HID light - replace just the Glass in the bulb?

sirkingchase

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a broke hid bulb. It was wrecked and the glass filament shattered. Is there anyway to just replace the glass filament bulb and not the whole hid module? I love these lights but they are really expensive. Is there any way to take out the remaining broken filament with a new one.

Its been done by a guy on here.
He put a new bulb on the old base
But I don't know if he ever get it aligned properly

Do you mean the outer shell? If thats all that broke, it does not matter at all. Its just there to protect the real HID capsule. I always laugh when people to sell them and mention the bulb was never touched by hands - it does not matter, thats what the outer shell is for! Well and to filter UV and heat. Now if the smaller actual HID capsule is broke, game over.

Depends what part exactly your talking about unity. The first gen bulbs don't have that cover I think your talking about...

Its been done by a guy on here.
He put a new bulb on the old base
But I don't know if he ever get it aligned properly

I did...two of them. The first one I just eyeballed it and apparently my eyeball was a bit high. The second one was spot on

Why do people replace the whole module if all you need is the glass bulb?

To clarify its a 97 mark viii with the square connector plug. There is only a nub of glass left with two wires sticking out. It seems to me that I could yank it out the nub with pliers and put glass bulb in its place. I will try an upload a picture later.

rayner601 - what bulb did you use? Is there anything special for getting the bulb out or putting one in?

Your posts still make little to no sense. Sounds like the actual HID bulb itself is broken.
They get hot enough that if it got wet or was touched while on it would shatter. Finding OEM HID bulbs is getting very very hard.

I just happen to have one for sale in a thread right below this one. First person to hit $100 plus shipping gets it. Right now the high bid is $76 and I am ending the bids by this time tomorrow so if you want it, there ya go.

Rayner could you do a write up on how you put a new
Bulb on an old base please

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=64196

To simplify what is in that thread
Crush all the outer glass from the two wires coming out of the ballast
Dig out most of the silicone from the ballast
Trim the wires protruding from the ballast, but do not cut them short (1/6-1/8" above the ballast mounting surface)
Remove base from ANY HID bulb
Using liquid solder, connect the wires to each wire on the bulb
Using JB Quick, glue the bulb to the base
Test.

If at all possible, make a jig out of something like stryofoam so that you can get the bulb aligned with the ballast. You can't eyeball this. You won't be able to get the light pattern correctly aligned once it's in the headlamp housing.

Members online

No members online now.
Back