Another Coil Option

I know nothing about Weapon X and it simes kinda ricery but I figured I'd post this up. They are expensive but it seems to be an alternative to Ford, cheapy Ebay, and Accel coils

http://www.weaponxperformance.com/catalogv137/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=37

Before you jump, you may want to keep an eye on the progress we are having on installing the new WeaponX2 COPS on 02-05 Thunderbirds. I have just installed a set on my 03 TBird with the same 3.9L engine you run in the LS and the COPS are not ready for prime time.
They perform GREAT when they are working but we are having problems right now that we are working with WeaponX on to resolve. COPS have only been available for about 2 weeks now and have been purchased by a number of TBird owners but have only been installed and tested by 4 owners so far with mixed results.
The ones in the 02 seem to be working OK so far but the ones in the 03-05 models are not working. We think that is due to a difference in how the PCM (ECM to some) controls the COPS & plugs between the 02 model and the 03-05 models.
Right now we think this can be resolved but you may want to watch our progress on www.thunderbirdnest.com. The thread specifically on our problems with the COPS is at http://www.thunderbirdnest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31322

Hope to have this resolved soon because we love the way they run. Much smoother than stock COPS plus they add a few HP.

Saw these long ago when replacing the stockers and moved to the accels instead because of others doing it successfully and price.. seems the weapon x's price has skyrocketed since I last looked! do the weapon x need the polarity switch too maybe to fix some issues?

An update on the WeaponX COPS test being done on 3.9L Thunderbirds. After a lot of testing, it has been determined that the WeaponX X2 COPS will work OK on the 02 TBirds but not on the 03-05 TBirds. The WeaponX COPS are not cheap ($599 for set of 8) but they really make the 3.9L run smoother plus they offer a small HP kick due to the hotter spark.

The issue is tied to the changes Ford made in 03 to the Tune loaded in the PCM. We have not been able to isolate what Ford did different starting in 03 but it is making the X2 COPS incompatible with our engines. We even tried a set of the EFX COPS (slightly lower power) to no avail. The 02 owners are enjoying smoother running engines with increased HP but the 03-05 owners have not been able to make the COPS work. No one has run a set in an LS that I am aware of yet but I would expect the same results with 02 and prior years vs the 03-06 LS models.

WeaponX has not given up yet. They desire to run some dyno test with a 03 or later 3.9L engine to see if they can identify what Ford did different starting in 03 vs prior years. We know the HP was increased in 03 via variable valve timing but we do not know what Ford did to the tune overall. We have not found a TBird owner that is available to support the test but if any LS owner is interested, WeaponX wants to run the test at DeltaTune in Sanford FL (north side of Orlando). If interested in the test, contact Mark at WeaponX at 519-341-4125 or email him at mark@weaponxperformance.com. Tell him PauD sent you.

I am just one of the TBird owners who helped WeaponX out in the testing. I have no vested interest in WeaponX. Mark at WeaponX has been fantastic to work with as we worked our way thru this initial introduction of the new model COPS. Since the COPS are not working in the 03+ models, he is providing a full refund to all the 03+ TBird owners who purchased a set. First class operation.

Paul, have you tried ones from the 3v mustang for the 03+? They're cheaper and they'll fit minus the cop covers. And you need to reverse polarity..

I was going to say. Maybe if they reversed the polarity on the 03+ coils it would help
We were aware that some Mustangs had the polarity reversed. One of the first things we checked. Not the case here.

Have not tested the Mustang coil myself but I saw where others here had done that and eventually they started throwing codes. There is something very different on our 03-05 TBirds and I will bet that the 03-06 LS has the same difference.

Members online

Back