2002 LS Buying Question. 2002 vs 2006

AshKetchem

New LVC Member
Reaction score
So I went car shopping at a Ford Dealership yesterday and originally planned to buy a Ford Fusion when the dealer showed me a 'deal of the month' item they had. Its was 2002 Lincoln LS 100% clean carfax (from the day it went off the lot its been logged). Maintenance, oil changes and all. No accidents, no exterior damage, no interior damage. 1-owner and everything is functioning perfectly

The car is at 76k miles and they were selling for $8975.. Thats a decent deal 9k for a 76k lincoln, but thne I considered the fact that as a luxary car the repairs and such could get expensive. Being a college student the last thing I want to worry about for my first car is having to go pay $1000 to get some problem fixed.

With this, the dealer mentioned their special warranty for the car. They can cover the car from bumper to bumper for 36k miles or 3years (whichever comes first) for an additional $2600.. So taking me to 112k I figure by then I'll decide to either replace it or use my experience with it to determine if I DID want to buy another warranty

Theyre working out the details and cleaning it up for me to go tomorrow but I havent given them my downpayment or anything yet until I go in tomorrow (monday). My question here is would it be a wise choice to TAKE the warranty or try going without it? I want to keep the car extremely well maintained. Routine tuneups / oil changes etc.

Now when I got home yesterday I decided to look around at other lincoln price to compare and I ran across a 2006 lincoln in the area from a Lincoln dealership). This 2006 is going for 11,990 with 1-owner carfax and again basically listing everything from day one, detailed carfax like the 2002. I ASSUME this is without a warranty here but would you go for the 2002 or the 2006? Warranty needed or not? (Also found a clean 2003 with 66k miles for $8000 from some Suburu dealership though with 2 owners)

TL;DR.
Clean carfax 76k milles 2002 Lincoln LS v8 $9000 or $11600 with 3year/36mile warranty
vs
Clean carfax 73k miles 2006 Lincoln LS $12000 presumably no warranty

Even if you know your way around a tool room, it is a good Idea to go with a warranty. I own a 2002 and I must admit. I do like to 2006. If I had the choice it would be the first pic.

Sit down and assign a point value to each Pro & con. The vehicle with the highest score wins!

Absolutely, go for the 2006. There were over 500 improvements made between gen I and gen II.
I test drove a gen I (new) and didn't like it. A few years later, I test drove a gen II and loved it (so much, that I bought two of them).

In my opinion, $9K is too much for an 02.
Aftermarket warranties are usually pretty close to useless. They know what is likely to fail, and they exclude coverage for the most likely things.

Usually, a Lincoln from a Lincoln dealership will be "certified." This means it will have a short time period warranty, but that warranty will cover just about everything.

So I went car shopping at a Ford Dealership yesterday and originally planned to buy a Ford Fusion when the dealer showed me a 'deal of the month' item they had. Its was 2002 Lincoln LS 100% clean carfax (from the day it went off the lot its been logged). Maintenance, oil changes and all. No accidents, no exterior damage, no interior damage. 1-owner and everything is functioning perfectly

The car is at 76k miles and they were selling for $8975.. Thats a decent deal 9k for a 76k lincoln, but thne I considered the fact that as a luxary car the repairs and such could get expensive. Being a college student the last thing I want to worry about for my first car is having to go pay $1000 to get some problem fixed.

With this, the dealer mentioned their special warranty for the car. They can cover the car from bumper to bumper for 36k miles or 3years (whichever comes first) for an additional $2600.. So taking me to 112k I figure by then I'll decide to either replace it or use my experience with it to determine if I DID want to buy another warranty

Theyre working out the details and cleaning it up for me to go tomorrow but I havent given them my downpayment or anything yet until I go in tomorrow (monday). My question here is would it be a wise choice to TAKE the warranty or try going without it? I want to keep the car extremely well maintained. Routine tuneups / oil changes etc.

Now when I got home yesterday I decided to look around at other lincoln price to compare and I ran across a 2006 lincoln in the area from a Lincoln dealership). This 2006 is going for 11,990 with 1-owner carfax and again basically listing everything from day one, detailed carfax like the 2002. I ASSUME this is without a warranty here but would you go for the 2002 or the 2006? Warranty needed or not? (Also found a clean 2003 with 66k miles for $8000 from some Suburu dealership though with 2 owners)

TL;DR.
Clean carfax 76k milles 2002 Lincoln LS v8 $9000 or $11600 with 3year/36mile warranty
vs
Clean carfax 73k miles 2006 Lincoln LS $12000 presumably no warranty

They are asking way too much for the 02. Go for the 06 and get an aftermarket warranty.

I have aftermarket warranty on my LS. I paid $1500 for it and the car is covered for 3 years.
The benefit of it all, is that i can still drop the car off to Ford to get all the work done with my aftermarket warranty.I recently had the steering shaft changed in my 05 and it was $750 dollar fix. Ford took care of it and i didn't pay a cent.

Look harder! for that kind of money you can get a lower mileage '06. I just saw one in a local dealer lot yesterday for $11,900 with 53k miles, one owner. Besides the '06 has the cool LSE front bumper

2006 Get that one and actually the 03 is not a bad price for that but if I would choose the 06 has the least problems out of all the years and also the 06 has more horsepower than the 02 I have a 01 and a 04 and the GenII is way better and less problems.

I have to agree, 9 grand for a 1st gen is way to much. You can find a 06 for around that if you look harder, none of us on here with gen 1's paid 9 grand unless it was new..

After my wife bought her '05 Sport V-8 I was determined I was getting an LS because I liked hers so much. I checked MOST years and models and it took alot of looking and found an '06 w/ 44k miles for $12,000. It is the best decision I could have made. Most, but not all, quirks had been worked out by '06. I also like the LSE look. I also like the 17" 5-spoke stock wheels.

none of us on here with gen 1's paid 9 grand unless it was new..

I did! I paid close to $15k for my 00 after financing but that was in 04. 06 LSE's didn't even exist yet:) that was actualy one hell of a deal at the time. I remember they were easily going for 18k & that was with alot of miles. Mine had only 49k when I bought it.

I don't know I love my Gen1. This is the second LS I've owned in my life and second Gen1. BUTT don't get me wrong, I'm in the process of finding a Gen2 LSE/06 LS. Both my Gen1s have been very good to me.

06 is everything the 02 is but much better. Also the leather in most cases is in much better condition.

Besides the '06 has the cool LSE front bumper

That right there is why I bought my '06. Well worth the money. Add a spoiler to the trunk and you are set.

I bought mine with 4-months of the factory ford bumper to bumper still on it and only 27K-miles in May 2010. It was an off-lease. It did cost me more then a 50K-mi '06 but it was worth it. Paid $16K for it before warranty and all the other crap. They 50K-mi '06s were going for around $13-14 at the time.

LOL....except in most cases the 06 owners spent much more than others.

That's why I'm going to wait another year or two. Price should drop on them then I'll have the first model LS & the last :)

Update:

First, I dont even know when this thread finally got approved, it wasnt around for awhile so I wasnt sure if it would get posted lol.

At the time I actually needed a car in a hurry to start training for my new job where not having a car would make things a bit impossible for me. I dont know much about the aftermarket warranties but I did go with the 2006 and got a Ford premium care warranty with it, 3yrs or 36k miles. I heard to make sure the warranty covers issues with the exhaust? Well it does, among practically everything else

I may have been able to shop around a bit and get something with a few less miles but I'm perfectly happy with the purchase and I'm glad that everyone was recommending the 06 anyway. Looking to add some things to it in the future. This one didnt come with a navigation system (Some do and some dont? or what) so I'm looking to change the entire radio in the future and get a new radio/Navigation put in there.

A website I saw for customization is CariD.com is this the best one or does anyone know of others? Preferably ones where they let me select the car I have so I know 100% that everything is compatible. Thanks again

Search the website and you find all the answers you need in terms of customization and whats out there for the LS.

Most of the parts can be found on ebay. Magnaflow makes a drop in full catback exhaust, but most of us just get custom setups welded in.

Angel eyes, led conversion, wheels, and lowering are some other things you can do. Also k&n makes a cold air intake for the ford thunderbird which fits the ls like a glove.

Radio is your standard double din, youll need a kit and harness. (can also get a single din but double din is the chit).

... This one didnt come with a navigation system (Some do and some dont? or what) so I'm looking to change the entire radio in the future and get a new radio/Navigation put in there...

Yes, the LS came with various trim levels and options. Attached is the 06 brochure. It's a PDF, but this site won't allow big PDFs. Just select save as and remove the .DOC from the end and you should be able to view it.

Attachments

• 06_lincolnls_brochure.pdf.doc
    282.9 KB · Views: 193
I always thought the gen1 was better looking then gen2, but as they say even a donkey looks like a Giselle in it's mothers eye's.

I Love my 06! I've had it a whole year and haven't changed a COP or degas bottle. Nothing! IMHO go for the 06 you wont be sorry!

Members online

No members online now.
Back