Replacing Shocks

LDM

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Thinking about replacing the Sport Shocks (with new of the same) when I install the Eibach Lowering Springs.

Did anyone have to buy/replace "anything" other than the shocks... like these shock cushion mounts?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Shoc...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Shoc...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ANCH...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Some of the sites listing the shocks mention a Shock Kit, others list just the shock... what's the difference?
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocat...l=LS&year=2002&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

Thanks,
Dan (LDM)

You can reuse the stock parts, unless you want to spend the money to save the little bit of work pulling the stock assemblies apart.

I'm planning on buying new strut mounts. Don't make sense to put in new shocks and springs with worn strut mounts. Like mentioned above, you can re used the old ones. It's personal preference.

I'm planning on buying new strut mounts. Don't make sense to put in new shocks and springs with worn strut mounts. Like mentioned above, you can re used the old ones. It's personal preference.

I wouldn't waste the money. I've changed the shocks 4 times on my daughter's 2000 (172K miles) and reused the original shock mounts with no issues. I don't believe the mount is a wear item like it is with a strut.

Thinking about replacing the Sport Shocks (with new of the same) when I install the Eibach Lowering Springs.

Did anyone have to buy/replace "anything" other than the shocks... like these shock cushion mounts?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ANCH...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Some of the sites listing the shocks mention a Shock Kit, others list just the shock... what's the difference?
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocat...l=LS&year=2002&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

Thanks,
Dan (LDM)

If you really wanted to replace all that you could just get the quick struts from Ford. Then sell the OE springs off that come on them.

I'd just do like the other suggested though, re-use what you have unless they are damaged.

That's the problem. There seems to be too much mis-information about these. When I talked to a local Lincoln Dealership (today), they only listed the "Kit" but they didn't know what came with it exactly, and they were out of stock. They also said there is no such thing as a Quick Strut (packaged with springs). I am beginning to believe the Quick Strut is a figment of the Internet's Imagination. These are shocks. These are not struts. These terms seem to get tossed around and used on websites (including tascaparts)... makes one uncertain of what you'd really get if you ordered online.

This is my only car, and I didn't want to get it apart (either at home or in a shop) and find that I need other parts to get these eibach springs installed. I don't want to have to come up with more money during the install (and/or find out parts are not in stock locally), and thought I'd ask others what they needed or recommended, and buy things upfront. Sounds like "Your Mileage May Vary" kind of thing... people had different experiences and some replaced the mount cushion and others didn't. Nothing I have seen, nor anyone I have talked to can tell me what is in the "Kit" and if it includes the mount cushions that I linked to in my first post.

PlanB:
I think I'd like to get "everything" and have the Eibach's compressed and installed with the new Sport Shocks, and have it ready to install. Remove the old springs and shocks as one unit, and install the new ones. What does that take? What parts of the car/shocks/mounts/cushions/nuts/bolts etc that I need to buy upfront, so that I can have 4 ready to install eibach springs with shocks (pre-compressed) ready to go? (I will have it all assembled upfront and have the spring compressed etc).

I will talk to Max on Monday (already PM'd him) and hopefully get the real story on Shocks, Kits, Quick Struts.

I think I'd like to get "everything" and have the Eibach's compressed and installed with the new Sport Shocks, and have it ready to install. Remove the old springs and shocks as one unit, and install the new ones. What does that take?.

Excellent plan. All you need is a spring compressor to install the springs. Use the current top mount and bottom seat. Be patient putting the new set-up in; it only goes back in one way. Having someone up top will be a huge help to align the shock as the assembly gets heavy quickly! I've been involved in quite a few spring changes and it really is a simple, straight forward operation. Two of us had the time down to just over an hour for all four.

That means I need to buy top mounts and bottom seats.

That's a start... what else to build a complete shock/spring assembly and have it compressed/assembled externally from the car (leaving my car intact with the original shocks/springs and driveable).

Looking at Amazon for all 4 shocks with free shipping would be $313.40

Can someone verify these are the correct parts for '02 LS V8 "Sport" shocks:

Front: Motorcraft 1W4Z-18124-DA, AST25
Amazon.com: Motorcraft AST25 Front Quick Strut Assembly for select Lincoln LS models: Automotive

Rear: Motorcraft XW4Z-18125-BA, AT704G
Amazon.com: Motorcraft AT704G Rear Shock Absorber for select Lincoln LS models: Automotive

I have searched using google and lvc, but this still needs verified before I order (to make sure they are not "Base" or "Euro" shock part numbers).

Thanks,
Dan (LDM)

This is what I got for my 01 LS with sport shocks:

SDC11908.jpg

SDC11909.jpg

SDC11910.jpg

This is what I got for my 01 LS with sport shocks:
According to tascaparts.com part# lookup on the boxes you have pictured:
The ...18v125-va is the rear kit shock w/o standard suspension, performance suspension.
The ...18v124-h is the front kit shock for base, european, standard suspenions.

So that is why I am trying to verify what the correct part# is... as what you have is a Kit... and nothing mentions Sport Shock.

What's in the box besides the shock absorber?

I just talked to Max, these are the correct part numbers for '02 LS V8 "Sport" Shocks:

Ford/Lincoln does not sell any "Quick Struts" or "Kits"... just the shock absorbers.

LeaSr77 - Sounds like you may have the Euro Shocks.

I talked to two Lincoln dealerships, they have never stocked the LS Shock Mounts, but they replace the shocks all the time. Parts guy said to just replace the Springs & Shocks... skip the mounts. If it was needed they would stock it (as they do stock the Shocks). Since Arizona doesn't stock the mounts, then they must not dry up and become brittle too much.

Dam I'm going to have to check into that, thanks Dan I got your PM. I don't know how they didn't give me the right ones, when I gave them my VIN number to verify everything. I was under the impression that euro shocks were discontinued anyway. I'm glad I haven't put them on yet.

That's a lot of part numbers lol. I usually just call maxx and he worries about sending the right parts ;-).

The original point of the thread was to find the correct part numbers for Sport Shocks before I ordered them, and any other parts that may need replacing (mounts etc).

Max charges Shipping and Tax because I am in AZ.

I was able to get them cheaper on the internet (cheaper price at Amazon and with no tax and free shipping).

Many sites have the wrong part numbers or wrong descriptions for the shocks, proved by me answering LeaSr77 with the link above, to show him that the pics he posted of his Sport Shocks were "not" what he requested, even though he provided his VIN#.

Those ordering off the internet should ensure to get the correct part numbers for '00-'02 V8 Sport Shocks:

(Also there is no such thing as a Quick Strut or Kit. That's B.S. internet/dealer mis-information. It's a shock absorber only).

ok i am going to order the eibachs tonight i figured i would change the shocks/struts i have a 06 ls with special suspension. im on rock auto and for the special suspension front (part ast214) is 75.49. Is that for each? or is it for 2? Do i need new strut mounts? Or can i reuse the old ones? any other things than the camber kit that i need to buy?

ok i am going to order the eibachs tonight i figured i would change the shocks/struts i have a 06 ls with special suspension. im on rock auto and for the special suspension front (part ast214) is 75.49. Is that for each? or is it for 2? Do i need new strut mounts? Or can i reuse the old ones? any other things than the camber kit that i need to buy?

That price should be for each.

You don't need to get new mounts but that is up to you. I wasn't gonna buy new ones but I broke one of the bolts off by accident.

I just put eibachs and shocks on my car and am getting it aligned tomorrow, if I don't need my camber kit I will be selling it if you would be interested.

You'll love the feel of new shocks

People should reference the ASH# since you have to dig for the cross reference. Keep in mind numbers recently changed from what LDM mentioned above.
The term "Kit" is a joke. I got front sport shocks and they just came with the foam bushing thing on the shaft, no nuts. I then got rear euro shocks, and they came with nuts, but no bushing. Just reuse everything unless you happen to get something new with your shock.

If I did my homework correctly...

'00-'02 V8 Front "Special" (Sport) Shocks: ASH24464 or BU2Z-18V124-R or 1W4Z-18124-DA or AST25*
'00-'02 V8 Rear "Special" (Sport) Shocks: ASH24468 or BU2Z 18V125 U or XW4Z-18125-BA or AT704G**

'00-'02 V8 Front "Performance" (Euro) Shocks: Inactive; no longer made
'00-'02 V8 Rear "Performance" (Euro) Shocks: ASHV862 or 5U2Z-18V125-VA

*Color code green matches on the last part number, but Tasca can't verify fitment on my vehicle. Price is cheaper.
**No color code in description or fitment on vehicle shown on Tasca. Price is cheaper

Question ???

Those colored (orange & purple) rubber dampeners at the top of my springs,
I can't see them on my old set as the boot most likely covers them.

Are these rubber dampeners supposed to stay on as part of the new assembly ?

Only reason I ask is because I noticed ... these new Shocks in a photo provided by LS Sam and
I do not see any of those colored dampeners on them ... just wondering and would like to know before I head
to the local tire & rim shop here in town and end up looking like I don't know what I'm talking about (again!) :confused:

I'm assuming the dampeners stay on as a unit and are then covered by the boot
anyone.gif

TIA

^ Thanks, guess I got on the "wondering" side of things when I didn't see them in the pic that LS Sam posted,
but after reading up on it a bit further, it's clearly needed and hidden by the boots. Thanks again!

~ bringing my rears into town for RE&RE, Upper control arms should be here this week,
time to put it all back together. so much to do! ... gotta get driving soon!

Those colored (orange & purple) rubber dampeners at the top of my springs,
I can't see them on my old set as the boot most likely covers them.

Are these rubber dampeners supposed to stay on as part of the new assembly ?

Only reason I ask is because I noticed ... these new Shocks in a photo provided by LS Sam and
I do not see any of those colored dampeners on them ... just wondering and would like to know before I head
to the local tire & rim shop here in town and end up looking like I don't know what I'm talking about (again!) :confused:

I'm assuming the dampeners stay on as a unit and are then covered by the boot
anyone.gif

TIA

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=828467243

Man all the stuff from LS looks like it costs as much as my car did, LOL;)

Members online

Back