Last resorts on getting seized/overtorqued lock lugs off?

LowLincoln

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So this morning I woke up to a flat tire. Thought, no prob, I'll get the spare on in 5 minutes. WRONG. The lock lug appears to be halfway stripped so I can't apply full force to turn the thing without the key socket losing its grip, eating away at the lock lug every time I try. The rest of the lugs were also hell to break loose but I got them.

Whoever were the boneheads that over-torqued the lugs need to be thrown into an airplane engine.

I have already tried using propane to heat up the lug, penetrating oil, and hammering the key socket onto the lock lug.

What are my next options?

before you ruin the lock lug take the other 3 off if you can then if you ruin it your not screwed 4 ways , get a metric socket that is a little small pound it on there

As I have stated before, Sears and others sell a set that will take off any locking lug. You can also rent the tool at places like Autozone.

Stop messing with it, take it back to the shop that last installed them and tell them to take them off...then have them replace all of the studs and nuts

As I have stated before, Sears and others sell a set that will take off any locking lug. You can also rent the tool at places like Autozone.

I'll have to check them out. Unfortunately, I am going to need an impact wrench regardless since all the lugs on the car are torqued to 3 million tons per square millimeter. The good part is that there is a place called "Sunbelt Rentals" that rents out air compressors and tools.

Looks like what I need.

I have welded an old socket to a lugnut in a pinch.

Wish I had one of those babies around. Apartment living sucks.

Stop messing with it, take it back to the shop that last installed them and tell them to take them off...then have them replace all of the studs and nuts

I meant to say that wherever the last owner took the car. I've only had it about 2 months now.

You can use an angle grinder(4" or smaller wheel) & trim the lock down on two sides to give it a not round shape. you'll have no issues getting it off with the right sized socket afterwards. You should also tighten the lugnuts on either side of the locknut as much as possible to make it easier to break loose. Or you can dig in & cut the lock off on both sides if you don't mind cut marks around the lug hole(assuming they're non 10 spoke factory wheels).
It's not pretty but it does the trick.

Members online

No members online now.
Back