coils, 2000 v6

I will be doing the coils and PCV valve and elbow this weekend.

So far, I have ordered the valve and elbow from the dealer.

ordered intake manifold gaskets from the internet

and ordered these coils...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270735102889&viewitem=

is there anything else I am missing?

Good luck with those coils, I had one start failing about once a month after getting them. I converted to accel coils and haven't had a single problem yet.

One thing you are missing is Spark plugs. You should seriously consider doing them while you're in there.

New Motorcraft plugs went in <30K ago when the engine was replaced by the dealership.

I will check them, if they are bad, I have 6 new in box Bosch Plat+4's sitting in my garage, as the dealership would not install them when the dropped the new engine in.

Good Luck on this job mine took 4 days!! Do you have a torque wrench? I didn't know I needed one when I did mine...I don't know how experienced you are though they say you can just guesstimate if you are experienced. Again I wish you the best of Luck!!!

New Motorcraft plugs went in <30K ago when the engine was replaced by the dealership.

I will check them, if they are bad, I have 6 new in box Bosch Plat+4's sitting in my garage, as the dealership would not install them when the dropped the new engine in.

I'd stay with the stock motorcraft platinum before I'd go to the +4, I hate those plugs. You don't want the spark to be jumping all over the place, you want one strong spark.

I had the +4s on an lt1 camaro a few years back. They are junk. Left carbon on the cylinder walls. They were not worth the 6 bucks a piece I spent on them.

If they last me a year I will be happy. I've already pulled the intake manifold off once before, and it was about 6 hours to remove and reinstall. So I'm not too concerned with the work. I will be putting 3 coils on the driver's side head before removing the manifold to make sure they work before I do the full install, and then put those 3 on the passenger side, after confirming they are good.

The LS will be gone in a year so as long as they last until then, I really dont care. I've had my eye on a few 08-09 BMW 528i's with the 6 speed manual. But my wife and I have a kid due in July, so her tC has to be replaced first.

She likes the new Ford Edge, but I'm leaning more towards the Acura RDX crossover.

She likes the new Ford Edge, but I'm leaning more towards the Acura RDX crossover.

You're going to have kids in it, get the edge because you'll cry when they get crayons on your seats and floor. In the edge it won't be as big a deal and cheaper to fix. If fact I bet the Edge will cost you less in many ways.

Either way good luck and congratulates!

Good Luck on this job mine took 4 days!! Do you have a torque wrench? I didn't know I needed one when I did mine...I don't know how experienced you are though they say you can just guesstimate if you are experienced. Again I wish you the best of Luck!!!

Guesstimating torque on anything on our engines is a recipe for failure, and is something I would never consider doing. Most people would over-tighten, which crushes gaskets and over-stresses bolts. Crushed gaskets lead to leaks. As for guesstimating 89 in-lb of torque for our intake manifold bolts, that would be a tough one to get right. Any mechanic worth their salt would not be employed for long without a set of torque wrenches that span all of the ranges that exist in our cars, especially engine and suspension bolts, which go up to around 210 ft-lbs on the CV shaft nuts.

You're going to have kids in it, get the edge because you'll cry when they get crayons on your seats and floor. In the edge it won't be as big a deal and cheaper to fix. If fact I bet the Edge will cost you less in many ways.

Either way good luck and congratulates!

I would consider the edge, but the RDX's SH-AWD is 1000X better in the snow than the Edge's AWD system. And for her car, safety is my number one concern.

Comparatively optioned, the Edge comes in around ~36,000 with the RDX a bit higher at ~39,000. My mother has had her 2007 RDX since mid/late 2006, and hasn't had any issues. It has held up to the Cleveland winters pretty well. She likes both cars, but thinks the $3,000 difference is a big deal, so who knows.

check for oil on plugs

you might need new valve cover gaskets, check for oil on plugs, also read jenn's recent post when she did her PCV and gaskets. Good information there.

I had those coils go out in days then another week later. Buy from Alainsdeals ebay and no worries.

I would consider the edge, but the RDX's SH-AWD is 1000X better in the snow than the Edge's AWD system. And for her car, safety is my number one concern.

Comparatively optioned, the Edge comes in around ~36,000 with the RDX a bit higher at ~39,000. My mother has had her 2007 RDX since mid/late 2006, and hasn't had any issues. It has held up to the Cleveland winters pretty well. She likes both cars, but thinks the $3,000 difference is a big deal, so who knows.

I bet it's better for drifting because it's left-right control in the rear :D but that's not what most mom's are concerned about. The edge is rated for 4MPG hwy better MPG, I'd also check insurance rates. I learned the hard way with insurance rates :(

I'm surprised the price difference is so close, but I bet by the time you buy the Edge will have some good deals to make the spread more.

Insurance isn't too bad on either, but its really the resale value I'm worried about. The Acura will hold it's value better than the Ford will.

Both get better mileage than the LS, so to me, pretty much anything over 20mpg is good!

As for the coils, I didn't see any V6 packages from AlainsDeals.

If these fail, then they fail. Oh well, I will order 3 motorcraft coils for the pass side if these ones go bad.

I almost pulled the trigger on an 09 Alpine White BMW 528i with a manual trans today.... then the wife called while I was on the test drive and I had to say no :(

Heres some photos...

Photo0202.jpg

Photo0198.jpg

all 3 coils on the passenger side were OEM original parts.

all 3 coils on the driver's side were Motorcraft replacement.

There is definitely oil on the valve covers and into the lower intake manifold plenum, so I will be doing VCG's today as well.

We actually got the intake manifold (both upper and lower) off the car in about an hour, but we snapped 5 of the 7 bolts holding the strut tower brace, as it would appear Mike Bass Ford did not use any anti-seize on them when they did the motor install. the two bolts we were able to remove were rusted so bad that we have to clean the threaded hole out and replace the bolts. We're going to try to remove the remaining bolts and retap the holes.

Will post more pics after we finish.

Ended up getting new OEM motorcraft platinums, then gapped them to .051.

Most of them were pretty out of spec, so I'm glad I actually gapped them.

also did new VCG's and added a bit of RTV gasket maker just to be safe.

had to replace 3 vacuum lines due to the stupid hard plastic lines breaking. and the rubber joint right after the PCV elbow had a big crack in it, so I replaced that with a standard reducer from autozone.

we drilled out the bolts for the strut tower brace, and retapped for larger bolts, so that wasnt an issue.

Ended up getting new OEM motorcraft platinums, then gapped them to .051.

Most of them were pretty out of spec, so I'm glad I actually gapped them.

Yea, being out of spec can't help a coils life. I say gap to .051 because that's what the jaguar spec is.

Im completely new to this site and the LS, but I think I have the "PCV Elbow" problem. If anybody who has done this before and can help with some info or pix that would be great. Im planning on replacing following parts while im in there.
-6 new plugs
-3 ignition coils (pass side)
-plenum gasket
-valve cover gasket
-pcv valve
-pcv elbow??? (dealer says he has no idea what im talking about)

Im completely new to this site and the LS, but I think I have the "PCV Elbow" problem. If anybody who has done this before and can help with some info or pix that would be great. Im planning on replacing following parts while im in there.
-6 new plugs
-3 ignition coils (pass side)
-plenum gasket
-valve cover gasket
-pcv valve
-pcv elbow??? (dealer says he has no idea what im talking about)

What year is your LS? The elbow thing went away from 2003 on.

Its a 2002, Ive had a small leak from valve cover gasket (rear/pass side) but just recently after about 5 mins of running the idle drops and you can a vaccume leak coming from under the intake.

hi all! how can i reach the lower part of the intake manifold to replace lower set of gaskets on a 2002 lincoln LS 3.0

not sure if you replaced the valve cover gasket yet but the v6's aren't known to be bad like the v8's. I found some oil on my VC when i replaced my coils about 2 months ago and i did a little bit research and found out that there are 2 intake manifold tuning valve that are known to leak on the VC and back of the engine onto the exhaust giving me a oil burning smell once in a while

Here is a repair thread where they changed out the IMT valves (among other things):
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=78654

hope this helps and not to late because it a $.40 fix and 2 months later no oil leak and the cheap ebay coils work flawlessly:D

Members online

No members online now.
Back