S-Type, LS rear suspension interchange?

Gus_Mahn

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
My '03 LS8 needs the driver rear toe link replaced on the left rear wheel. Jaguar calls it a stabilizing link, it looks the same as my LS's in pictures. I know shocks don't directly interchange, but some of the suspension says Jaguar right on it. The reason I'm asking is that Ford's part is on backorder until September. Here is the Jaguar part.

Thank you for the reply, but nope. That's a sway bar end link. I need the the tie rod that goes from the rear side of the knuckle to the cradle. It aligns and maintains toe on the rear wheels. I can wobble the toe on the left rear about 1/8"-1/4". The passenger side won't move at all.

BTW at 170,000 miles, I'm pretty familiar with sway bar links on the LS. I've changed all of them on my LS. A couple have been changed more than once. Mine have been VERY Annoying(read noisy) when bad.

I'm sure we all wished that Moog would make a replacement for it.

You do know that link allows passive 4-wheel steering, don't you? Inside that conical section is a collapsible bushing.

You do know that link allows passive 4-wheel steering, don't you? Inside that conical section is a collapsible bushing.

I'm not suggesting they get rid of the passive 4-wheel steering, I'm suggesting they build one a little more stoutly so they aren't replaced so often. Both of mine are gone at 42K-miles and there seems to be a shortage of them. Evidently you replace these things like brake pads. That's my only real issue. And no, I'm not going to learn how to drive like I'm 70 to make them last longer either :p

Next time I go to the dealer I'll see if they've been replaced before. That would be pretty bad if they went out every 20K-miles.

I'm not suggesting they get rid of the passive 4-wheel steering, I'm suggesting they build one a little more stoutly so they aren't replaced so often. Both of mine are gone at 42K-miles and there seems to be a shortage of them. Evidently you replace these things like brake pads. That's my only real issue. And no, I'm not going to learn how to drive like I'm 70 to make them last longer either :p

Next time I go to the dealer I'll see if they've been replaced before. That would be pretty bad if they went out every 20K-miles.

My only point was the engineering that would need to be done. I doubt any company will spend any development money on an orphan car with limited production.

Weird, I have yet to find the need to replace these links. The 2000 has 172K miles, one '06 has 55K and the other 75K.

My only point was the engineering that would need to be done. I doubt any company will spend any development money on an orphan car with limited production.

Weird, I have yet to find the need to replace these links. The 2000 has 172K miles, one '06 has 55K and the other 75K.

Maybe I'm just lucky and mine wore out early. Who knows. It does seem to be a somewhat common issue with the LS as I am not the only person looking for them.

i was having problem with the rear end wanting to just hop all around, i was told that these links where the problem when i went to have an alignment done

i was having problem with the rear end wanting to just hop all around, i was told that these links where the problem when i went to have an alignment done

I had three issues. The first being a clunk/thud at low speed which was sway bar links. Initially it reminded me of bad sway bar bushings but those seem to be fine. Can't really tell that well as they are kind of a PITA to look at.

Second was a high-speed vibration that would sometimes come and go. I figured this was both.

Third was that the car would feel like it was dogtracking sometimes when accelerating straight or coming out of a turn into a straight normally(like making a left at a light). This I attribute to the rear links.

There was play in both the swaybar link balljoints and in the lateral bar. So, replace them all. I figured I shouldn't be able to make the tire move by hand if they were good.

Funny part is my Lincoln dealer supposedly did an alignment and a gazillion point inspection on my car 1500-miles ago and said everything was fine. Yet one more reason why I am not going to them anymore.

Have you tried Rockauto.com. Seems like they have a good supply of LS parts on hand.

Have you tried Rockauto.com. Seems like they have a good supply of LS parts on hand.

Yes. I got the sway bar links from them. The lateral bar is a dealer-only item though. I ordered it last week from Tasca but have yet to hear from them on when I can expect it. Looks like I'll just swap the links out and make due.

mine would be fine if you where going a steady speed, but if either you gave it a little gas or let off the gas, the rear would try to swing around a good bit.

mine would be fine if you where going a steady speed, but if either you gave it a little gas or let off the gas, the rear would try to swing around a good bit.

Yeah, mine was fine at a slow cruise (45mph) or coming to a stop. But under moderate or better acceleration it would feel like it was dogtracking. If you were turning and was giving it some gas (not even heavily) it would dogtrack and you would end up going a few hundred feet straight down the road feeling like you were power sliding basically until you let up.

Sounds like yours were worn more then mine. Either way, I shouldn't be able to feel any play in that lateral bar with my hand. I'd guess there was around 1/8" play in it. It was enough you could see the tire move.

I have the same problem as the OP except my problem is with a 2003 jaguar s-type. My links aren't loose yet but they are very stiff and the rubber shield around both end joints are broken off. From looking on several ebay listings, there are lateral bars that are compatible with both the LS and the Jaguar. However, this is only up to 2002. The same part will not support both from the model year 2003 onwards. Hope this helps someone.

Members online

No members online now.
Back