Can you figure out why it exploded?

Frogman

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I promise to nicer if you promise to be smarter.
Aside from the gaping hole in the side of this differential, what do you guys suppose is the reason for it exploding?

I already know the answer, as should most anyone who knows what a differential is.

P7100444.jpg

P7100445.jpg

P7100443.jpg

P7100446.jpg

Well, that pinion gear is bone dry and rusted, so I'd guess that the diff was ran with a low oil level?

That's right...

This is what happens when you ignore regular maintenance checks. Now, we're out who knows how much to get another axle installed. All because the person driving that truck is too lazy (or, I'm starting to think too stupid), to pull that diff plug and check the oil level once in a while.

This is the same guy who wants a brand new company bought truck. Oh, he is a laugh a minute, this guy is.

Hmm... I should probably service the diffs etc. in the wife's SUV soon - something I've neglected due to no noise or apparent leaks.

That diff must have been noisy for a while before letting go - would have expected the driver to notice that.

No argument there... but when the driver has his head so far up his ass that he's breathing through his nipples... Such noises may not reach all the way there.

Either way... It wouldn't hurt to check your differentials, everyone.

That diff must have been noisy for a while before letting go - would have expected the driver to notice that.

no im sure it "just started making noise" before it ate itself. i always loved hearing that. hell back in my working days :shifty: i had a lady come in that had drove her focus with bad rear wheel bearings till the right rear wheel passed her. her response, "it just started making noise today" BS! she damn near cut through the spindle before the wheel bearings finally gave up and the wheel came off

That's right...

*******This is the same guy who wants a brand new company bought truck. ****** Oh, he is a laugh a minute, this guy is.

I’m going out on a limb here, but I wouldn’t say to stupid. I’ve worked with truck drivers ever since I was 15. That’s what makes them truck drivers. They aren’t maintenance guys. Hell you’re lucky that they check their oil. Even if they had a bran spanking new truck off Macks showroom floor they would still find something wrong with it ! I do feel for you, having to replace a differential just because the guy didn’t check it. I went through the same thing with our CAT IT-24. Just cause it was my first machine and I knew nothing about it aside from check my damn oil, put hyd. fluid, power shift and new air filters in. Ill tell you one thing I definitely check that :q:q:q:q now! And I can change the screen plug in the tranny valve body in 3 min. flat. Unfortunately if you or the company your working for wants their fleet taken care of they need to invest (it IS an investment) in a maintenance person.

Members online

Back