Broken Traction Cotrol Switch

Eurythmian

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I don't know how this happened but I got in my car yesterday and noticed the traction control button had fallen down inside the console. I took the area apart and found the screws which hold the switch up in place had snapped the plastic... So I need a replacement part for a '05 Center Console/Drink Holder/Emerg Brake/Trac Control piece and new Traction Control switch.

They are no longer available thru FORD.
None on eBay.

Help!

I super glued it together for now... but the switch doesn't work at all for some odd reason.

Last edited:
Did some of the glue run inside of the switch? If it did, it may have insulated the contacts.

I wonder if I got one of the last of those assemblies from Ford...

More importantly, I wonder if I should take the one in my 06 out now and reinforce it somehow before it breaks?

I was careful with the glue - only putting it on the ends which hold the screws. It looks fine from the top and it lights up when the headlights are on - but when pressed it no longer lights up yellow like originally.

Does anyone out there have a switch or this console center piece they are willing to sell?:(

Mine did the same thing, I just occasionally browse ebay and CL for the replacement but in the mean time, I just pull the connection wire through the hole where the TC button was, put the cupholder back down and connect the button above the hole so I can still turn it off and on. Looks kinda crappy, but works

whatever broke the screws off probably broke the switch. should be able to test the switch with a DMM and check the ohms ( somebody smarter than me can chime in on that one). worst case you by a new traction switch and glue that one in to the console.

I am OCD when something happens to my car. It's all I focus on... it has to be fixed the right way and it has to look perfect. I want to buy a replacement if possible.

I needs meds. , ,:shifty:

its funny cuz this jus happen to mine a week ago and i glued it back on cuz i didnt think i would find another part and it works fine i think u prolly got some glue on the switch

Slow afternoon at the dealership..I used the parts locator and found a few Gen 2 center consoles for you in the Arlington area.

A1 Sales ($60) 410 939 3800
P&D Automotive (3 of them-$75) 1800 292 3428
King George Auto Parts ($100) 1800 847 4547
M&J Auto($125) 1877 741 8276
M&M ($150) 1800 586 5492
Double T Automotive ($200) 1888 592 8233

mine broke a couple of months after the message center buttons did the exact same thing, used epoxy to fix both.

seems to me that someone from Lincoln thought that all those buttons every where were for looking at and not pushing!

honstly i did mine with electcial tape and glue not epoxy lol like super glue. and well its last for about 7 months now. i mean i wouldnt like push hard as possible lol but it work lol. just gotta look at it and see where to glue and tape i used tape as a pull it closer to top.

The same happened to me. I got the cup holder section from the dealer for $80 and the problem was solved.

i'm really not, i'm just pressing it a lot. i just dont think that the designers ever expected this button to get used all that much, after a few years the plastic gets very brittle and just crumbles, i could see it being me pressing too hard if it just had snapped the plastic a little, but it is completely disintegrating.

i'm really not, i'm just pressing it a lot. i just dont think that the designers ever expected this button to get used all that much, after a few years the plastic gets very brittle and just crumbles, i could see it being me pressing too hard if it just had snapped the plastic a little, but it is completely disintegrating.

Roger........

it might be a little excessive, but i do press that button at least five or six times a day, i guess i should have just got a car that didn't have a nanny like a viper :rolleyes: ROFL

I got a little scared reading this thinking mine was going to go out soon as well... but i only press mine maybe once a week max (not 5 times daily) so I think ill be fine for awhile.

I got a little scared reading this thinking mine was going to go out soon as well... but i only press mine maybe once a week max (not 5 times daily) so I think ill be fine for awhile. :D

I got a little scared reading this thinking mine was going to go out soon as well... but i only press mine maybe once a week max (not 5 times daily) so I think ill be fine for awhile. :D

We never press the AdvanceTrac switch in either of our LSes. Even so, the one on the 04 fell in and I had to replace the assembly.

We never press the AdvanceTrac switch in either of our LSes. Even so, the one on the 04 fell in and I had to replace the assembly.

Do you guys garage your cars? Our 2000 has the original switch and I upgraded the console top in 2001. No crusty plastic here.....

Do you guys garage your cars? Our 2000 has the original switch and I upgraded the console top in 2001. No crusty plastic here.....

Yes, but only when they're home. Our cars also spend a lot of time out in the hot sun in parking lots during the day. I do suspect that's what's killing the plastics.

my car stays in the garage i hardly ever drive her i think i only put 3k on this year fromlast October

Switch is broke into the console on mine also. I do use the switch alot in winter, need to spin the tires a little to get the car going in snow.

Is there a how-to on removing the console on a Gen II. I need to fix this switch, and yes I tried the search..

Is there a how-to on removing the console on a Gen II. I need to fix this switch, and yes I tried the search..

It's probably listed under radio or dash removal. In any case the cup holder section (which houses the switch) just pops out. It's held in with clips. Use a small flat-head screwdriver and be careful not to scratch or tear up things.

Members online

No members online now.
Back