don't believe me, jack up the ass end of a Gen2, start it up and put it in drive and let it idle.

I hate to bust your bubble on this one but Gen2 cars do NOT use the wheel speed sensors to get speed data. The VSS signal goes to the ABS/TC control module. The module then converts the variable AC frequency/voltage signal of the VSS to a pulsed DC signal and then distributes that signal to the data bus. If you don't believe me, jack up the ass end of a Gen2, start it up and put it in drive and let it idle.

Not bursting my bubble one bit. I keep reading what I posted. I will double check it out. Thanks

Ok found the post, here is input by LaserSVT.

"Second gens dont get the signal from the VSS. Thats only for the suspension lowering point, speed limiter and trans shif points.

The speedo is from the ABS sensors."

Then later in post Jamie with a 97 mentions changing his VSS gear. Hmm. Confusing. Will make a thread on this to make sure.

Ok found the post, here is input by LaserSVT.

"Second gens dont get the signal from the VSS. Thats only for the suspension lowering point, speed limiter and trans shif points.

The speedo is from the ABS sensors."

Then later in post Jamie with a 97 mentions changing his VSS gear. Hmm. Confusing. Will make a thread on this to make sure.

right. so he does need to change the vss gear.
jamie had to in his black car cuz it shifted weird before he did.

speedo gear isnt for speed in gen 2s.

so what is it then? am i gonna have to change a gear? whats vss? ive got a sniper delta force programmer and it asks info for tire size and gear ratio anyways.listen,since ive got alot of attention here, i have another post about my taillights not coming on. i have no side markers, front or back, no taillights, no license light, the headlights come on, high beam works, directionals, hazards, brakelights, WTF?i think chris 2523 has been talking with me on this also, im so confused

geat change

The VSS is located on the top of the transmission. It's held in place with one bolt. Pull it out change the gear on it and reinstall 20 minute job. I installed 373s in mine and used the purple gear for it. Ihe speedometer never varied. When I installed the 6060 transmission. It useses a completely different VSS. The pulses are faster . The speedometer was still on the money. The lowering feature, was way off. no cruise control above 15MPH. I had to put a Speed controller in it to correct the pulses from the VSS. The speedometer was never off however. Mine is a 98.

so what is it then? am i gonna have to change a gear? whats vss?

The VSS is located on the top of the transmission. It's held in place with one bolt. Pull it out change the gear on it and reinstall 20 minute job. I installed 373s in mine and used the purple gear for it. Ihe speedometer never varied. When I installed the 6060 transmission. It useses a completely different VSS. The pulses are faster . The speedometer was still on the money. The lowering feature, was way off. no cruise control above 15MPH. I had to put a Speed controller in it to correct the pulses from the VSS. The speedometer was never off however. Mine is a 98.

you need to change it so the air ride lowers at the correct speeds. the vss gives a signal to things that are not the speedometer.

Sorry, but that's not correct. In a Gen 2 there is no connection between the VSS and the Multiplex Communication Network that feeds the speedometer. There also isn't a connection to the Anti-Lock Brake Control Module.

The rear ABS sensors supply the speedometer data, which you can see when the car is on a dyno.

I have a Gen 2 with 4.10's, the stock VSS gear, and a correct speedo reading. The slight error that I have is caused by my tires which are slightly smaller in diameter than stock.

You can change the VSS gear all that you want, but it will not have any effect on the speedometer.

I have accounted for the gear change in my tune, which is the preferred method in a Gen 2. It can also be done by changing the VSS gear, but the larger gears don't last very long.

VSS.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back